[Video] January update, was this what we ASKED?! & Fleet carrier delay...

IMHO :
The Bugfixes were really in order after the Sep 2019 "problem". It just went beyond what was reasonable and acceptable - thus truly deserved some key attention.
(even DB himself realized that things weren't going well in regard to Bugs and QA fighting them)

On Fleet Carriers :
It is my suspicion that the last major Content Update before the New Era (which I believe we can all agree draws ALOT of resources from FDev) by original concepts might have fallen short.
Just a Cockpit- and Bridge-less Object carrying your Fleet that Players could have ordered to move to a new Position off the Galaxy Map.

After seeing what folks expected Carrier Ops to be, IMHO FDev realized they needed to flesh things out and re-evaluate their original concept of Squadron and the later Fleet Carriers.
More work to do, expanding upon the existing concept.

I could easily be wrong of course, but that's how things feel like to me.

PS.
Now with the Jan 2020 Update?
I'm off exploring ;)

Really like the new FSS, so best to put it to good use and finish off some of the few remaining missing Codex Volcanism entries I think I can do in the Galaxy :)

(not needing it right now - but NPC Crew recovery option is also a big one with me.... nice ! )

Last edited:
fun fact: not until you said this did i (at least a quick glance) check the yt comments ... not bad!

i actually like yamiks. he doesn't influence me, since i don't give a crap about game opinions or all this social media crap to begin with, but also i don't have to agree with him the least to like his style. for me it's just a dude putting up a show, and he has some very good punches, both visually and verbally. some of them connect with long standing issues around this game. well, that's just so. i miss the squeaky duck sound, though. i spell doom!
Even more fun fact: I haven't even checked the comments at all. I just figured.

And I used to like his videos as well. His style is definitely funny sometimes (albeit a style that can also get a bit tiresome in the long term)
But I liked him when he was actually pointing out glaring bugs or faults with the game. The way he presented those gained him a lot of subscribers I recon, and hell, he deserved them.
But as you see with a lot of Youtubers, they then feel compelled (or are financially compelled) to keep up the same schtick. Even though there's not really that much to whine or talk about. It becomes a format. And starts to just feel kind of.. hollow, I guess.
I wish him all the success, but I can't really take his video's seriously anymore as a genuine form of comment / criticism.

Well.. I can't agree entirely. Nothing wrong with markets per se.

But in this particular case: he didn't start out by selling a product. He started out by selling entertainment in the form of funny criticism.
Now if I may apply a very simplified and amputated SWOT analisys here: the Threat to his business model is that when there's nothing to really criticize*, his audience still expects him to post funny content. If "funny criticism" is all you are used to doing, you've got a problem...

*yeah, there's still a lot to criticize, but he covered that already. Dead horses and all that. There's hardly anything new to criticize. Well, the FSS stuttering perhaps, but it's hard to make a 15 min vid solely about that.

Well.. I can't agree entirely. Nothing wrong with markets per se.

But in this particular case: he didn't start out by selling a product. He started out by selling entertainment in the form of funny criticism.
Now if I may apply a very simplified and amputated SWOT analisys here: the Threat to his business model is that when there's nothing to really criticize*, his audience still expects him to post funny content. If "funny criticism" is all you are used to doing, you've got a problem...

*yeah, there's still a lot to criticize, but he covered that already. Dead horses and all that. There's hardly anything new to criticize. Well, the FSS stuttering perhaps, but it's hard to make a 15 min vid solely about that.
The problem is there doesn't need to be a problem for people like the OP to complain. If there isn't a specific problem, he will just invent one. It is pretty easy, all he has to say is 'as others have pointed out numerous times, XX causes YY and that is definitely the fault of FD who are totally incompetent'. Influencers like the OP don't need proof, they don't need reality, all they need is reaction and conflict.

If the 'social media' channels were not monetised maybe the content produced would be heavier on fact and lighter on drama.

Top marks for bringing in any kind of income from posting content - smart move - may he prosper from it, I couldn't do it :)

You can't go around doing sensible research before buying video games any more, you are supposed to buy entirely at random then loudly demand its changed to fit your misconceptions.
Sensible research based on what exactly, on what Frontier say, on what people here on the forums tell you, what mods here say and community streamers?

Where else would you go for "sensible research"?

Even more fun fact: I haven't even checked the comments at all. I just figured.

