Using Thrustmaster HOTAS on XBOX one: Advice HERE

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Bought the:
Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS One - Xbox One

AS WELL AS:
Thrustmaster TFRP Flight Rudder Pedals for PC & Playstation 4

Although I don't have many flight hours (yet) I can confirm that the rudder pedals do in fact WORK. Using GOOGLE I couldn't find a definitive statement that they work... so my first objective in this post is to CONFIRM THEY WORK.

Here are my notes.
1. In my opinion the flight pedals are not necessary for standard flight ops such as landing, exploration, docking... but I suspect they may be more critical if engaged in combat.

2. If you fly flight assist OFF I think the rudders are more critical.

3. If you think you are likely want pedals eventually then GET THE PEDALS RIGHT AWAY and learn to use it all at once. I wouldn't advise getting the pedals later. It is more efficient to just get them NOW and learn the new game all at once.

4. The process of changing the controls from "controller" to "HOTAS" in the options section was easier than I thought it was going to be. Be patient and don't get all freaked out that you are never going to get it to work. I DID tweak some items thought and it improved my gameplay experience quite a bit.

5. The HOTAS has greatly improved my exploration experience. Now when I jump into a system I can zero the throttle and enter the system near the star and have no danger of crashing into it. I don't need to "remember" whether or not I am in FA/off or if I remembered to throttle down. I can SEE that whilst I am up getting a snack my throttle stick is set to zero and I don't have to wonder if I need to rush back to prevent a star crash. When I enter the system my throttle will be ZERO because my throttle is ZERO, duh. Seems like a small thing, but for me it was big.

6. The graphic on the Thrustmaster website showing the controls is kind of half-baked if you ask me. The color listing is out of order and "toggle camera suite" was missing. I kept getting confused with the graphic. There was another mistake on the graphic too, I forget what it was.

I created my own graphic for the button settings. Once you have used it for a while you don't look at the graphic much, but it helped me initially to have it handy to re-learn what used to be intuitive on the controller.

xbox_hotas_one_srv.jpg

xbox_hotas_one_ship_1.jpg

Here is a photo of my temporary setup using an old typewriter stand. Works well enough.

IMG_20180208_225059.jpg

After doing this I would RECCOMEND XBOX players switch. You need to have a good spot to set the sticks down at the right height... but wow, much better immersion.

I am certain other commanders have other helpful info, so please post. I haven't spent a lot of time in the SRV and I know I don't have those settings right. Screen captures from commanders who have done this already would be great.

Last edited:
Great post!! It took me an hour or two to get a feel for the Hotas. I play with it balanced on my lap and it works like a charm until I figure out a setup. I’ve only remapped a few basics, like utilities. And I like it a lot more. Nice having all that control at once.

I’ve sold mine but when I had it....

-buy a usb 3.0 extender cable
-consider using a lap desk (inexpensive way to use it on a couch)
-wire you Xbox one controller and sit it on the lap desk for vinration and headset port

Last edited:
  • Like (+1)
Reactions: ick
I’ve sold mine but when I had it....

-buy a usb 3.0 extender cable
-consider using a lap desk (inexpensive way to use it on a couch)
-wire you Xbox one controller and sit on on the lap desk for cub and headset port

Excellent suggestion.

I don't think I could go back to the XB1 controller now, HOTAS is really good.

Yes, it's so much better, it just feels natural. And with all the buttons there are so many combos! Who needs a Keyboard?;)
And I like the cockpit feeling! I added a side-panel to make things more comfortable. I was thinking about the pedals too but I don't know where to put them when not in use and they are not really cheap for what they ad.

31791527wy.jpg

Try the Turtle Beach 600 Stealth headsets with the Hotas. Eliminate the need for the controller completely, and feels so much more immersive. I also have mine split with a keyboard separating the throttle and stick. With that setup, I can chat with voice or typed.

I wouldn't go back to a controller for anything.

One question about calibration. Anyone had any problems with Throttle? For example my is bugged or something, when i put him in neutral-central position(0% speed), well, it's not really there, because my speed stays 6% in neutral position, i must put it slightly backwards to stop my engines.

I connected it to PC, checked joystick settings and i see that physically it stays in 0%, but on scale throttle is not centered, goes slightly upwards.

I disconnected my usb cable, put throttle in central position, reconnect everything, then system shows that everything is centered, but when i slightly push throttle, then it wont go back to 0% again and stays on 6% or 8%.

Its not big problem really, for example i can use full forward mode, so entire throttle is 0 to 100% and working fine, but i am playing with Flight Assist Off, so i need full control over my thrusters :/

Update: Problem is gone now. Solution was simple - options -> flight throttle -> Throttle Axis -> Expand menu and there are deadzone settings. Changed it to 15% and now everything is working as intended.

Last edited:
One question about calibration. Anyone had any problems with Throttle? For example my is bugged or something, when i put him in neutral-central position(0% speed), well, it's not really there, because my speed stays 6% in neutral position, i must put it slightly backwards to stop my engines.

I connected it to PC, checked joystick settings and i see that physically it stays in 0%, but on scale throttle is not centered, goes slightly upwards.

I disconnected my usb cable, put throttle in central position, reconnect everything, then system shows that everything is centered, but when i slightly push throttle, then it wont go back to 0% again and stays on 6% or 8%.

Its not big problem really, for example i can use full forward mode, so entire throttle is 0 to 100% and working fine, but i am playing with Flight Assist Off, so i need full control over my thrusters :/

Update: Problem is gone now. Solution was simple - options -> flight throttle -> Throttle Axis -> Expand menu and there are deadzone settings. Changed it to 15% and now everything is working as intended.

We can set deadzones????? Thanks! Didn't know that! I have a slight drift in the yaw sometimes. No biggie too but if I can fix it, perfect! Thanks!

We can set deadzones????? Thanks! Didn't know that! I have a slight drift in the yaw sometimes. No biggie too but if I can fix it, perfect! Thanks!

Yeah. There are deadzone settings for roll, pitch and yaw. And keep in mind, there are separate settings for flight, driving SRV and camera, so if you have any deadzone settings for flight, be sure to change settings for SRV and camera too.

I'm sure I mentioned the deadzone settings in a similar thread...

duplicate post... sorry... see below [noob]

ps... soz @ ICK didnt mean ta hijack your top notch thread bud :x

Last edited:
After getting to grips ( well sort of ) with my Chromebook and how Google os does stuff I give you .......

With compact backlit keyboard...

UYfGxUw-8BIfMThLaCZtHX__edHQ1MKffaHYvteOxcapP-_ChBJucX127TvP6FH_QAhrIAFfE_dgof8=w1366-h676-rw

With xbox chatpad....

_8kLpHsMSRc01j3OQUfvk9weWad8vG2Bi_zaXoqMNC1b0RuukOleLXoAP10Y-FlvJVV85LCSaMfH55s=w1366-h676-rw

Me..
oaRTTZhrRtxWQGil9o_SE2HUKN8gd9WxILjwnctz76oKRdNNewNj_M0tpgoa-wesk9Qaq_pXQN0Jipw=w1366-h676-rw

Last edited:
With compact backlit keyboard...

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/U...hBJucX127TvP6FH_QAhrIAFfE_dgof8=w1366-h676-rw

With xbox chatpad....

[lmg]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_8kLpHsMSRc01j3OQUfvk9weWad8vG2Bi_zaXoqMNC1b0RuukOleLXoAP10Y-FlvJVV85LCSaMfH55s=w1366-h676-rw[/url]

Me..

Not working Trev...keeps trying to start Chrome...which I don't use, Firefox boi here

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom