Very Important Things about the Alpha in this post

Weapon fire rate is tied to framerate. Don't know if this is known or not yet, better to be safe than sorry as this can turn into a serious issue later on.

The controller aim assist just plain makes it more difficult to hit targets than if there was none at all. It often hard locks not even on the target, forcing you to really have to fight against it to get back on target. Or adjust aim from the body to the head. I mean REALLY fight it, using 100% thumbstick output, which often just makes your aim fly way off base when you finally break the lock like snapping a rubber band. Having it also apply to interactables is also just as awkward, confusing and unintuitive. It does however seem to be fine with mouse and keyboard.

Grenade throwing is, for some reason, above the reticule. Not sure if this is a bug or a result of low gravity, but they should follow a straight trajectory with gravity only modifying the drop rate and bounce I think.

Personal shielding really, really sucks. It shouldn't even be in the game at all and instead use something like hard plates with finite protection before health takes damage. Yeah this is an opinion, but its a good one. Anyone saying they like the personal shielding is being contrarian just for the sake of it.

That is all. Good bye.

wait.. so like decoding bio/geo sites on planets, fire rate is tied to framerate as well?? what Fdev

The controller aim assist
If you're playing an FPS with anything other than mouse + keyboard you are doing it wrong. Gameplay loop for PC users is now:

• Pick up mission
  • Fly to planet
  • Land
  • Remove VR headset
  • Put contoller or HOTAS to one side
  • Take up mouse and keyboard
  • Play on foot mission
  • Summon ship
  • Board ship
  • Put mouse and keyboard to one side
  • Put VR headset back on
  • Pick up controller or HOTAS
  • Take off
  • Fly to mission giver
  • Accept reward

Gameplay loop for console users is now:
  • Pick up mission
  • Fly to planet
  • Land
  • Rage quit

If you're playing an FPS with anything other than mouse + keyboard you are doing it wrong. Gameplay loop for PC users is now:

• Pick up mission
  • Fly to planet
  • Land
  • Remove VR headset
  • Play on foot mission
  • Summon ship
  • Board ship
  • Put VR headset back on
  • Take off
  • Fly to mission giver
  • Accept reward

• Pick up mission
  • Fly to planet
  • Land
  • Rage quit
Not the point of this thread but thanks for the bump.

I don't think the shield existing is a problem. The problem is that it comes back online way too quick (and it recharges too fast?). And this is a major problem if you are trying to fight against more than a single enemy at the same time. I would prefer if we, and the npcs, have a mix of both worlds - a shield that can protect you just enough for you to react when under fire before going offline for few minutes, plus armor plating that can take a good beating before depleting permanently and exposing your hit points. The shield should still be very absorbent to kinetics, the armor plating should make energy weapons feel like water guns and your hit points should suffer from both weapon types.

I don't think the shield existing is a problem. The problem is that it comes back online way too quick (and it recharges too fast?).

Treed there with coution as NPCs' shield have exactly same recharge rate as yours. Could you imagine a swarm of 5 NPCs chasing you and you waiting 2 min for your shield to get back.

I think the shield come back is already adjusted after initial feedback.

• Pick up mission
  • Fly to planet
  • Land
  • Remove VR headset
  • Play on foot mission
  • Summon ship
  • Board ship
  • Put VR headset back on
  • Take off
  • Fly to mission giver
  • Accept reward

• Pick up mission
  • Fly to planet
  • Land
  • Rage quit

Hard disagree with "wrong". Nowhere near as optimal? Absolutely! But hands down, a controller is infinitly more convenient to use than M&K and if you want to avoid a cumbersome experience transitioning between different control methods, then absolutley a gamepad is the way to go.

If you're using a HOTAS though, you're most definitely going to switch inputs no matter what, so a M&K is the way to go if you're already using cumbersome inputs.

Weapon fire rate is tied to framerate. Don't know if this is known or not yet, better to be safe than sorry as this can turn into a serious issue later on.

The controller aim assist just plain makes it more difficult to hit targets than if there was none at all. It often hard locks not even on the target, forcing you to really have to fight against it to get back on target. Or adjust aim from the body to the head. I mean REALLY fight it, using 100% thumbstick output, which often just makes your aim fly way off base when you finally break the lock like snapping a rubber band. Having it also apply to interactables is also just as awkward, confusing and unintuitive. It does however seem to be fine with mouse and keyboard.

Grenade throwing is, for some reason, above the reticule. Not sure if this is a bug or a result of low gravity, but they should follow a straight trajectory with gravity only modifying the drop rate and bounce I think.

Personal shielding really, really sucks. It shouldn't even be in the game at all and instead use something like hard plates with finite protection before health takes damage. Yeah this is an opinion, but its a good one. Anyone saying they like the personal shielding is being contrarian just for the sake of it.

That is all. Good bye.

