[video] Is making 100 mil/h unreasonable ?!

Not unreasable, but not worth the effort. There are still lots of ways in the game to make more money than crappy 100 million an hour.

Question is: What do we need all the money for?

Sorry, I am one of the “destroyed content parrots” you are mocking. No further discussion seems to be desired here ... *shrug*

Well .... yes and no.

Making a 100 mil and hour should be possible if the stars align and a beam of light shines from the heavens upon you while angels sing, in other words, you found yourself the perfect opportunity. And like all of these opportunity, you get it while it's hot, then it becomes known, and then it dries out. Appearing somewhere else where the conditions become favourable.

It's a shame these gold rushes are caused by quirks in the code, and not created organically because of market forces, or other in game variables.

Having hot spots pop in and out of existence where CMDRs converge on and suck dry would beat having 1 spot being drilled for weeks.

edit watching the tube now: navy rank grind wall [mad]

Last edited:
Well .... yes and no.

Making a 100 mil and hour should be possible if the stars align and a beam of light shines from the heavens upon you while angels sing, in other words, you found yourself the perfect opportunity. And like all of these opportunity, you get it while it's hot, then it becomes known, and then it dries out. Appearing somewhere else where the conditions become favourable.

It's a shame these gold rushes are caused by quirks in the code, and not created organically because of market forces, or other in game variables.

Having hot spots pop in and out of existence where CMDRs converge on and suck dry would beat having 1 spot being drilled for weeks.

edit watching the tube now: navy rank grind wall [mad]

Right!? Wouldn't it be awesome to had trading be like that?! sure maybe not 100mil, but 70-80 mil sure!

I think the subject of cr/hr is conflated by arguments from newer players thinking they should be able to make the same amount as those who've spent copious amounts of time ranking up. It's the "i just joined the game and want an Anaconda nao!!!" attitude, vs those who've spent time playing wondering where the hell the commensurate rewards are for all their time invested.

This game is no different from any other in that respect- and it would seriously behoove FD to remind themselves when "balancing" missions and the like.

Instead, they've been playing "whack-a-mole" with the mission boards because someone starts whining about other people being able to make "X" amount of credits for a particular type of mission.

That said, you'll always have "those" players who want "instant everything" as soon as they start a game. That's great for "P2W" style loot-box games, but not so great for games like ED.

IMO, it would be best if FD focused their efforts on multipliers that are affected by ranks for credit reward increases, rather than singular mission types.

The longer time you spend playing, the more you should earn- just like if you're more experienced in a profession, the more you expect in terms of salary.

Has nothing to do with the "size of ship" you're flying. It's about your experience.

I started ED ~6 months ago and am currently worth ~4.5 billion, never using a gold rush.

I don't remember how long it took me to get into an AspX and start making 10mil/hour, but it wasn't long. Twenty hours of that financed a very capable Python that could take in 30-40 mil an hour once the leg work went into finding and improving rep in good systems. I earned first billion and elite here.

Big cargo ships at first seemed to slow me down compared to Python, then I found some good A-B cargo mission systems and 100 million an hour is about average when most factions in boom.

I rarely run any those routes anymore, too busy getting to know all the ships I skipped on the way. Last couple weeks I've spent most of my time in a Type-6 and iEagle.

I would like it if other things payed as well as missions or a little closer, buy I never figured out how to get them too.

I think starting out a million/hour wall should be easy to get to, followed by 10 million/hour and on like my progression was.

Once at a couple elites and in 100million plus outfitted ships, I'd say a good passive income for doing things like exploring and combat would be 10 million an hour, with the ability to hit 50 or so with some focus to a trade. Blending professions with missions could then push people to the 100 million/hour range, which I think is at the verge of making credits trivial.

credits should be a limiting agent of progression in the game. That way it serves the purpose of being a reward. It gets to be a game mechanic.

When you devalue credits to the point where they mean nothing, and you dont replace that limiting agent of progression with something else ...you lose a game mechanic, to circumvent another set of bad game machanics. You effectively de-game the game.

