Hardware & Technical Versions of Windows 10 for Gaming

Hello CMDR's

I am reluctant to post this thread as it really has nothing to do with Elite directly, but for general gaming on Windows 10.

I found that I don't need things like Cortana, Bing, Edge, or the M$ Store, or X-Box Services (unless you play on X-Box through Windows), as well as annual updates in my OS taking up my bandwidth and background services which I could use for my purposes.

There are two other versions of Windows 10 available, called Windows 10 LTSB and Windows 10 LTSC. Just like Ubuntu, M$ has released Long Term Service versions of Windows, stripped of the fluff for Kiosks and replacement for ATM's which run Windows XP for display purposes.

Having chose Windows 10 LTSC for my gaming OS, I find I have more bandwidth and less aggravation to put up with in my gaming experience. There are websites which offer these versions of Windows, which are fully licensable, with key generators available on the web.

So, if you want your Windows OS stripped of the fluff that you may not need for high powered gaming, may I suggest you consider another version of Windows 10.

Yes, some of you think you are limited to the free release of Windows 10 retail and would rather not rebuild your box. All I can say, is if the fluff of Windows 10 bugs you, there is an alternative available.

I have to be vague about where I found my Windows 10 LTSC as these versions are Enterprise and for corporate volume licenses, but if you research the web, you can find them with licenses available.

Just an FYI here.

EDIT: If your interested, send me a PM and I can help you locate these.
EDIT: Don't download the 90 Day Evaluation for Windows 10 LTSB/C as it cannot be licensed.

Last edited:
Hello CMDR's

I am reluctant to post this thread as it really has nothing to do with Elite directly, but for general gaming on Windows 10.

I found that I don't need things like Cortana, Bing, Edge, or the M$ Store, or X-Box Services (unless you play on X-Box through Windows), as well as annual updates in my OS taking up my bandwidth and background services which I could use for my purposes.

There are two other versions of Windows 10 available, called Windows 10 LTSB and Windows 10 LTSC. Just like Ubuntu, M$ has released Long Term Service versions of Windows, stripped of the fluff for Kiosks and replacement for ATM's which run Windows XP for display purposes.

Having chose Windows 10 LTSC for my gaming OS, I find I have more bandwidth and less aggravation to put up with in my gaming experience. There are websites which offer these versions of Windows, which are fully licensable, with key generators available on the web.

So, if you want your Windows OS stripped of the fluff that you may not need for high powered gaming, may I suggest you consider another version of Windows 10.

Yes, some of you think you are limited to the free release of Windows 10 retail and would rather not rebuild your box. All I can say, is if the fluff of Windows 10 bugs you, there is an alternative available.

I have to be vague about where I found my Windows 10 LTSC as these versions are Enterprise and for corporate volume licenses, but if you research the web, you can find them with licenses available.

Just an FYI here.

EDIT: Don't download the 90 Day Evaluation for Windows 10 LTSB/C as it cannot be licensed.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.computerworld.com/article/3326065/microsoft-windows/microsoft-trash-talks-windows-10-ltsc-again.amp.html

https://rcpmag.com/articles/2018/06/12/microsoft-windows-10-long-term-servicing.aspx?m=1

You’re talking about a very specific version of Windows 10, one Microsoft themselves is not particularly fond of, meant for very specific usage - namely things that do not normally have any connection to the internet - X-ray, MRI, CNC machines, not gaming PC’s.

But if you really want it legitimately and legal:

https://www.provantage.com/service/searchsvcs?CTR=A&QUERY=microsoft kw400190

But I wouldn’t run it as a home OS. Too many security vulnerabilities.

Granted. It's a user choice.

EDIT: I use Ubuntu 18.04 for real work.
Windows for me is just a gaming OS and used for nothing else.

Last edited:
You’re talking about a very specific version of Windows 10, one Microsoft themselves is not particularly fond of, meant for very specific usage - namely things that do not normally have any connection to the internet - X-ray, MRI, CNC machines, not gaming PC’s.
Of course they're not fond of it and don't want anyone to use it for any other reason than they give. The Windows as a Service model is one that can make them money (not by selling Windows, but by selling things via the OS). :)

So, if you want your Windows OS stripped of the fluff that you may not need for high powered gaming,

You know back in the day we did this stuff ourself? If you own a computer you should at least have some idea how stuff works. I had to be forcably levered off windows XP :) i used it till the last day. Now im on windows 7 pro.

MS said dx10 wouldnt work on xp and thast why it had to go. It took people online a couple days to make dx10 work with xp.

You can remove/disable a lot of that fluff manually - it's the first thing that I do after installing Windows.

*EDIT - I do a lot of audio and general production work and saw a massive improvement in performance, so it is worth doing.

Last edited:
You can remove/disable a lot of that fluff manually - it's the first thing that I do after installing Windows.
I tried this with W10 Retail, and removing or disabling fluff broke my OS bad. I don't recommend folks do anything illegal or things they are not comfortable with. It's a user choice.

If your experienced with removing and disabling things in retail, you may have better luck than I had. For me, this was a good solution.

*EDIT - I do a lot of audio and general production work and saw a massive improvement in performance, so it is worth doing.
Its what everybody should do. BTW there is a very useful little tool called autoruns. Its worth a look just for general pc health. In XP days clued up gamers were making significant registry changes to do with packet size and stuff like that. There is a tool for this aswell called TCP optimiser that does alot of what used to get done by hand. If you trust a tool to automate stuff like that, every pc is different. Use TCP optimiser with care you can break things.

