#2 Fuel rats
#3 Strip the ship
#4 Best scanners
#5 Max out Jumprange
#6 Repairs
#7 Asteroid bases
#8 Road to riches
#9 Passanger missions

Post your favorite tips for exploration below!

Once more to appease forum dads here's the written (more boring) version:
#1 Fuelscoop
#2 Fuel rats
#3 Strip the ship
#4 Best scanners
#5 Max out Jumprange
#6 Repairs
#7 Asteroid bases
#8 Road to riches
#9 Passanger missions

Post your favorite tips for exploration below!

Do I notice a slight change of content in your ED vids. More to gameplay tips?

For power plants go with the smallest A rated one that can power everything but your AFMU(s). Give it a grade one overcharge and add the stripped down experimental effect which knocks 10 percent off the weight.

Also, if you really want to max out your jump range and have a ship that can take it... halve the fuel tank.

My Asp X has a half sized fuel tank and the FSD is G5 Engineered with Deep Charge, and although that limits me to 3 jumps per tank at max range, I've always found this to be more than manageable because I'm always avoiding brown dwarf and proto-star systems anyway.

For power plants go with the smallest A rated one that can power everything but your AFMU(s). Give it a grade one overcharge and add the stripped down experimental effect which knocks 10 percent off the weight.

for most ships overcharging D rated modules would do it just fine if you disable unneeded parts like AFMU

Or, have an A-grade powerplant that can supply you with power to all vital systems while having a grade 1 low-emissions modification on it. Stripped down as a special effect, of course. Also, disabling all non-essential systems lets your ship run cooler.

I also wouldn't recommend exploring without at least a bump shield for those planetary landings.
I am currently out in the not soooo deep black (~6kly), with an AspX with no shields at all. Instead, I brought some repair limpets to fix the bumps from planetary landings, and was very careful when setting down on that >2g planet [yesnod]. After about a week, and maybe 5-6 landings, so far I used 3 limpets (when ~70-80% hull, fixing it back to 100%!) and haven't used the AMFU at all - all modules still at 100%...
With that said, I contemplate to skip the SRV in future exploration trips (with AspX) - I only use it for raw material collection, and that I can also do in or near the bubble. First choice as alternative would be a guardian FSD booster, if I ever bother to unlock it. [alien]

I haven't watched the video, so I don't know what it says about the Detailed Surface Scanner. "Natural" choice to me was "Long Range" engineering, and so I did to grade 5. Now that I am out here, I am actually not so sure about that choice. Going long range, it gives me an obvious advantage scanning distant gas giants often well above 2kls and distant companion stars as well while going full throttle. However, most of the time I am chasing "the real money" scanning MR/HMC/WW/ELW/AW bodies, to which you have to get so close, that the "long range" bonus doesn't seem very effective, as scanning takes very long and often forces me to an almost full stop - I wonder whether "fast scan" engineering might be the better (=more credits/time efficient) alternative; maybe not all the way to grade 5, but just 3 or something... [weird]
Going grade 5 on either adds 100% mass to the DSS, with "long range" adding a 200% range bonus, and "fast scan" a 80% scan rate...

Last edited:
I am currently out in the not soooo deep black (~6kly), with an AspX with no shields at all. Instead, I brought some repair limpets to fix the bumps from planetary landings, and was very careful when setting down on that >2g planet [yesnod]. After about a week, and maybe 5-6 landings, so far I used 3 limpets (still above 70% hull, fixing it back to 100%!) and haven't used the AMFU at all - all modules still at 100%...
With that said, I contemplate to skip the SRV in future exploration trips - I only use it for raw material collection, and that I can also do in or near the bubble. First choice as alternative would be a guardian FSD booster, if I ever bother to unlock it. [alien]

I haven't watched the video, so I don't know what it says about the Detailed Surface Scanner. "Natural" choice to me was "Long Range" engineering, and so I did to grade 5. Now that I am out here, I am actually not so sure about that choice. Going long range, it gives me an obvious advantage scanning distant gas giants often well above 2kls and distant companion stars as well while going full throttle. However, most of the time I am chasing "the real money" scanning MR/HMC/WW/ELW/AW bodies, to which you have to get so close, that the "long range" bonus doesn't seem very effective, as scanning takes very long and often forces me to an almost full stop - I wonder whether "fast scan" engineering might be the better (=more credits/time efficient) alternative; maybe not all the way to grade 5, but just 3 or something... [weird]
Going grade 5 on either adds 100% mass to the DSS, with "long range" adding a 200% range bonus, and "fast scan" a 80% scan rate...

I settled on long range on my Conda. I found turning in supercruise near the star to be a chore, so took to dropping down & scanning anything within reach from normal space.

I tried the fast scan but it didn't feel like it was all that 'fast', and when I'm scanning I'm not usually in a hurry. YMMV.

The most important thing is bringing a ship you feel like exploring. One of my best trips was when I left the detailed surface scanner at the station, picked up some railguns instead, and just went out there, following the Perseus Arm..

Top Bottom