Uses for a second monitor

I just finished watching one of the MANY YouTube videos on Elite Dangerous. The author did a really wonderful editing job,with external shots of the ship, shots from underneath going thru the station entryway, the landing gear deploying, etc. It made me think, it would be cool if the game did this (by itself in real time) utilizing the second monitor and extra processing power of the video card, if any. It could be entertaining during the auto dock, or a dogfight. I'm sure they won't do this, it would be some nice eye candy.

As a side note, a more functional approach could be using the second monitor to display the side and bottom panels, whichever would otherwise display on the main display.

Then we'd need a 3rd monitor, to actually find stuff about elite dangerous! (Joking, ED just does a very bad job at presenting information).

Three monitors is for amateurs :D
vsIhEOz.jpg

Since the photo I've added another monitor. Shall have to take a new pic.

Top 3 to play ED
Bottom two monitors pictured for Inara and EDDB/Coriolis
Additional new monitor for EDDiscovery which generates a human readable version of the player journal.

Last edited:
Its a real shame Frontier haven't included the "Hooks"/APIs to allow export of the UI screens to other panels...would be great to have them exported to touchscreens or lilliput type screens in conjunction with Cougar MFDs so they were available to interact with...

Three monitors is for amateurs :D
https://i.imgur.com/vsIhEOz.jpg

not sure if diogenes syndrome or you just need to have it all and play it all! :D

i stowed my trackir the moment i got the rift.

but i have some indiscreet questions!

- you really play elite with that steering wheel around? do you use it for srv?
- what's your hotas? i don't recognize the throttle and the stick ... looks vagely like vpc constellation?
- what's the panel/gadget with the red light in the center for?
- what's the window with the unreadable blob of text in the center display?
- where's the fridge? you don't have a fridge??? :O

utilizing the second monitor and extra processing power of the video card, if any

no such thing. if there is you should buy a bigger monitor, and there's never enough for vr. i would frown upon frontier if they wasted my computing power without an option to disable that.

It could be entertaining during the auto dock, or a dogfight. I'm sure they won't do this, it would be some nice eye candy.

As a side note, a more functional approach could be using the second monitor to display the side and bottom panels, whichever would otherwise display on the main display.

yes, actually, it would be cool ... as small screens inside the cockpit. and while external cam is cool for screenshotters and youtubers, i would prefer we had camera drones with some low end close-circuit displays in the cockpit, as was once suggested.

Hi,

My second monitor is used for voice attack and for the Trade Computer Extension which is very helpful!

My third monitor is on a separate pc so I can surf while playing ED and use other applications such as Inra.

not sure if diogenes syndrome or you just need to have it all and play it all! :D

i stowed my trackir the moment i got the rift.

but i have some indiscreet questions!

- you really play elite with that steering wheel around? do you use it for srv?
- what's your hotas? i don't recognize the throttle and the stick ... looks vagely like vpc constellation?
- what's the panel/gadget with the red light in the center for?
- what's the window with the unreadable blob of text in the center display?
- where's the fridge? you don't have a fridge??? :O

● I use the track IR when I need to play using the monitors rather than the Oculus (which you can just about make out on the seat of the chair). That's usually logistics like moving ships, checking EDDB, updating inara etc. (You can see the headphones draped over the right elbow support in the added picture below).

● The HOTAS was the X65F, the ONLY decent, full metal, lifetime lasting joystick SAITEK ever made. Oh, and it's force driven, so the shaft doesn't move, instead it reads the force being applied and converts that to axes offsets.... Required a lot of getting used to it, but it was worth it. I have since replaced it with a Dual, conventional position VPC stick setup which I intend to use for Star Citizen.... But TBH Elite Dangerous is better with a throttle than dualies.... T_T
I never thought I would say this, but the Saitek X65F stick, handle, base and shafts all feel much higher quality than the VPCs I'm using now. (Haven't used the VPC throttle.)

● The panel with the red light is one of the button panels from the Saitek Pro Flight system (the red button is the safety/eject/selfdestruct etc) button. The panel is mounted on their MFD framework. It's hard to see, because it's black, but there is another empty frame to the right of the panel with the red button on which I intended to mount an MFD but they're so hard to get in Japan, I gave up and use it to mount an iPhone with Roccat.

● That panel with the blob of text is the indispensable EDDiscovery which keeps a log of erm... Everything... Travel history, credits and debits, payments to crew, engineering recipes etc. It syncs with EDSM and EDDN to keep everything held together in a vicelike grip. I'd be lost without it. When I play, I move EDDiscovery's window to one of the iPads you can see below the centre monitor.

● one of the iPads is connected to the PC using DUET, a piece of software a bit like displaylink that turns an iPad in to a secondary screen (or in my case a quaternary screen :D )

● I like to keep the other iPad independent so that I can watch Netflix or browse the web or compare ships on Coriolis.io.

● Under the right hand monitor is my old iPhone 4s which I run Roccat power grid on with a few extra macros programmed.

● THE STEERING WHEEL - Please don't tell anyone, but I occasionally play other games. It doesn't get in the way because ny arms rest either side of it when I have the rare need to use the keyboard.... VOICE ATTACK FTW!

Here's an image from before I tidied up the cables. There is no wheel, but you can see the MFD framework holding up a tiny 800x480 OLED Displaylink monitor.

● The pedals are a set of sweet MFG Crosswinds which are still as good as the day I bought them!!

rsgsjy5.jpg

I really miss that X65F and may end up digging it out again when playing ED, which due to the gimped yaw and poor lateral/vertical thruster performance doesn't really benefit from a second joystick.

The GodStick: Awesome if you can get used to the force system.

Last edited:
I was hoping you had found a magical way of using the wheel & pedals for the SRV whilst still having the Hotas for flight.

I was hoping you had found a magical way of using the wheel & pedals for the SRV whilst still having the Hotas for flight.

Oh, you CAN do that if you want... I tried it, but it just felt wrong driving with a steering wheel because I've always steered the SRV with my pedals... No, really.

There's no magic required, just bind the steering wheel to the yaw axis... But there is no force feedback from the gravel and stones, unfortunately...

But check out r/eliteracers on Reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteRacers/

Last edited:
Well, if ever there was a case of hardware envy, this is what it feels like. I thought I was excessive with my screens and HOTAS and a few extra buts here and there... but I see I'm just a young Padawan next to GraXXor. Pedals for racing is actually really nice, I wish I had a set for quite a few games, honestly.

I built my system with nVidia surround in mind, but can't ignore the fishbowl effects at the outer ends of the side monitors. There is a solution with simultaneous multi-projection, from nVidia, but F-Dev would have to implement that on their end.

So I new use my outer monitors for videos on one and resources/discord on the other, with the game in the center.

Top Bottom