Valve has spoken

Feel the same, VR is just not worth it to me.
VR is just totally worth it (for me) and has ruined pancake Elite with its egg distorted planets, and pancake DCS for me. I would never be that close to a fighter jet as VR allows me to be. X Rebirth VR is even cooler with motion controls, though the barrier to overcome muscle memory might be too much for some. I tried it and I loved it. Steering ship with both hands movement, one for strafing, one for rotation is an enlightening experience for me, IDK why would anyone want to use old fighter jet tech for our starships ;-)

One question - have you tried Elite in "proper" VR? Because judging from similar comments in the X4 thread you have a strong case against VR, and I would like to know why?

It shouldn't be the cost, because it stopped being "prohibitive" since Oculus drove prices down. Said Rift S is current gen, and affordable (449€). If someone wants cheaper, there are Windows Mixed Reality headsets available.

It shouldn't be the hardware needed because on this geeky forum there are people running 2080Tis in SLI and having multimonitor setups worth thousands of dollars, not to mention warthog joysticks etc. I'd assume that anyone playing Elite after 3.3 update has at least a GTX 970 or AMD equivalent, or, frankly, is not that much into gaming overall, because these GPUs are two (and soon three) generations behind.

As for a library of games, this is a chicken and egg problem, because people want more games and "won't buy vr till we get more games" and we're in a loop, because there we have a (supposedly) flagship VR game and people are like "but... but... but... VR?" Gaben was always rambling on how they want to make hardware for their own games, now they did it with the Index. Quite successfully I might add, though full package Index is expensive. It is also one of the best all-round hmds right now. So it's in Valve's best interest to pimp this game out as much as they can to become a system seller. Will it? We will see, but I have high hopes and low expectations :cool:

Why not get into VR right now? Rift S is a nice headset cost wise (1930zł new from Oculus, shipping free), and you can buy used previous gen headsets (vive or rift cv1) for around 1k zł on allegro.

Thanks for the heads up mate but its not the money problem, is more of that I just "dont get" VR. Iv tried it (with ED as well) and I cant have same fun with the googles on my head. Its just personal preference, playing in VR makes the experience very uncomfortable.

The original Half-life (plus DLC) was amazing for its time, Half-life 2 was just another distinctly mediocre very repetitive shooter though. You couldn't aim down the sights which is unforgivable in anything made this side of the millennium 6/10 at best.

The original Half-life (plus DLC) was amazing for its time, Half-life 2 was just another distinctly mediocre very repetitive shooter though. You couldn't aim down the sights which is unforgivable in anything made this side of the millennium 6/10 at best.
Huh - I feel the other way round. Mostly because HL2 was excellently choreographed and had innovative elements like the gravity gun. ADS dint bother me at all. It's quite well narrated, too.

Can't wait for these Knuckles controllers to get a proper workout! Heard more than a few rumors over the years about this project including from smug, smirky friends at Valve.

time to highlight this from the link:

EJvC-foXkAASEFk

One question - have you tried Elite in "proper" VR? Because judging from similar comments in the X4 thread you have a strong case against VR, and I would like to know why?

Not sure what qualifies as "proper VR", but I have tried it. Its a neat gimmick but I can play more efficiently without it.

As for your other question...
Simple: I am not spending the money on a one time gag for a 5 year old game that I dont have a strong confidence its future.

Rift S on Black Friday - the temptation is REAL!

Anyone running Rift S on a 2019 Predator Helios 300 laptop?

Just be sure Rift works on the laptop before buying it. I gave my CV1 to a friend after buying the S and the oculus software doesn't recognise the 1070 he has on the laptop, it just says its an integrated GPU and it won't work with it.
Seems to be a common problem...

Rift S on Black Friday - the temptation is REAL!