Yes, if you had to choose "Devalue credits or live with enending boredom trying to acquire them", the best gameplay option is devalue the credits. But a 3rd option does exist. It's make acquiring them not boring. The third option is the only option that benefits the game and players.

So yes, it's ridiculous to make 100mil credits an hour. It's stupid and short sighted or even no-sighted to even want that kind of inflation. And it's pretty sad that there seems to be a disconnect between fdev and their playerbase where the _BASIC_ activities a player has to do all the time isn't fun and that those aren't the immediate priority of the developers to remedy.

Make traveling fun. Not instant. Make combat fun, not repetitive or cheaty. Make mining fun, not 100% dependent on random(). Make trading fun. Not based on a game mechanic lifted verbatim from 1994. If the basic activities a player has to do are fun, there wont be a drive to castrate the game mechanics that act as a limiting agent to progression. And maybe we'd start to have a game that could utilize some strategy.

Last edited:
Just remembered when I first started and saw a community goal in progress that would net me hundreds of thousands of credits for delivering a single ton of cargo. It felt like an exploit until I did the 20 jumps in a Sidewinder to get to Lembava from starting area. Those were fun times!

I think the subject of cr/hr is conflated by arguments from newer players thinking they should be able to make the same amount as those who've spent copious amounts of time ranking up. It's the "i just joined the game and want an Anaconda nao!!!" attitude, vs those who've spent time playing wondering where the hell the commensurate rewards are for all their time invested.
Unfortunately, these kind of players pop up in every game, and having access to 1000 hours of YouTube videos before you even launch the game exacerbates the problem.

This game is no different from any other in that respect- and it would seriously behoove FD to remind themselves when "balancing" missions and the like.

Instead, they've been playing "whack-a-mole" with the mission boards because someone starts whining about other people being able to make "X" amount of credits for a particular type of mission.
They play whack-a-mole because their focus is not on Elite, it's on the current projects that are going to keep the studio financed. I would be really surprised if they actually had more than 12-15 people assigned to ED, and if they do, I would be a bit disappointed with the lack of attention they give the game.

That said, you'll always have "those" players who want "instant everything" as soon as they start a game. That's great for "P2W" style loot-box games, but not so great for games like ED.

IMO, it would be best if FD focused their efforts on multipliers that are affected by ranks for credit reward increases, rather than singular mission types.

The longer time you spend playing, the more you should earn- just like if you're more experienced in a profession, the more you expect in terms of salary.

Has nothing to do with the "size of ship" you're flying. It's about your experience.

Ranking with Pilots Federation is "supposed" to affect things like mission payouts, and at one time it did make a huge difference. I'm not sure when that sort of stopped happening, but it's somewhat obvious the lines have been pretty blurred.

I must say, this weekend, I enjoyed the game much more than I have in a long time. Not that I've been playing it that much lately... Being able to pickup the odd mission and fill my Python with some decent paying cargo without spending time at some third party site, trying to figure out what I could sell for a couple of hundred credits or re-logging/refreshing the mission board was nice. I flew into a new area and after a couple of missions I was able to use the built in trading tools to make trades of 2000-3000 credits easily. I could take a couple of missions and fill out the hold with a reasonably profitable haul. Which was way short of 100 million an hour I assure you.

But is a hundred million an hour too much? Maybe, maybe not... The one thing that I'm sure of is that the current levels of payouts makes transport missions more of a grind and they don't have any feeling of progress to them. This past weekends pricing made it feel like I was making progress. The current level of payout also means that you're going to tend to stay in one area because the mission payouts are based on your reputation while this past weekends pricing made it possible to make decent money fairly quickly and I didn't feel so tied down to one area. Which is nice in a game that boasts that it has 4000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 systems...

I really enjoy flying the ships, but when it feels like I've been playing for an hour or two in a T9 or a Python and haven't made enough to make a dent the insurance on the ship, it makes me feel like I'm spinning my wheels.

