Very Important Things about the Alpha in this post

I don't think the shield existing is a problem. The problem is that it comes back online way too quick (and it recharges too fast?). And this is a major problem if you are trying to fight against more than a single enemy at the same time. I would prefer if we, and the npcs, have a mix of both worlds - a shield that can protect you just enough for you to react when under fire before going offline for few minutes, plus armor plating that can take a good beating before depleting permanently and exposing your hit points. The shield should still be very absorbent to kinetics, the armor plating should make energy weapons feel like water guns and your hit points should suffer from both weapon types.
It isn't necessarily that it exists, its the role it plays being redundant and unnecessary, pointlessly drawing out combat. In space, you can justify from a gameplay perspective that shields are necessary. There is no cover, no way to completely avoid damage and returning for repairs with already massive supercruise travel times would be just awful. On foot, damage is completely avoidable through strategic use of cover and your surroundings. You also have access to health kits in abundance already if you make a mistake. Its very forgiving. Maybe they could be worked into the gameplay as an active defense against incoming ordinance at the cost of massive power use, but the shield projector grenades already fill that niche. Alternatively they could just be very, very light as with Planetside 2, or the Halo games. Really just there to give you a chance to react to being shot at.

Which should be an easy to deal with problem after some engineering. Suits should allow a lot of tinkering and optimization imo. A shield with a lot of hp and slow regen, a shield with small hp and very fast recharge, a balance between hp and regen, but more energy hungry. Same for armor: normal armor good for any occasion; heavy armor for heavy beating, but reducing your speed and jumps; experimental one that slowly repairs itself, but at the cost of extra energy consumption. There is so much potential with both suits and weapons that can satisfy any taste out there and I hope that Fdev will not be afraid to be creative and experiment.
I find the idea of shield tanked ships with legs more than a little disturbing and discouraging. Its bad enough I feel like ten minutes of my life was wasted in space chewing through a cutters shields and cell banks. Even with efficient plasmas in every single hardpoint on an anaconda it still takes a mind bogglingly long time, so long that I was already bored of turning a lot and flying backwards less than halfway into the engagement. That isn't even counting the numbers a player can get in terms of shield strength. I thought the whole point of this expansion was to make you feel vulnerable outside your ship and not just yet another ship with legs instead of wheels like the SRV.

Yeah, I get what you mean, but the shield tanks are possible because of the shield boosters that give ridiculous numbers when engineered, its not even funny, plus that there are the shield cells. While the suits have only the built in shield to tinker around with. And, I agree with you - the default shield should be strong enough to just give you time to react when someone shoots at you, heck, it may even be buffed to eat way less energy, wouldn't make that much of a difference if it can withstand only few hits anyway.

But I don't really think there is reason to expect shield tanks on foot. I mean, energy consumption is high, you can carry only 3 cells at most, there are not many options and chances to get alternative sources of energy while on the grounds. Also, there is the fact that ammo is very limited, while you can just stand next to a recharge port and keep your energy and shield up, you won't last long once your ammo runs out.

Btw, how does a weapon engineering mod that eats away at the energy of the target sounds?

The controller aim assist just plain makes it more difficult to hit targets than if there was none at all. It often hard locks not even on the target, forcing you to really have to fight against it to get back on target. Or adjust aim from the body to the head. I mean REALLY fight it, using 100% thumbstick output, which often just makes your aim fly way off base when you finally break the lock like snapping a rubber band. Having it also apply to interactables is also just as awkward, confusing and unintuitive. It does however seem to be fine with mouse and keyboard.
In my experience the aim assist also applies to M&K, you have to apply some mouse movement to "unlock" the reticule from a target.
Same with the cutting tool on the access panels. Horrible.

Yeah, I get what you mean, but the shield tanks are possible because of the shield boosters that give ridiculous numbers when engineered, its not even funny, plus that there are the shield cells. While the suits have only the built in shield to tinker around with. And, I agree with you - the default shield should be strong enough to just give you time to react when someone shoots at you, heck, it may even be buffed to eat way less energy, wouldn't make that much of a difference if it can withstand only few hits anyway.

But I don't really think there is reason to expect shield tanks on foot. I mean, energy consumption is high, you can carry only 3 cells at most, there are not many options and chances to get alternative sources of energy while on the grounds. Also, there is the fact that ammo is very limited, while you can just stand next to a recharge port and keep your energy and shield up, you won't last long once your ammo runs out.

Btw, how does a weapon engineering mod that eats away at the energy of the target sounds?
With the results we have so far, what makes you think they wont have it turn into more of the same? We can see that engineering increases weapon damage by 2.5 times (which is a whole nother can of worms of problems I can't believe they're willing to open again), but we also haven't seen the dedicated combat suits yet that, if I had to wager a guess, have enough shield potential that the only way to crack it is point blank them in the face with a fully engineered plasma shotgun repeatedly. All speculation on my part, yes, but this is what we've been given so far in the last expansion and frankly, it sucks.

