Using research limpets; Thargoid reactions

[rant] So people are "mad and/or angry" about, and that's not really why I'm writing this, but I have to say something... What are you people smoking? It's like people forgot that FD told us a long time ago that our weapons won't hurt them and our shields won't stop them? So what's with all the salt? We also knew we would be able to "interact" with them on the 2.4 release day and we can... I just don't know why people are so idiotic over this [/rant]

Anyhow, so for all of those wondering if you need a top end engineered ship to interact, the answer is no you don't. Here's a video of me collecting a tissue sample via the new limpets.

Python:
"defense"
Stock hull with no engineering or bulkheads
6C Bi-Weave shields with grade 4 thermal resistant (Thargoid weaponry laughs at all shields and upgrades)
5D Hull reinforcement Package with grade 5 blast resistance (Thargoid weaponry laughs at all shields and upgrades)
Chaff, Heatsink, 2x point defence (Thargoid weaponry laughs at all shields and upgrades)

"offense"
5A Auto Field Maintenance Unit
3A Repair Limpet Controller
1E (it is E I think) Research Limpet Controller
*NO WEAPONS* (Thargoid weaponry laughs at all shields and upgrades)

In the video I'm after one thing, to not die while collecting a sample and then leave . In the interest of full disclosure I attempted this in a shield-less DB-X first... well there's a reason I'm in a Python this time...

Watch in the video that, for me, it didn't turn red or care about me even when I deployed my nonexistent hardpoints (limpets). It only turned red after launching my drone and it stopped and was like "did you just........ why I oughtta !?!!?!"

[video=youtube;QptkU94CYqE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QptkU94CYqE[/video]

Last edited:
Well done. I'm trying to do the same thing in ASP X with 488 HP, but i don't have repair limpets (probably good idea to have some), and i lose 25-30% of the hull per attempt. With a bit more armor plating and corrosive cargo racks, this looks like crazy mining on steroids, fun stuff.

[rant] So people are "mad and/or angry" about, and that's not really why I'm writing this, but I have to say something... What are you people smoking? It's like people forgot that FD told us a long time ago that our weapons won't hurt them and our shields won't stop them? So what's with all the salt? We also knew we would be able to "interact" with them on the 2.4 release day and we can... I just don't know why people are so idiotic over this [/rant]

Anyhow, so for all of those wondering if you need a top end engineered ship to interact, the answer is no you don't. Here's a video of me collecting a tissue sample via the new limpets.

Python:
"defense"
Stock hull with no engineering or bulkheads
6C Bi-Weave shields with grade 4 thermal resistant (Thargoid weaponry laughs at all shields and upgrades)
5D Hull reinforcement Package with grade 5 blast resistance (Thargoid weaponry laughs at all shields and upgrades)
Chaff, Heatsink, 2x point defence (Thargoid weaponry laughs at all shields and upgrades)

"offense"
5A Auto Field Maintenance Unit
3A Repair Limpet Controller
1E (it is E I think) Research Limpet Controller
*NO WEAPONS* (Thargoid weaponry laughs at all shields and upgrades)

In the video I'm after one thing, to not die while collecting a sample and then leave . In the interest of full disclosure I attempted this in a shield-less DB-X first... well there's a reason I'm in a Python this time...

Watch in the video that, for me, it didn't turn red or care about me even when I deployed my nonexistent hardpoints (limpets). It only turned red after launching my drone and it stopped and was like "did you just........ why I oughtta !?!!?!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QptkU94CYqE

Same. Didn't even seem to care much about me stealing meta-alloys right from under it's nose. The research limpet ticked it off though. Wished I'd brought my Python instead. My Cobra's built for exploration with light cargo capacity.

watch
[video=youtube;OPmzaqVGDUk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPmzaqVGDUk[/video]

Edit - Should have honked at it.

Last edited:
Are the Research Limpets only available to Elite/Founder players? I didn't find any out where I was playing.

NecoMachina

N
kLIXUcv.jpg
I am afraid you have to wait. FD never locked items behibd Founders before so I suspect its changed soon. Probably around the same time you can actually do something with the bio sample. :p
Can already do something with the sample. I got a mission to bring 3 samples to Obsidian Orbital for Palin to study. Was one of those new random missions you get out in space (not from a station) and it popped up in my message log not long after I entered Maia.

Last edited:
and for the rest of us??

I'm not an early backer. I had to fight to combat elite to get into founders so trust me when I say I've been there. Searching endlessly for modules. Large Turreted Beams and large Gimballed cannons were holy grail back then. I'd check everywhere you land. Especially in Maia area.

Good. So there are some missions to interact with the Thargoids. Shame the research limpet controllers are so hard to find.

I think the biological matter is different and lays inside active bases. I haven't seen tissue sample (albeit organic too, but all Thargoid stuff technically is) specifically listed. It could be though I'm not 100%

Top Bottom