My suspicions exactly. A good frame rate is tantamount to a positive FPS experience. I've noticed that combat is near impossible for me on worlds with atmospheres, frames drop as low as 15fps which is unplayable even for a station and the spongeyness of the NPCs just adds to the woes.

Also didn't know there was an aim assist. Where is that located in settings? Probably won't use it but wouldn't mind checking it out.

Hard disagree with "wrong". Nowhere near as optimal? Absolutely! But hands down, a controller is infinitly more convenient to use than M&K and if you want to avoid a cumbersome experience transitioning between different control methods, then absolutley a gamepad is the way to go.
No, controller is absolutely the wrong control method for a first person shooter. Third person shooter can work if the dev does a good job (Saints Row = example of good third person shooter with controller - game can be played fast and accurately with a controller with no appreciable difference compared to mouse + keyboard, while Metal Gear Solid V = example of bad third person shooter with controller - game can be played 10x more accurately and 10x faster with mouse and keyboard), but controller is never ok for first person shooters.

See thing is you're comparing a typical PC desktop experience (which I would agree, why would you use a gamepad when at a desk with a pc?) to games that are primarily console based experiences...

For me personally my gaming PC is set up to a 150" projector screen, playing from couch hunched over using a mouse and keyboard is by far the worst thing I could do for long periods. A controller I can sit back comfortably and experience. Theoretically I could have the keyboard on my lap with the mouse tracking on the couch, but that is not ideal for FPS either, the controller being a single peice of equipment makes for much more convenience.

So I still think M&K is optimal, but cumbersome.

If they wanted it to use a controller they should have either:
a) Made it third person instead of first person to allow for fast accurate controls
b) Not made it a shooter so slow innacurate first person controller doesn't matter
c) Nerf AI perception and accuracy whenever they are off screen to compensate for the amount of time it will take you to aim towards them

If they wanted it to use a controller they should have either:
a) Made it third person instead of first person to allow for fast accurate controls
b) Not made it a shooter so slow innacurate first person controller doesn't matter
c) Nerf AI perception and accuracy whenever they are off screen to compensate for the amount of time it will take you to aim towards them

I dont disagree, what I'm saying is 'wrong' isn't the best term. HOTAS is obviously the best way to fly ships, a controller is second and M&K is less so. Its not that M&K are 'wrong' just not optimal, but plenty of people still fly ships with them.

When it comes to FPS HOTAS is pretty god awful, and mouse and keyboard is optimal and again a controller sits somewhere in between.

Not even a cap - I hope the DPS is not related to the FPS at all...
I mean a burst rifle shooting 3 shots slower than your current fps would certainly do less damage.
:LOL:
Not impossible with these monster hardware requirements we have until now.

I imagine doing frontline in minimum graphics to have an edge.
Sweet sweet unreal tournament times :ROFLMAO:

Oh, I found a simple test done (with the unreal engine - which is notable for fps/dps relation)
Shooting walls and count the hits in a given time, with different fps.
That's easy, gues I'm gonna do this later.

Wait. Did anyone make tests on the weapon fire/framerate thing?
If there is no cap, that would be crippling.
I found on some planets I can get 60fps looking straight up, but only 27fps looking at a building. With the laser and kinetic pistol it very obviously fires at a much faster rate at 60fps pointing up, roughly double than at 27fps. Its much harder to detect with the fully automatic weapons though and I'm not really sure about them, I guess I'd have to time how long it takes to run out of ammo. Whether this is a result of the input oversampling interacting with framerate, or an engine thing, or a mix of both, I have no idea. Thats something for fdev to investigate, if they feel like it, I guess.

As for the aim assist there are no options for it, its just always on, regardless of whether you use a mouse or a controller. Its just far, far less noticeable with a mouse because the input is absolute pixel to pixel. An option to turn it off would be helpful, but I have a feeling its the same exact thing as the railroading effect you see when using the cutting tool since this is an alpha and corners were probably cut to get that sweet early access cash.

Treed there with coution as NPCs' shield have exactly same recharge rate as yours. Could you imagine a swarm of 5 NPCs chasing you and you waiting 2 min for your shield to get back.
Which should be an easy to deal with problem after some engineering. Suits should allow a lot of tinkering and optimization imo. A shield with a lot of hp and slow regen, a shield with small hp and very fast recharge, a balance between hp and regen, but more energy hungry. Same for armor: normal armor good for any occasion; heavy armor for heavy beating, but reducing your speed and jumps; experimental one that slowly repairs itself, but at the cost of extra energy consumption. There is so much potential with both suits and weapons that can satisfy any taste out there and I hope that Fdev will not be afraid to be creative and experiment.

Wait.....fire rate related to FRAME RATE? Im getting demolished in every NPC encounter and whilst i was reluctantly accepting my FPS skills from 20 years ago (I was a league CS player, amoungest other FPS games) had diminished somewhat I didnt expect to be this bad. My FPS is 25-35 in Oydessy - am i really this bad or is the game (in its current state) causing problems for me?

Top Bottom