Release v1.2.0 elgato stream deck button plugin for elite dangerous

bE2ODlF.jpg

elgato stream deck button plugin, that connects to elite dangerous, to get the status for 14 different toggle-buttons, 4 buttons to control the power distributor pips, 4 alarm buttons, 3 FSD related buttons, an FSS toggle button, a firegroup selection button and a generic limpet controller button..
If you press the relevant button on your keyboard or hotas, then the image on the stream deck will still change correctly.
When a button has no effect (e.g. when docked) then the image also won't change.

There is also a STATIC button type, that works the same as the streamdeck 'Hotkey' button type.
So, there is only one image and there is no game state feedback for these buttons.
The only difference with the 'Hotkey' button is, that it gets the keyboard binding from the game.

Example button images, like in above picture, can be found in the source code images directory on github.

The plugin can (optionally) automatically switch to a different profile, if the in-game state changes (e.g. deploy hardpoints, enter SRV etc.)
More instructions Here

Note that this plugin doesn't work if there is only a joystick/controller/mouse binding for a function. There has to be a (secondary) keyboard binding.

The source code and installer are here

After you install the plugin in the streamdeck software, then there will be several new button types in the streamdeck software.
Choose a button in the streamdeck software (drag and drop), then choose an Elite Dangerous function for that button (that must have a keyboard binding in Elite Dangerous!)
and then choose any pictures for that button.

ONLY add an image to a STATIC button in this way, do NOT set this image for any of the other button types :

xkgy7uZ.png

Animated gif files are only supported for the STATIC buttons.

If you change the key bindings in Elite Dangerous, then you don't have to restart the streamdeck software. The plugin key bindings are updated automatically.

When using Odyssey, the on-foot binding must be 'custom'. (this will happen automatically once you make at least one on-foot keyboard binding)
If you see a default binding name for the on-foot section, then the plugin won't work correctly.

If nothing happens, when pressing streamdeck buttons:
You may see errors like this in the plugin log file :
file not found C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Bindings\Custom.4.0.binds
In that case, the plugin has no access rights to the bindings directory.
Start streamdeck.exe as administrator.

Last edited:
v 1.3.0

added 4 alarm buttons
  • Highest Threat (alarm = under attack status)
  • Deploy Chaff (alarm = under attack status)
  • Deploy Heatsink (alarm = overheating status)
  • Deploy Shield Cell Bank (alarm = shields down status, In that case DON'T fire a shield cell bank.)

Last edited:
I was just looking at the ElGato Stream Deck today, thinking about using it for E : D. Did you have it already, or did you buy it just for the game? I'm kind of wondering if it's worth $150 just for Elite. It looks pretty sweet. :)

I had the streamdeck already and was just looking for something interesting to do with it...

I can't say if a stream deck will be useful to you...

If you use a HOTAS with lots of buttons, use voice attack or play in V.R, then maybe not :) .

I don't know. I don't have one to test..
I think that the resolution of the button images is higher for the XL, so the plugin may need to be modified for the XL ?

v 1.4.0

Previous versions only worked with custom key binding files.
Now, when a default key binding file is selected in Elite Dangerous, then also the steam library is searched for the binds file.

Note that this plugin doesn't work if there is only a joystick/controller binding for a function. There has to be a (secondary) keyboard binding.

Last edited:
Love you guys! Love stream decks, and all this awesome code and configurations!

v 1.4.0

Now, when a default key binding file is selected in Elite Dangerous, then also the steam library is searched for the binds file.

Note that this plugin doesn't work if there is only a joystick/controller binding for a function. There has to be a (secondary) keyboard binding.

So THIS is a pretty big deal then for those of us who are pretty horrible at coding, programming, and tweaking or setting up our peripherals and accessories yeah?

If you don't mind what is the process of duplicating what you're is like after v1.4?

Last edited:
v 1.4.0

Sorry, I don't understand what you are asking ?

..."How exactly do I duplicate your setup?"

Installation instructions and more information is here

This assumes that you have a stream deck already plugged in and their software already installed.

you can download the plugin here

After you install the plugin (see instructions) in the streamdeck software,

then there will be 3 new button types in the streamdeck software.

Choose a button in the streamdeck software (drag and drop),
then choose an elite dangerous function for that button (that must have a keyboard binding in elite dangerous!)
and then choose two pictures for that button.

that's it...

Some simple example button pictures are here
or you can download the source code zip file and you can find them in the images directory.

Installation instructions and more information is here

This assumes that you have a stream deck already plugged in and their software already installed.

you can download the plugin here

After you install the plugin (see instructions) in the streamdeck software,

then there will be 3 new button types in the streamdeck software.

Choose a button in the streamdeck software (drag and drop),
then choose an elite dangerous function for that button (that must have a keyboard binding in elite dangerous!)
and then choose two pictures for that button.

that's it...

Some simple example button pictures are here
or you can download the source code zip file and you can find them in the images directory.

THANK YOU. For whatever reason this makes it so much easier to comprehend and figure out!

version 1.5.0

Power pips are now displayed correctly on any size (rectangular) button bitmap.
In previous versions it only worked on 256x256 bitmaps.

Top Bottom