Using the X52 flight stick and adjusting the axis curves with vjoy and joystick curves

I am trying to use the x52 hotas with elite dangerous but it is terrible to use for combat, I have been researching the vjoy and joystick curves program. When I load the joystick curves program and then try to get it to work with my x52 bindings it will replace only one of the axis either roll, pitch, or yaw. Does anyone know how to make this program work with elite?

Thank you

You made a curve for all the axises you want to replace, right?
When using Joystick Curves, you need to set them up seperately.

1584596403803.png

Then go to the controls in Elite, switch on Virtual axis test loop in JoyCurves (box at the bottom) and click the axis you want to replace. Don't forget to be on the right tab in JoyCurves before mapping the next axis in the controls and to toggle of the test loop before starting the game...

You made a curve for all the axises you want to replace, right?
When using Joystick Curves, you need to set them up seperately.

View attachment 166000

Then go to the controls in Elite, switch on Virtual axis test loop in JoyCurves (box at the bottom) and click the axis you want to replace. Don't forget to be on the right tab in JoyCurves before mapping the next axis in the controls and to toggle of the test loop before starting the game...

Thank you for responding, I have made the curves and I toggle the test loop before starting Elite. I the start Elite dangerous and go into controls to apply the curves to the binds I have sent up for the X52 hotas I apply Roll to Roll, and then apply Pitch to Pitch at that point Elite tells me that the current binding or Keystroke is being used by the roll function. If I assign it to the Pitch the program removes it from the Roll Axis and applies it to the Pitch Axis. I have tried it and applied it when I go into the game I have no Roll Axis only the Pitch.

I hope I have explained this well enough thank you for helping.

Tim

Personally, I think you should drop joystick curves and install joystick gremlin instead. Apart from the fact that the curves interface is a bit easier to work with, it also offers a great macros interface. If you've already got Vjoy working, that's the major hurdle out of the way. If you want to join our discord, I'm happy to give you guest tags and me or one of several others can talk you through it with Joystick Gremlin. I'm actually about to transfer my Elite rig from one PC to another and I will need to redo my curves, so I'll probably make a video very soon.

Another member of my squad has also made this video, but the last part, doing the actual bindings, is very difficult to explain on camera, if you want one of us to talk you through it, just join the discord. I'm sending you an invite via DM now.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0Vv0XFdoPc

Last edited:
Personally, I think you should drop joystick curves and install joystick gremlin instead. Apart from the fact that the curves interface is a bit easier to work with, it also offers a great macros interface. If you've already got Vjoy working, that's the major hurdle out of the way. If you want to join our discord, I'm happy to give you guest tags and me or one of several others can talk you through it with Joystick Gremlin. I'm actually about to transfer my Elite rig from one PC to another and I will need to redo my curves, so I'll probably make a video very soon.

Another member of my squad has also made this video, but the last part, doing the actual bindings, is very difficult to explain on camera, if you want one of us to talk you through it, just join the discord. I'm sending you an invite via DM now.

Thank you for the reply, I would be interested in using this program I am in the us central time zone and can get on about 7 central tonight or this weekend to discuss this I appreciate your response and willingness to help me with it.

Tim

That video is a bit confusing. Do you set up VJoy first. If so, how? Is Vjoy running in the background to set up the curves in Joystick Gremlin? Does Joystick Gremlin automatically start Vjoy, or do you have to open both applications separately?

I'm interested in using this software.

That video is a bit confusing. Do you set up VJoy first. If so, how? Is Vjoy running in the background to set up the curves in Joystick Gremlin? Does Joystick Gremlin automatically start Vjoy, or do you have to open both applications separately?

I'm interested in using this software.
The basic procedure is first to install the Vjoy driver, this sets up the virtual joystick as you probably know. Joystick Gremlin then uses that joystick as 'its' virtual joystick.

so you then install and open JG, and map the X axis to the virtual X axis,Y to Y, Z twist to Z twist, then you add a curve profile to each of those mapped axes. This is all relatively straightforward. The complication comes in when you want to actually bind them in game. You now effectively have two joysticks activating when you move the physical stick, the driver of the joystick and the Vjoy device. This plays all hell with key binding detection when mapping, as you can imagine.

