Dinosaurs General Gameplay Venomous Dilophosaurus

I would love to see the dilophosaurus spit the venom at the prey and have it affect they prey of choice, but it would make the troodon feel less unique if the venom drains the health. Not to say they are not venomous, it is just that the venom of the Dilophosaurus is different from the venom of the troodon, like how it is stated in the tour description in the original Jurassic Park:

"One of the earliest carnivores, we now know that Dilophosaurus is actually poisonous, spitting its venom at its prey, causing blindness and eventually paralysis, allowing the carnivore to eat at its leisure. This makes Dilophosaurus a beautiful, but deadly, addition to Jurassic Park."
—Richard Kiley talking about Dilophosaurus on the tour.

So the effect of the venom should not be like that of the troodon where it lowers the health of the dinosaur over a period of time, it has to feel like the dinosaur is vulnerable due to paralysis. So how about having the prey dinosaur have an effect similar to it being tranquilized? A dinosaur that got hit with a tranquilizing dart would panic and wobble around before the ragdoll physics kick in and the dinosaur stops moving. In a way, this could work as the paralysis as the dinosaur is moving around trying to fight the venom, but collapses due to the venom taking effect, and this time the dinosaurs could eerily have their eyes wide open! This could work as the dinosaur is technically alive, but this state makes them super vulnerable to be killed by the dilophosaurus. The species of dinosaur that got hit by the venom would determine how fast they would collapse from paralysis.

But this will bring up two questions:
1) How will the dilophosaurus venom work against armored herbivores and large carnivores?
2) How will the dilophosaurus venom work against dinosaurs it could combat?

The armored herbivores and large carnivores are two kinds of dinosaurs that could live with the dilophosaurus. They could show off their strength to the dilophosaurus but not attack the dilophosaurus at all. Maybe the excuse here is that the venom is not potent enough to paralyse the large creatures due to their armor and/or mass. Similar to various existing venoms that are potent to some prey items but are otherwise harmless to larger creatures.

The creatures they could combat may be a different but more interesting case. So if a dilophosaurus is fighting a velociraptor, they would engage in regular combat as usual. However, when the dilophosaurus spits at the velociraptor, it would be struck by the venom. However, during battle the venom would not take effect due to the adrenaline rush the dinosaur has in the combat position. So the fight continues until either dinosaur dies from combat or it comes to a sudden halt if they are evenly match. ONLY then would the venom take its effect as the dinosaur is no longer in combat mode. So the velociraptor after being struck by the venom, would start to get the paralysis effect after combat and would collapse if untreated. This is now either a safe moment if the dilophosaurus is killed and would require human intervention to save the raptor, or a death sentence if the dilophosaurus is still alive.

On another note, to make use of the blindness, maybe the dinosaurs could have a unique visual similar to a scar, where their eyes are covered in the goop. This goop will only be temporary to the large carnivores and armored herbivores as they could survive more venom attacks, but would have a temporary devalue in their ratings (like -3, -7, or -11) due to poor treatment. However, this venom would remain in the vulnerable herbivores, and dinosaurs that could engage in combat for a longer period of time. And dinosaurs that are effected by the venom would deliver slightly weaker blows to the dilophosaurus as their blind attacks do not target the dilophosaurus properly.

In terms of treatment here is what I think:
If frontier could make the dinosaurs get up from a ragdoll state, then not only could this be a researchable cure that could be used to dart the venomed dinosaur, but it could also be a mechanic used to wake up tranquilized dinosaurs altogether! However, this could be a very unlikely event to happen as the dinosaur's ragdoll would be too random to have a solid wake up animation, especially since a tranquilized dinosaur could be in a very awkward position.

If the dinosaurs could not get up from a ragdoll state, then simply have the dinosaur be moved by the ACU team to 'wake them' up. This is not a genuine way to treat a paralysis but it could work in terms of gameplay. And the rush is still there as the race is to have the chopper reach the dinosaur before the dilophosaurus could.

At least that is what I think it could be like for a paralysis based venom, if not possible, health would do. I would love to see the frills pop out for more hunt related attacks.

I would love to see the dilophosaurus spit the venom at the prey and have it affect they prey of choice, but it would make the troodon feel less unique if the venom drains the health. Not to say they are not venomous, it is just that the venom of the Dilophosaurus is different from the venom of the troodon, like how it is stated in the tour description in the original Jurassic Park:

"One of the earliest carnivores, we now know that Dilophosaurus is actually poisonous, spitting its venom at its prey, causing blindness and eventually paralysis, allowing the carnivore to eat at its leisure. This makes Dilophosaurus a beautiful, but deadly, addition to Jurassic Park."
—Richard Kiley talking about Dilophosaurus on the tour.