And I used to like his videos as well. His style is definitely funny sometimes (albeit a style that can also get a bit tiresome in the long term)
But I liked him when he was actually pointing out glaring bugs or faults with the game. The way he presented those gained him a lot of subscribers I recon, and hell, he deserved them.
But as you see with a lot of Youtubers, they then feel compelled (or are financially compelled) to keep up the same schtick. Even though there's not really that much to whine or talk about. It becomes a format. And starts to just feel kind of.. hollow, I guess.
I wish him all the success, but I can't really take his video's seriously anymore as a genuine form of comment / criticism.
Youtube gamer videos are like most other social media - they find popularity at the margins, so most tend to gravitate to being either ultra-earnest superfans, or embittered cynical moaners. Even if they don't start out that way, that's where they end up because they work out that you get more views as either of those than you do as a fairly balanced individual just playing games. Hardly a shock - after all I'm a fairly balanced individual just playing games and I've never fooled myself that anybody would be interested in watching me do that 😁

Youtube gamer videos are like most other social media - they find popularity at the margins, so most tend to gravitate to being either ultra-earnest superfans, or embittered cynical moaners. Even if they don't start out that way, that's where they end up because they work out that you get more views as either of those than you do as a fairly balanced individual just playing games. Hardly a shock - after all I'm a fairly balanced individual just playing games and I've never fooled myself that anybody would be interested in watching me do that 😁
Well there is one (1) Youtuber that I will still watch and it isn't the OP lol Nope it is 'The Pilot' simply because his clips are not whining incessantly about FD, not trying to appease the crowd with the latest 'I Hate FD Because' mantra, his videos are about the ships and what he likes and doesn't like about them. He lets his audience form it's own opinion, he isn't telling them what they must think.

Well there is one (1) Youtuber that I will still watch and it isn't the OP lol Nope it is 'The Pilot' simply because his clips are not whining incessantly about FD, not trying to appease the crowd with the latest 'I Hate FD Because' mantra, his videos are about the ships and what he likes and doesn't like about them. He lets his audience form it's own opinion, he isn't telling them what they must think.
I'm not a huge watcher of gaming videos in general but I agree his are decent, mainly because he's not trying to do general praise or criticism to begin with - as you say, he has a niche and he's obviously happy in it.

As someone who didn't ask anyone to speak for me.....I wanted new content and bug-fixes.

Call me greedy or unrealistic, but other games seem capable of providing this, more regularly than Elite Dangerous.

With this game its either:

Bug fixing and no new content for 18 months (and no new Interstellar Initiatives because for some reason, bug fixes prevents the writers from creating new stories for new II's!!)

OR

New content and no bug fixes.

I look at other games, look back at this game, Frontier's flagship IP, and I wonder:
Source: https://media.giphy.com/media/3o85xIO33l7RlmLR4I/giphy.gif

As someone who didn't ask anyone to speak for me.....I wanted new content and bug-fixes.

Call me greedy or unrealistic, but other games seem capable of providing this, more regularly than Elite Dangerous.

Bug fixing and no new content for 18 months (and no new Interstellar Initiatives because for some reason, bug fixes prevents the writers from creating new stories for new II's!!)

OR

I look at other games, look back at this game, Frontier's flagship IP, and I wonder:
I too have enjoyed the new content, features and bug fixes we've gained these past 18 months. More to come too 😁

Lol exactly. Lot of people are mentioning that the supporters of the open letter wanted the bugs fixed before any new content. Except, there is nothing in the OL that states that.
It was FDEVs decision to delay new content. And they gladly used the open letter as a scapegoat.
Very likely they were already behind schedule (thus no livestream demo or more updated info about DC), and then the September disaster hit, requiring them to spend one and a half month fixing a broken game, which delayed FCs even further.
September update disaster? What are you talking about? Purchasing ARX worked right out of the gate!

Oh... you must be talking about all that other stuff having to do with being able to play the game... well who cares about that.... ARX!!!!

September update disaster? What are you talking about? Purchasing ARX worked right out of the gate!

Oh... you must be talking about all that other stuff having to do with being able to play the game... well who cares about that.... ARX!!!!
FrontierPoints/ARX happened 4.5yr ago, do keep up ;)

First impression after a bit of exploring: The stutter on system entry is brutal, but harmless (gathered it will be fixed tomorrow anyway).
POIs, both Geo and Bio are instantly now! How comes, what did I miss here? What a surprise...
Arx is given on the fly (pretty small though, but not enough samples for telling more for now), no data selling required. I didn't explore since ARX introduction, so no idea if that's a new thing or not.
Mission board was superfast last time I checked before I went out to explore. Awesome.

To some of you guys here: you are awesome, too! Must be your very first patchday, eh? All noobs here or what :alien:

I too have enjoyed the new content, features and bug fixes we've gained these past 18 months. More to come too 😁

OR

TheSisko, you are not greedy or unrealistic. Most of Development company do those at same time. I think who criticise you is blinded, and is ruining ED slowly.

this is what they do:

publish beta
gather feedback
close beta
release patch mixed with last minute added changes

and that's a recipe for disaster. what they should be doing:

1. open beta
gather feedback
fix some stuff and goto 1, or at some reasonable point, break
release beta, exactly beta

this is really elementary, very basic sw engineering methodology. if you don't get this all your master degree aren't worth squat. id doesn't really have any excuse. it has no doubt many explanations.
Not so sure. I'm pretty sure they did releases straight off the back of betas with no extra changes, which would point the finger at issues with their build process. However, pure speculation on my part that.

Top Bottom