No, controller is absolutely the wrong control method for a first person shooter. Third person shooter can work if the dev does a good job (Saints Row = example of good third person shooter with controller - game can be played fast and accurately with a controller with no appreciable difference compared to mouse + keyboard, while Metal Gear Solid V = example of bad third person shooter with controller - game can be played 10x more accurately and 10x faster with mouse and keyboard), but controller is never ok for first person shooters.
Militant M&K users like yourself and posts like the above do make me chuckle.

So as a PC player using a gamepad to play Elite, including Odyssey (and pretty much all other FPS games in my library), means I'm playing it "wrong" then? Haha. I shall hand myself into the local police station for crimes committed against FPSdom by playing with a gamepad, and enjoying it.

People play games to have fun, if they have a desire for "efficiency" when doing so then that's their perogative/problem - and one thing the keyboard cannot do in this game is analogue movement controls, which rules M&K out from the get go for me. If others are ok with that limitation just to be able to keep their KD up then that's fine, least I don't berate them for using their preferred mode of input.

What a ridiculous post.

I could be tempted to report the post with offensive refrerences in... Perhaps you might like to reconsider how you describe Moderators... I'lll give you 5 minutes before I report it, OK?

Personal shielding really, really sucks. It shouldn't even be in the game at all and instead use something like hard plates with finite protection before health takes damage.
As it stands, our shields are effectively finite - they drain your suit's battery incredibly quickly, and hugging a suit charger isn't exactly the most optimal approach to combat as they're all in wide open spaces with multiple angles from which enemies can come flooding in at you.

Shields could use a longer time before rebooting, though. Maybe slow the recharge rate as well. Also definitely make damage resistances less harsh - shields shouldn't absorb entire kinetic rifle magazines. The only reason damage resistances work so well with ships is that you can switch weapons immediately.

Weapon fire rate is tied to framerate. Don't know if this is known or not yet, better to be safe than sorry as this can turn into a serious issue later on.
This is in the Base-Game too. Try with 30 fps vs. 60 or 90 you will see / hear the difference

This is in the Base-Game too. Try with 30 fps vs. 60 or 90 you will see / hear the difference
Interesting, I've only ever played it at 60. It sure would explain all the desync weirdness in the P2P if running at much higher framerate is essentially like old school speedhacks.

If you're playing an FPS with anything other than mouse + keyboard you are doing it wrong. Gameplay loop for PC users is now:

• Pick up mission
  • Fly to planet
  • Land
  • Remove VR headset
  • Put contoller or HOTAS to one side
  • Take up mouse and keyboard
  • Play on foot mission
  • Summon ship
  • Board ship
  • Put mouse and keyboard to one side
  • Put VR headset back on
  • Pick up controller or HOTAS
  • Take off
  • Fly to mission giver
  • Accept reward

Gameplay loop for console users is now:
  • Pick up mission
  • Fly to planet
  • Land
  • Rage quit
Well in my case...

• Get whiskey from the fridge
  • Sit in comfy chair
  • Pad dog on head beside me
  • Take up mouse and keyboard
  • Fly to planet
  • Play on foot mission
  • Summon ship
  • Drink whiskey
  • Scratch me nuts
  • Board ship
  • Fly to mission giver
  • Accept reward

Last edited:
So you're saying existing PvP is determined by frame rate? I'm surprised PvPers don't complain about that - or are they all playing with LOW settings in VGA resolution?

FPS/frame rate and use in PvP (better frame rate = more likley to be accurate) has always been linked. There are a few good videos on this by the usual suspects to prove it. Linus Tech tips and so on.

why is anything tied to the FPS of the game? I can see sounds and animation maybe, but actual gameplay affecting things, like how fast your weapons fire, shouldn't be

why is anything tied to the FPS of the game? I can see sounds and animation maybe, but actual gameplay affecting things, like how fast your weapons fire, shouldn't be
Computers are based on a "push, pop" stack, even multitasking is not true multitasking, everything must link to the clock cycle. The faster the clock, the faster the player can reaact. This means every componanet is linked to each other. Got the fastest cpu? Still not so good if yout GFX card is not matched. One will wait for the other and this will affect framerate and the detection of the player firing their weapon. Again recommend doing quick search on youtube, there are some great videos that do a far better job of explaining.

last time i see ist was Yesterday, my FPS drops in an CZ from normal 100+ to 29fps for (like 10 minutes) on my beams i saw nothing (because beams) but on my imperial hammers, they was slower (much much slower) and dont hit the target. Sry i have no video of this but try it out. I dont if there is a point where more frames dont count but between 30 and 60 fps there is a big difference.

Weapon fire rate is tied to framerate. Don't know if this is known or not yet, better to be safe than sorry as this can turn into a serious issue later on.

Wow, if this is true, you should all feel sorry for me running at 21fps in settlements, no wonder i can only use the rocket launcher effectively!

Man FD, cutting corners AGAIN!

Top Bottom