So the effect of the venom should not be like that of the troodon where it lowers the health of the dinosaur over a period of time, it has to feel like the dinosaur is vulnerable due to paralysis. So how about having the prey dinosaur have an effect similar to it being tranquilized? A dinosaur that got hit with a tranquilizing dart would panic and wobble around before the ragdoll physics kick in and the dinosaur stops moving. In a way, this could work as the paralysis as the dinosaur is moving around trying to fight the venom, but collapses due to the venom taking effect, and this time the dinosaurs could eerily have their eyes wide open! This could work as the dinosaur is technically alive, but this state makes them super vulnerable to be killed by the dilophosaurus. The species of dinosaur that got hit by the venom would determine how fast they would collapse from paralysis.

But this will bring up two questions:
1) How will the dilophosaurus venom work against armored herbivores and large carnivores?
2) How will the dilophosaurus venom work against dinosaurs it could combat?

The armored herbivores and large carnivores are two kinds of dinosaurs that could live with the dilophosaurus. They could show off their strength to the dilophosaurus but not attack the dilophosaurus at all. Maybe the excuse here is that the venom is not potent enough to paralyse the large creatures due to their armor and/or mass. Similar to various existing venoms that are potent to some prey items but are otherwise harmless to larger creatures.

The creatures they could combat may be a different but more interesting case. So if a dilophosaurus is fighting a velociraptor, they would engage in regular combat as usual. However, when the dilophosaurus spits at the velociraptor, it would be struck by the venom. However, during battle the venom would not take effect due to the adrenaline rush the dinosaur has in the combat position. So the fight continues until either dinosaur dies from combat or it comes to a sudden halt if they are evenly match. ONLY then would the venom take its effect as the dinosaur is no longer in combat mode. So the velociraptor after being struck by the venom, would start to get the paralysis effect after combat and would collapse if untreated. This is now either a safe moment if the dilophosaurus is killed and would require human intervention to save the raptor, or a death sentence if the dilophosaurus is still alive.

On another note, to make use of the blindness, maybe the dinosaurs could have a unique visual similar to a scar, where their eyes are covered in the goop. This goop will only be temporary to the large carnivores and armored herbivores as they could survive more venom attacks, but would have a temporary devalue in their ratings (like -3, -7, or -11) due to poor treatment. However, this venom would remain in the vulnerable herbivores, and dinosaurs that could engage in combat for a longer period of time. And dinosaurs that are effected by the venom would deliver slightly weaker blows to the dilophosaurus as their blind attacks do not target the dilophosaurus properly.

In terms of treatment here is what I think:
If frontier could make the dinosaurs get up from a ragdoll state, then not only could this be a researchable cure that could be used to dart the venomed dinosaur, but it could also be a mechanic used to wake up tranquilized dinosaurs altogether! However, this could be a very unlikely event to happen as the dinosaur's ragdoll would be too random to have a solid wake up animation, especially since a tranquilized dinosaur could be in a very awkward position.

If the dinosaurs could not get up from a ragdoll state, then simply have the dinosaur be moved by the ACU team to 'wake them' up. This is not a genuine way to treat a paralysis but it could work in terms of gameplay. And the rush is still there as the race is to have the chopper reach the dinosaur before the dilophosaurus could.

At least that is what I think it could be like for a paralysis based venom, if not possible, health would do. I would love to see the frills pop out for more hunt related attacks.
I find your idea good, but alas I fear that it is too) complicated to set up, in particular because of the ragdoll.
I think it's safer and easier to do just like the Troodon by just changing the animation.
although I find the idea good, I doubt that the developers will go so far in complexity.

I find your idea good, but alas I fear that it is too) complicated to set up, in particular because of the ragdoll.
I think it's safer and easier to do just like the Troodon by just changing the animation.
although I find the idea good, I doubt that the developers will go so far in complexity.
I am hopeful something like this could be done as the ragdoll physics is already present in the game such as tranquilization, death by combat without a finisher, and death by old age. If the troodon could get a unique venom effect that drains the health of dinosaurs, having the dilophosaurus cause paralysis would help identify it as a unique dinosaur among the other small carnivores including the troodon. But yeah, the devs could surprise us with unique animations and effects that require a bit of complexity for specific dinosaurs, such as the tyrannosaurus kill animation to velociraptor which sends them flying, the nasutoceratops raming medium carnivores as a finisher, the wetland need exclusive to the spinosaurids, the many many deaths of the homalocephale, the troodon's venom effect and much more. It adds to the complexity of these dinosaurs and that makes the game more interesting to play and try each one out.

I think they didn't make the Dilophosaurus poisonous the Dilophosaurus wasn't poisonous in the Jurassic Period
True that the dilophosaurus was very likely not poisonous in the Jurassic Period due to the lack of any fossil evidence to confirm any poison or venomous traits such as the Sinornithosaurus. But it has been depicted to be venomous in the JP franchise in both film and novel, so having the game make use of this would make her more akin to her JP depiction :)

True that the dilophosaurus was very likely not poisonous in the Jurassic Period due to the lack of any fossil evidence to confirm any poison or venomous traits such as the Sinornithosaurus. But it has been depicted to be venomous in the JP franchise in both film and novel, so having the game make use of this would make her more akin to her JP depiction :)
oh ok

Top Bottom