Utahraptor concept art compressed.png

This is an old piece I had started that was my attempt at drawing a Utahraptor as I would like for it to appear in JWE, the ultimate goal being to keep it within the JP/JW style while making it more scientifically accurate compared to Velociraptor and Deinonychus which are obviously very far off from the real animals, as many think dromeosaurs can be too easily mistaken for the JP Velociraptor unless significant differences are made. With the exception of the lack of feathers and pronated hands, I kept the anatomy as close to the modern reconstruction of Utahraptor as possible, as Utahraptor was a really hefty and heavily built dromeosaur, so even it's silhouette would be distinct from the smaller Velociraptor. As such I also gave it a unique pattern that is unlike what the raptors and other small carnivores in the game currently have, as most have mostly monotone colour schemes. The most obvious addition was the quills on the arms and tail, where the larger penaceous feathers would be on the animal in life, which also helps to make them more visually appealing.

On the bottom-left I have a size comparison between the in-game Velociraptor, Spinoraptor, and my proposed Utahraptor to showcase the visual differences between these three animals and how the Utahraptor could be a true "medium sized carnivore, able to fight small carnivores and smaller large carnivores, much like how the Iguanodon fights them.

The middle-left image is just a close up of the face, mostly to showcase the unique down-turned teeth that Utahraptor had the tip of their lower jaw. The purpose of this feature is still currently unknown, but even showcasing small things like this helps make the design feel that much more genuine.

Middle-right is an example of a unique attack animation the Utahraptor can have, as they have smaller front arms than other dromeosaurs, and so the usual swipes that small carnivores do in-game would not work as well with this animal. Instead I figured giving it a powerful kick attack could help showcase the power of their hindlimbs.

And lastly, bottom-right shows an alternative look for the front arms that would hold them in a more realistic position, which could help to differentiate it even more from other dromeosaurs.

I was inspired to finish and share this upon seeing some of the incredible mods that the community have done for this game, and to help show how the JP aesthetic can be blended with more paleontologically accurate interpretations of these wonderful animals.

I really like the concept of this dinosaur. Especially the spotted look for the carnivore, I don't think there is such a pattern for carnivores in the game as most of them go for stripes. Plus, having it be quilled on the arms and tail will help it feel more distinct from the other carnivores. Well done! 👍

I really like the concept of this dinosaur. Especially the spotted look for the carnivore, I don't think there is such a pattern for carnivores in the game as most of them go for stripes. Plus, having it be quilled on the arms and tail will help it feel more distinct from the other carnivores. Well done! 👍
Thank you, that's exactly what I was going for with the unique pattern and quills! I'm hoping to get more like this in the future, just to help differentiate dromeosaurs without making them completely different from their fossil counterparts.

Thank you, that's exactly what I was going for with the unique pattern and quills! I'm hoping to get more like this in the future, just to help differentiate dromeosaurs without making them completely different from their fossil counterparts.
Yeah! New dinosaurs right now are more susceptible to being lookalikes from the other dinosaurs of similar anatomy and families in the game. A good thing beyond looks are often new animations or mechanics, but being able to achieve a base look that helps differentiate it would help a lot more!

I think if we were to have a dromaeosaur be a next addition, unique patterning and the potential of a quilled creature in all skin options would definitely make it stick out from the other small carnivores without it looking too radical. Deinonychus is super cool cause it did go with a whole lot of creative influence to make it look different from the velociraptor, but understandably, the huge change in looks made a huge chunk of the fanbase backlash due to it not looking plausible to the real life counterpart. However, I think that has a unique design set in which could only pulled off once, kinda like the dilophosaurus in the original JP movie (super inaccurate, but slowly grew to be liked by the community over time).

Hopefully, either in this game or a potential sequel, we could see a dromaeosaur that has quills, and Utahraptor is a good contender as it has a more distinct rounded snout and sports a bulkier look to make it look different from the JP velociraptor and Herrerasaurus' primitive stance. And Austroraptor could work as well due to their potential piscivorous diet and thinner snout.

Jens Erik

Senior Community Manager
Frontier
Thank you for sharing your art, Trustworthy Lancer! :) It looks really cool, and I especially like the quills on the arms and tails.

Top Bottom