[Video] Elitism in Elite Dangerous

great vid as always. surprised to see no one has commented on the vid here yet.

i'll just say, i enjoy your perspective on Elite Dangerous as well as several other CMDRs in the youtube circle whom make videos regularly.

a variety of view points is appreciated. keep doin what you're doin.

Its the developers job to push players towards stuff that they think people will enjoy. Because they're game developers, and if they don't have a better idea of what people will enjoy than people who haven't even played the game yet, then they probably shouldn't be.

Great video....

I dont mind newer people flying the big ships, but I do mind when they make topics about how the ships suck compared to their Viper or Cobra that they were flying before their shiny new Conda. They dont experience the ship scales that progresses you along to figuring out the pros and cons of each class of ship and why is the rebuy so expensive.

Play however you want to play. Just dont get mad when I dont want to be your game content and dont sympathize with you when you want 99% insurance coverage and instant this and that.

I thought a Forum Dad was a player/poster who was a father, had a family and complained that the game was to time consuming so wanted the bar lowered.
You have called a Forum dad someone who wants people to have to earn what they have over time like in the good old days.

I also thought a Forum dad was an older poster who checked everyone else in their opinions like a father would a child.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Forumdad

Forumdad
A male, usually with a wife, kids, and a job; who posts on video game related forums, reddit, and image boards. Forumdads usually complain about how hard things are in the game they're currently playing, because they only have 2 hours a week to play it.

Last edited:
I really don't know what "Forum Dad" really means, is it someone that feels compelled to tell others what do (regardless of their age) or someone who is believes in structure, procedure and order rather than the opposites of those terms?

What I do know is that there is a subset of individuals throughout the digital world that make insults/negative comments of all types to see what reactions they return. They bask in the glory of their notoriety and must derive some sort of self-satisfaction because they repeat this behavior over and over again. Also, it's easy to do.

Even your video is a response to their baiting. Unlikely that you or anyone will stop these individuals from doing what they do.

As to the docking computer, I stopped using it because the darn thing was trying to kill me, it wasn't to be trusted.

If some player has the CR to buy ship X, by all means, spend the money.

If they want to fly w/o re-buy or they get smoked by an NPC or another CMNDR and they post their complaints or experiences on the forum, they should expect a whole range of responses; sympathy, ridicule, insults, and maybe some helpful criticism.

"Blaze your own trail" is sometimes the explosion of your ship because you should have thought out what you were doing.;)

Another good video by Yamiks.

There is one thing about the "play it my way" mentality. When someone is whining that part of the game is impossible or that something takes too long, whatever, they should expect replies of "this is how you should be doing it".

Man, I can't rep this enough. A certain bunch of people come to mind immediately. Narrow minded, vitriolic and yes, elitist. While being poor sods at the same time.

I thought a Forum Dad was a player/poster who was a father, had a family and complained that the game was to time consuming so wanted the bar lowered.
You have called a Forum dad someone who wants people to have to earn what they have over time like in the good old days.

I also thought a Forum dad was an older poster who checked everyone else in their opinions like a father would a child.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Forumdad
Means the inverse here.

The meaning here is a condescending grognard.

Great clip but unfortunately those it was aimed at will probably never watch it because they assume they know everything already.

Oh and as for DC, I must be so damn lucky, never had one kill me, the worst is the very rare bouncy landing (no shield loss either)..

So no the forums is a game? I guess Demo is not the only free part of ED to play then!
I see this mentioned a lot. Like these forums are a war zone or something. This forum makes me think of a English high society tea party compared to most forums I hang out/lurk in.

Another enjoyable video. [up]

I think the whole "docking computer" thing has just about come full-circle.
It's got to the point where people build their flying death-machines and then deliberately bung a DC back into them, partially because they just CBA docking and partially because they're just waiting for a would-be ganker to spot it on the sub-systems list and assume they're a noob.

Having an attacker whine about not being able to kill you just cos your Cutter turns out not to be made of tinfoil, despite having a DC fitted, is pretty amusing. :p

Last edited:
Agree with the video.
However I find it necessary to point out people that follow that philosophy of doing what they want but when it backfires they complain and blame everything and everyone but themselves.

Top Bottom