Ranking with Pilots Federation is "supposed" to affect things like mission payouts, and at one time it did make a huge difference. I'm not sure when that sort of stopped happening, but it's somewhat obvious the lines have been pretty blurred.

IMO It started when they 1) removed the rank requirements from missions and made them "optional" (as in you can choose a mission even if you don't meet the requirements) and 2) when they started mucking with the mission types b/c people were whining about payouts being too large.

Those two things combined have made a complete mess.

IMO rank requirements should be instituted- some may feel it's "too linear" and some sort of "time gating" but that's the whole point of challenge in a game, that you get spend time and gain experience, not just jump right up to an Anaconda because you personally feel you're entitled to one.

It's one of many things that have really removed the point of even playing the game to begin with. They get right up to one of the "big 3" then wonder why the "magic" is gone for them, etc. Perhaps because you missed the whole point of playing the game? It's not about the destination... it's about the journey.

That's not ED's "problem", either- it's been a prevailing attitude in many games, for many years.

Last edited:
This is my take on the topic and i bet rest of you also one or two things to say : so feel free to express yourselves!
Here is an idea.... I think everyone should be able to enjoy the game the way they want too. If someone doesnt want to earn 100mill/hr then dont do the gold rush. ENJOY the game thats the key. I really dont think that other players have a right to debate what i can and cant do. Get over it!!! I have been playing the game since early 2015. There are plenty of ways to earn credits.

Last edited:

verminstar

Banned
Entertaining as always...on topic, its a nice thought and it would be very cool to have the occasional gold rush intentionally placed as opposed to being a glitch. But, we both know the white knight brigade here wont tolerate that and they will howl their anguish at frontier until they force players to take the choice they think we should be taking...cos we are having fun wrong when we dont play the game how they believe we should be playing.

As well as being generally busy in real life, it is actually one the main reasons why I dont comment here much anymore...whats the point? Every half decent argument and suggestion gets torn to pieces...cos to be playing the game any other way that the way they wish to dictate, is quite literally playing the game wrong in their mind.

Ive spent the better part of 3 years arguing about it...now I just cant be bothered anymore cos as far as I can see, frontier couldnt care less. This whole place is just one big echo chamber and all we doing is arguing amongst ourselves. So while I agree, I have no faith in things ever changing fer the better in this respect...which is why I just do me own thing and play the game I wanna play and just wait to see how quickly frontier can ruin what little good there is left.

Ye keep trying to convince that brick wall if ye really think itll do any good...personally, I just see a funny 7 minutes and a suggestion waiting to get torn to shreds...just like all the other suggestions to put some fun back into the game...something that has been lacking since the whiner brigade somehow got frontier to listen ^

No, no, no, no, no.

Sorry.

I was kind of with you right up to the point where you tried to argue that Cr100/h is okay because young people are too busy to play ED for as long as old farts do.

Utter cobblers.
Seriously, I can't stress this enough. That is complete balls.

Go look at any thread where people are discussing what they earned from gold-rushes and you'll see that the sums are gigantic - even by ED standards.
Clearly some people - of all ages - are prepared to grind the living shizzle out of gold-rushes.

And that, in lieu of a better solution (such as regulating gold-rushes properly), is why FDev have to shut them down.

For the gazillionth time, the ideal situation (IMO) would be for the game to deliberately spawn gold-rushes which either last for an arbitrary period or last until some parameter is reached.
That'd allow people to search for them and exploit them when they need credits and it's likely to provide a reason to participate in squadron-based stuff when that appears.

Here is an idea.... I think everyone should be able to enjoy the game the way they want too. If someone doesnt want to earn 100mill/hr then dont do the gold rush. ENJOY the game thats the key. I really dont think that other players have a right to debate what i can and cant do. I have been playing the game since early 2015. Get over it!!! There are plenty of ways to earn credits.

They're known as busybodies. People who just have to have their noses shoved up everyone else backsides, even if they have other more important things they should be doing.
The sad part of that is that they usually make just enough noise to get FDev to nerf what ever it is they are screaming about.

Top Bottom