Useful tips for new players

I thought I would start a thread where "veteran" players could drop some useful tips for players who have never played.
Tip 1) lasers kill shields. Bullets kill armour. If you can fit them both do so and switch in combat appropriately.

Last edited:
The one thing that I wish I'd known from the start is when flying towards your destination in supercruise, go full speed until you get 8 secs away then quickly drop your throttle into the blue bar to arrive without overshooting or taking too long.

With practice this can be done at 6 secs but as a beginner I'd start at about 10 or 12 until you're confident :)

I'd also recommend using 25% incremental throttle control on a controller, four clicks up four clicks down much easier and quicker to control speed without needing to look at the throttle display ;)

Last edited:
as a veteran of Elite, Elite 2 and Frontier: First Encounters my 2 pieces of advice are:

1: always have a fuel scoop. because you never know when you will need to make an emergency jump out of danger, especially if you have a full cargo hold and have used all you fuel to get some where and pirates appear.

2: And for explorers it would be always have a note book and pen handy, because unlike the PC we can't copy and paste stuff from the game and it will make remembering things in game you may need to use out of game

Never trust the docking computer (it will kill you some day)

Keep your old ships (completely set up) the fall from grace is much less painful if you do.

Never fly what you can't rebuy - a lack of funds on your part is not a bug but a problem between the seat & stick.

Your (NPC) opponents level is far more important than the ship they are flying - the higher they are the more likely they are to kill you (even if they are only in a sidey). This is not a bug either.

The game is entirely biased against you - live with it.

Never trust the docking computer (it will kill you some day)

Keep your old ships (completely set up) the fall from grace is much less painful if you do.

Never fly what you can't rebuy - a lack of funds on your part is not a bug but a problem between the seat & stick.

Your (NPC) opponents level is far more important than the ship they are flying - the higher they are the more likely they are to kill you (even if they are only in a sidey). This is not a bug either.

The game is entirely biased against you - live with it.

it like neil degrasse tyson said "the galaxy is not nice and pretty, everything in it is trying to kill us from day 1", fly safe commanders o7

Just been interdicted? Target a different system to jump to rather than trying to jump back into local supercruise as 'high waking' can't be stopped by the mass lock from another ship, while 'low waking' can be.

Just been interdicted? Target a different system to jump to rather than trying to jump back into local supercruise as 'high waking' can't be stopped by the mass lock from another ship, while 'low waking' can be.

On a similar note, being Interdicted, don't fight it, submit and run. If you fight it and lose you come out in a flat spin. Of course that's just my opinion.

On a similar note, being Interdicted, don't fight it, submit and run. If you fight it and lose you come out in a flat spin. Of course that's just my opinion.

Actually, I'd go against this. In my opinion it's a very good idea to fight the interdiction if you win then your interdictor won't catch up with you again while you are in that system (they may reappear after a jump or two). You don't even spin anymore like you used to if you lose.

Another good tip from this old commander, know when to run. Sometimes fighting isn't the best thing to do.

Top Bottom