Valve Index VR headset

I've made my mind up. Not getting any of these latest headsets unless my Rift stops working. Waiting for a real 2nd gen one.

the more headsets i see the more i'm thinking i'll do exactly the same. very happy to see valve in the business, though, and specifically in the high end / desktop segment.

I’ve only just become aware of the oculus quest. what are Facebook doing? They have an untethered VR headset that effectively is a VR games console with 6DOF that runs at higher resolution than the tethered PC powered Rift S. They are both the same price; why didn’t they just combine the two. The Quest has more tech built in into than the Rift S. Utterly bonkers that they couldn’t just add a display and USB port to the Quest so it can be powered by a PC.

Probably you should wait for better ergonmic version of knuckels called Sword Sense :)
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HQ0oXTimmA
Yeah... nah 😁 I waited long enough, also I really don't like pimax build quality. Apart from that, there should be pretty good games support for the Knuckles thanks to Valve giving them away to devs left and right: https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/bkn249 Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/bkn249/valve_index_controller_support_list_v3/

While I don't rate main stream press very highly for VR centric reviews, I both completely agree and disagree with this article.
It seems to me he's just obsessing on it needing a cable, and that it isn't trying to break recorrds.

Being "just another HMD" isn't necesarrily a bad thing, the main hurdleto break into mainstream for VR is user friendly tech experience.
Pimax is definetely not that, and it's bar was exceeded when it wasn't a fancy paper weight.
It takes work, getting it to work, but it does work eventually.

The index is probably not going to an all that much more polished software experience, their goals seems to have been to polish the device, and steamVR still has some really weird hair pulling problems, like how having a joystick hooked practically break the steamvr user interface, still isn't fixed (I'm open for suggestions) and unplugging them isn't an option, and I got four of them.

And Xtal is pretty much proving how lenses are actually more important than panels, and yet I hear no-one really talking to much about those, and yet these people think their stock vive-.pro is the bees-knees.

Last edited:
While I don't rate main stream press very highly for VR centric reviews, I both completely agree and disagree with this article.
It seems to me he's just obsessing on it needing a cable, and that it isn't trying to break recorrds.

That's pretty much all you can get from that article. I went back and forth a few times one how to reply to it but that sums it up pretty well. I do question the Quest having better panels and why they didn't put them in the S.

Good points on the Index. I think I'm going to hold out for some consumer reviews of the Reverb.

That's pretty much all you can get from that article. I went back and forth a few times one how to reply to it but that sums it up pretty well. I do question the Quest having better panels and why they didn't put them in the S.

Good points on the Index. I think I'm going to hold out for some consumer reviews of the Reverb.

Yeah I would love to see some reviews of the Reverb myself. Especially with ED as it seems a great game to test the overall quality of a HMD.

Don't you have American friends you can ask to be a middle-person? I'm in Aus, and even I have a few locals scattered about the US that can forward items to me when they are not available otherwise....

Z...
Still far too much hassle for 1k+ either let us in canada buy it or valve can chooke on it for now. Not in a hurry tbh lol I am waiting for the new ryzen cpu to come out to decide if my VR rig will be a more expensive intel or a less expensive ryzen build...I would really like a ryzen build I think.

I’ve only just become aware of the oculus quest. what are Facebook doing? They have an untethered VR headset that effectively is a VR games console with 6DOF that runs at higher resolution than the tethered PC powered Rift S. They are both the same price; why didn’t they just combine the two. The Quest has more tech built in into than the Rift S. Utterly bonkers that they couldn’t just add a display and USB port to the Quest so it can be powered by a PC.

To present an answer.

It will downsample games on the fly it will hardly ever render at that resolution natively with some AA thrown on, and they where doing this already with gear vr and GO.
It's a lower frequency panel further easing the rendering load.

Biggest problem for Elite and the pimax is the need for parallel projection which is something of a 30+% performance hit alone, and the Index won't need that.
Also, I suspect the new faster hz also handles motion smoothing, but in stead will allow for rendering 60 real frames instead of 45 and that also shouldn't be a big difference.

But Valve is saying this is a premium set, so it will require a serious rig to run, no doubt.

From my understanding the Valve Index uses angled screens just like the Pimax so it will also require parallel projection for Elite and thus loos ~30% performance.
So to me the Valve Index is out of the race. HP Reverb....

So, random thought about parallel projection. If I understand it correctly, the issue with the Pimax is that the screens are canted at an angle and this causes an issue with the full FOV projection. If it's a problem on the Pimax, isn't it going to be an issue on the Index as well since the screens are canted at an angle in it?

Yes.

No doubt but at a ~30% performance hit, that is the difference for me at running 90fps on 4k monitor or in VR ~60fps

As I say, I'm pretty sure there will not be a 30% decrease in performance in the case of the Index. 'Parallel Projection' is a PiTool thing, which is likely why it has a performance cost as it's running as well as or on top of SteamVR. I'm pretty sure Valve will have updated SteamVR so that the Index works correctly with all SteamVR supported titles - so no performance decreasing hacks required.

I serioiusly hope so. Also index minimal requirements are ridiculously low, so I am of the opinion that Valve has solved this.

OSWindows 10, SteamOS, Linux
RAM8 GB+
GPUNVIDIA GeForce GTX 970+ or AMD RX480+ Available DisplayPort required, HDMI not supported
CPUDual Core with hyperthreading, or better
USB3.0+ for headset cameras

It might be thanks to overall lower resolution in Index with better panel utilisation and pixel density. Which might or might not have interesting results (remember people saying it's a bit better than vive pro). Pimax is utilising up to 75% of panels while having to render higher resolution and warping it, plus it has aforementioned parallel projection. We need to wait, little birds chirp that Index NDA should be lifted off at the end of May.

So, random thought about parallel projection. If I understand it correctly, the issue with the Pimax is that the screens are canted at an angle and this causes an issue with the full FOV projection. If it's a problem on the Pimax, isn't it going to be an issue on the Index as well since the screens are canted at an angle in it?

Just to nip a slight misconception in the bud; The canted screens do not cause the issue -- they relieve it, provided the game sets up its cameras with the cant in mind -- it does in hardware (for various reasons) something we have long been calling for games to do in software, also with previous headsets.

The overhead when using the parallel projections compatibility mode is what you would have had if you had built a wide FOV headset without canted screens.

Tested have just done an in-depth impression on the Index - looking tasty. Was surprised to hear (pun intended) that the headphone/speakers are awesome (Oculus dropped the ball IMO on the S) - was also surprised that there is a noticeable god ray effect present, well they commented on it at least.

still won't be able to afford one tho :-(

Top Bottom