So this is the part that's really hard to explain, but I'll give it a shot...

You turn on a feature in JG called the Command Repeater (rather than do it as a first step as suggested in the vid, I'd do this as a last step after setting up the curves).

What this thing does is repeat an action you do on the physical joystick, using ONLY the virtual joystick. So the computer sees this happening...you move physiucal joystick, it sees both joysticks moving, waits for both to stop then REPEATS the command on the virtual joystick only for a couple of seconds.

So, when it comes to doing the binding in the game, you move the axis you want to map, and THEN you press the button to map it and let the repeater do the axis movement that the game will detect and map. After that, the game ignores your physical joystick driver, as it's not mapped to anything, and the virtual driver does the actual moving, which is as you have set up in JG with curves.

Good luck, shout if you need more help. :)

The basic procedure is first to install the Vjoy driver, this sets up the virtual joystick as you probably know. Joystick Gremlin then uses that joystick as 'its' virtual joystick.

so you then install and open JG, and map the X axis to the virtual X axis,Y to Y, Z twist to Z twist, then you add a curve profile to each of those mapped axes. This is all relatively straightforward. The complication comes in when you want to actually bind them in game. You now effectively have two joysticks activating when you move the physical stick, the driver of the joystick and the Vjoy device. This plays all hell with key binding detection when mapping, as you can imagine.

So this is the part that's really hard to explain, but I'll give it a shot...

You turn on a feature in JG called the Command Repeater (rather than do it as a first step as suggested in the vid, I'd do this as a last step after setting up the curves).

What this thing does is repeat an action you do on the physical joystick, using ONLY the virtual joystick. So the computer sees this happening...you move physiucal joystick, it sees both joysticks moving, waits for both to stop then REPEATS the command on the virtual joystick only for a couple of seconds.

So, when it comes to doing the binding in the game, you move the axis you want to map, and THEN you press the button to map it and let the repeater do the axis movement that the game will detect and map. After that, the game ignores your physical joystick driver, as it's not mapped to anything, and the virtual driver does the actual moving, which is as you have set up in JG with curves.

Good luck, shout if you need more help. :)
Cheers for taking the time, Ashenfox.

As I understand it then, the repeater loops the axis input to over ride the regular joystick axis and 'fool' it into applying that instead in the bindings?

I will give this a try later.

Cheers for taking the time, Ashenfox.

As I understand it then, the repeater loops the axis input to over ride the regular joystick axis and 'fool' it into applying that instead in the bindings?

I will give this a try later.
Welcome. :) yeh, basically, the trick is when looking at the bindings menu, move hte axis, let it rest, then immediately click the button to remap the axis. The repeater should still be repeating the last axis you moved, and the game will detect that, mapping the virtual joystick, while the physical joystick will be ignored cos it was not moving during the actual mapping event. Don't forget to turn the repeater off when done, it has rather entertaining effects if you try to fly your ship with it running. :)

Thank you for responding, I have made the curves and I toggle the test loop before starting Elite. I the start Elite dangerous and go into controls to apply the curves to the binds I have sent up for the X52 hotas I apply Roll to Roll, and then apply Pitch to Pitch at that point Elite tells me that the current binding or Keystroke is being used by the roll function. If I assign it to the Pitch the program removes it from the Roll Axis and applies it to the Pitch Axis. I have tried it and applied it when I go into the game I have no Roll Axis only the Pitch.

I hope I have explained this well enough thank you for helping.

Tim
Hm. You toggled the test loop after binding one function and then switched to the right tab in joy-curves and then toggled the test loop again before binding the next function, right?
And on the tabs everything is setup correctly? Each curve is assigned to the right function in joy-curves?

Hm. You toggled the test loop after binding one function and then switched to the right tab in joy-curves and then toggled the test loop again before binding the next function, right?
And on the tabs everything is setup correctly? Each curve is assigned to the right function in joy-curves?

I finally got this working last weekend and am using joy-curves right now need to fine tune it not sure why it was not working the first time but it is now :)

Top Bottom