Just let me say in general im totally agaist "tools" like this but those two are actually useful. There is soooo much that has to be done to windows to make it game ready.

Last edited:
I tried this with W10 Retail, and removing or disabling fluff broke my OS bad. I don't recommend folks do anything illegal or things they are not comfortable with. It's a user choice.

If your experienced with removing and disabling things in retail, you may have better luck than I had. For me, this was a good solution.
Windows 10 just makes it a bit more difficult with its "hand-holding" approach than older versions (and of course they want you to use that rubbish :D). I used Command Prompt commands (which are built into Win 10 by design, but hidden from the average user). I imagine that something like CCleaner would do the job just as well. When it comes to the pre-installed default apps (like Store, Maps, Food and blooming Drink etc), all of these can be removed safely. You need to be a bit more careful when disabling Background Services, but it's easy enough to research what each does and whether you need it to be running. It's just a matter of using caution and common sense.

Last edited:
Its what everybody should do. BTW there is a very useful little tool called autoruns. Its worth a look just for general pc health. In XP days clued up gamers were making significant registry changes to do with packet size and stuff like that. There is a tool for this aswell called TCP optimiser that does alot of what used to get done by hand. If you trust a tool to automate stuff like that, every pc is different. Use TCP optimiser with care you can break things.

Just let me say in general im totally agaist "tools" like this but those two are actually useful. There is soooo much that has to be done to windows to make it game ready.
Yeah, the whole Sysinternals suite is great - I've been using them for years:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/

I’m an MS Gold Partner, But I don’t drink the Kool-Aid. MS has a pretty long history of pulling some really baffling moves and releasing things that probably should have gone into the bin instead of production (ME, Vista, Windows 8, to name a few).

I get what they’re trying to do with Windows 10, and contrary to popular belief it’s not mine our Wallets with the Windows Store. They’re trying to nanny us, because Nannyism is a real and growing social trend. To keep us safe from ourselves, they have gone to greater and greater lengths to do things like forcibly update Windows, remove, obscure, disguise and over-complicate administrative functions, and many of the “features” that annoy us.

They are also targeting both much younger and much older audiences, knowing the earlier they can hook someone, the longer they are to keep them. It’s not unlike the same reason Apple so commonly donated their PC’s and operating systems to schools, especially grade schools.

I’m an MS Gold Partner, But I don’t drink the Kool-Aid. MS has a pretty long history of pulling some really baffling moves and releasing things that probably should have gone into the bin instead of production (ME, Vista, Windows 8, to name a few).

I get what they’re trying to do with Windows 10, and contrary to popular belief it’s not mine our Wallets with the Windows Store. They’re trying to nanny us, because Nannyism is a real and growing social trend. To keep us safe from ourselves, they have gone to greater and greater lengths to do things like forcibly update Windows, remove, obscure, disguise and over-complicate administrative functions, and many of the “features” that annoy us.

They are also targeting both much younger and much older audiences, knowing the earlier they can hook someone, the longer they are to keep them. It’s not unlike the same reason Apple so commonly donated their PC’s and operating systems to schools, especially grade schools.
Yes, it's definitely a case of designing for the lowest common denominator, but they should also continue cater for more advanced users and not actively make it more difficult. It's a pain in the **** for anyone who wants to use their PC for something more than online shopping. I know a few naive performers who have fallen fail of forced MS updates (just as they're about to start their big, career launching AV gigs :D).

Last edited:
I actually like Windows 10 now, but it was a dog's dinner performance wise when I first installed it.

We were confronted with the same problem and were reluctant to switch to Win 10, so we built our own custom installer with all the telemetry stripped out and made an essentially custom version the also blocks upgrades similar to the way LTSC does.

Runs very nicely. clean with no harassment from M$

Sorry - copies not available

If you want something done right...

Too many security vulnerabilities.
The LTSC still gets security updates and shouldn't be any less secure than any other version of Windows 10, unless you want it to be.

You know back in the day we did this stuff ourself? If you own a computer you should at least have some idea how stuff works.
A lot harder to do this with modern Windows without breaking stuff.

If when it is possible to strip out the excess fluff, it's so much more convenient to start with a version that is closer to the ideal.

It took people online a couple days to make dx10 work with xp.
DX10 has never worked correctly with Window XP. Rumors of successful ports were greatly exaggerated.

Hello CMDR's

Just an FYI here.

I think for general gaming the best windows 10 version is windows 7.
:)

The Win 10 core is definitely an improvement over Win 7

It's just the Nannyware and telemetry that makes it undesireable.

Once that's all stripped out it's really very good. My museum piece PC runs faster on 10.

But if you don't know how to do all that, you are much better off with Win 7 - but it will be forced out before much longer which is why we decided it was time to move on.

Last edited:
I think for general gaming the best windows 10 version is windows 7.
And if you have 7 Pro, you can even get support until end of 2022 for 350 USD.

Seriously though, if you're still using Win7, disconnect that machine from the Internet now, for the good of all of us.

Seriously though, if you're still using Win7, disconnect that machine from the Internet now, for the good of all of us.
Nonsense. I am good until the end of this year.
My security is far above average.

My pc's have not been infected even once in more than 35 years.
The only time a PC got infected was when a store bought floppy disk (if you remember those) contained a virus out of the box. It must have been in the days that dinosaurs still ruled the earth. I was still green then. Things like that cannot happen on my systems anymore.

Last edited:
Top Bottom