Anyone running Rift S on a 2019 Predator Helios 300 laptop?
Just be sure Rift works on the laptop before buying it. I gave my CV1 to a friend after buying the S and the oculus software doesn't recognise the 1070 he has on the laptop, it just says its an integrated GPU and it won't work with it.
Seems to be a common problem...
And most important, does your laptop have display port @Old Duck , because while original rift used hdmi, rift S only uses displayport. If you don't have a display port but have an usb type-c, you can use that as an displayport adapter, as per this video:

Thanks for the heads up mate but its not the money problem, is more of that I just "dont get" VR. Iv tried it (with ED as well) and I cant have same fun with the googles on my head. Its just personal preference, playing in VR makes the experience very uncomfortable.

Fair point I guess, sorry it didn't work out for you. That's why I always say to try it first if possible, then buy :) If that was motion sickness, this usually goes away after a few weeks of acclimatisation. I had queasy feeling just lifting off the pad in Coriolis ;-) Now I can play long sessions of Onward and not even flinch.

Not sure what qualifies as "proper VR", but I have tried it. Its a neat gimmick but I can play more efficiently without it.

As for your other question...
Simple: I am not spending the money on a one time gag for a 5 year old game that I dont have a strong confidence its future.
Proper VR is at least a gen 1 headset, like htc vive or oculus rift cv1. No mobile poo like samsung gear vr, or other "slide your phone into this plastic contraption". As for Windows Mixed Reality's side, I'd say Samsung Odyssey Plus or Acer-something-something from even lower tier.

As for "5 year old game", there's much more games for VR, but yeah, those are usually ports:
  • Skyrim VR
  • Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
  • Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes
  • Doom VFR (well technically it's Doom's sequel made for VR, but let's say it's a port for simplicity)
  • Doom 3 BFG,
  • Fallout 4 VR
  • Project Cars 1 and 2
  • Killing Floor: Incursion
  • Assetto Corsa
  • Alien Isolation
  • Digital Combat Simulator
  • Serious Sam Trilogy
  • Talos Principle
  • Dirt Rally 1 & 2
  • No Man's Sky
  • Elite Dangerous
  • Subnautica
  • Payday 2 VR
  • X Rebirth VR
  • The Solus Project
  • Prey: Typhoon Hunter
  • Universe: Sandbox 2
  • Superhot VR
  • Vanishing of Ethan Carter
  • IL-2 Battle of X
Then there are original for-vr-made games like:
  • Beat Saber
  • Audica
  • Lone Echo
  • Chronos
  • Arktika.1
  • Arizona Sunshine
  • Battlewake
  • Blade & Sorcery
  • Raw Data
  • Contractors
  • Onward
  • Pavlov
  • Wardust
  • Creed: Rise to glory
  • Eagle Flight
  • Electronauts
  • Eve: Valkyrie
  • Everspace
  • The Gallery: Call of the Starseed ep.1 and Heart of the Emberstone ep.2
  • Gorn
  • Hot Dogs, Horseshoes and Hand Granades
  • I expect you to die
  • LA Noir VR case files
  • Interkosmos (should appeal to many cmdrs here ;-) )
  • Iron Wolf VR
  • Moss
  • Red Matter
  • Shadow Legend
  • Sega Megadrive and Genesis Classics (yes you can play on the tv!)
  • Space Pirate Trainer,
  • Sprint Vector
  • Star Trek Bridge Crew
  • Unknightly
  • Vanishing realms
  • Vox Machinae
So there's plenty of titles... And I don't have them all 😂 Steam shows 302 titles in my VR category alone, and not all games show there. For example IL-2 Battle of X doesn't show under VR yet it supports VR, etc.

Last edited:
  • Skyrim VR
  • Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
  • Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes
  • Doom VFR (well technically it's Doom's sequel made for VR, but let's say it's a port for simplicity)
  • Doom 3 BFG,
  • Fallout 4 VR
  • Project Cars 1 and 2
  • Killing Floor: Incursion
  • Assetto Corsa
  • Alien Isolation
  • Digital Combat Simulator
  • Serious Sam Trilogy
  • Talos Principle
  • Dirt Rally 1 & 2
  • No Man's Sky
  • Elite Dangerous
  • Subnautica
  • Payday 2 VR
  • X Rebirth VR
  • The Solus Project
  • Prey: Typhoon Hunter
  • Universe: Sandbox 2
  • Superhot VR
  • Vanishing of Ethan Carter
  • IL-2 Battle of X
[/SPOILER]
Then there are original for-vr-made games like:
  • Beat Saber
  • Audica
  • Lone Echo
  • Chronos
  • Arktika.1
  • Arizona Sunshine
  • Battlewake
  • Blade & Sorcery
  • Raw Data
  • Contractors
  • Onward
  • Pavlov
  • Wardust
  • Creed: Rise to glory
  • Eagle Flight
  • Electronauts
  • Eve: Valkyrie
  • Everspace
  • The Gallery: Call of the Starseed ep.1 and Heart of the Emberstone ep.2
  • Gorn
  • Hot Dogs, Horseshoes and Hand Granades
  • I expect you to die
  • LA Noir VR case files
  • Interkosmos (should appeal to many cmdrs here ;-) )
  • Iron Wolf VR
  • Moss
  • Red Matter
  • Shadow Legend
  • Sega Megadrive and Genesis Classics (yes you can play on the tv!)
  • Space Pirate Trainer,
  • Sprint Vector
  • Star Trek Bridge Crew
  • Unknightly
  • Vanishing realms
  • Vox Machinae
So there's plenty of titles... And I don't have them all 😂 Steam shows 302 titles in my VR category alone, and not all games show there. For example IL-2 Battle of X doesn't show under VR yet it supports VR, etc.

While I appreciate your enthusiasm for VR, I am of the philosophy that if it isnt broke, dont fix it. Can game perfectly fine of what I have and would rather spend my money of a multi monitor set up than VR.

VR only titles dont have any appeal to me.

While I appreciate your enthusiasm for VR, I am of the philosophy that if it isnt broke, dont fix it. Can game perfectly fine of what I have and would rather spend my money of a multi monitor set up than VR.

VR only titles dont have any appeal to me.
Well, that's your right mate. Some people prefer 4k to depth perception and 360 vision, and that's their way. For me Elite is irrevocably "broken" since I saw a planet far below a Coriolis station I was launching from, or navigated through a gas giant ring and hovered a few km above it. The sheer vastness of space coming through the depth perception is something amazing. And no more egg-planets (3d perspective distortion).

Same with DCS. I have no interest in staring at a window displaying the inside of a plane, and distorting picture when looking around in pancake :) Even though it's harder to spot or read gauges, although the current gen alleviates that. But that's just me.

Oh and also: https://www.roadtovr.com/microsoft-flight-simulator-dev-will-try-darnedest-make-vr-support-happen/

I'm just dispelling some myths about VR because I have it since 2016 and know the current market/price/software situation pretty well. Someone's got to push the frontier ;-)

Actually its not only a motion sickness. The entire process of having an extra device on my face is just not worth the trouble for me. While I can absolutely see why You and others might get more immersion from it, especially in Elite or DCS, I just dont feel it. And to be honest I`m in the camp of "its just a tech demo" still, 99% of VR titles are nothing more but a gutted out demos of what VR might be in the far far future so not very interested on HL for VR.
Perhaps when the tech will be less intrusive/smaller, lighter with better resolution it will have a more use for my gaming but right now I`m getting better immersion (hehe) with a triple monitor setup.

Personally I have no beef at all with the premise of HL Alyx......IF they'd bothered to get HL3 out the door first. But I have scrimped and saved for the past 7 years or so and have almost £1500 saved up for a new gaming rig which will be VR ready so I'll get this (fingers crossed nothing crops up (house/car) to steal my funds!!)....but I still want HL3.

Top Bottom