[Video] January update, was this what we ASKED?! & Fleet carrier delay...

Youtube gamer videos are like most other social media - they find popularity at the margins, so most tend to gravitate to being either ultra-earnest superfans, or embittered cynical moaners. Even if they don't start out that way, that's where they end up because they work out that you get more views as either of those than you do as a fairly balanced individual just playing games. Hardly a shock - after all I'm a fairly balanced individual just playing games and I've never fooled myself that anybody would be interested in watching me do that 😁
Well there is one (1) Youtuber that I will still watch and it isn't the OP lol Nope it is 'The Pilot' simply because his clips are not whining incessantly about FD, not trying to appease the crowd with the latest 'I Hate FD Because' mantra, his videos are about the ships and what he likes and doesn't like about them. He lets his audience form it's own opinion, he isn't telling them what they must think.

Well there is one (1) Youtuber that I will still watch and it isn't the OP lol Nope it is 'The Pilot' simply because his clips are not whining incessantly about FD, not trying to appease the crowd with the latest 'I Hate FD Because' mantra, his videos are about the ships and what he likes and doesn't like about them. He lets his audience form it's own opinion, he isn't telling them what they must think.

I'm not a huge watcher of gaming videos in general but I agree his are decent, mainly because he's not trying to do general praise or criticism to begin with - as you say, he has a niche and he's obviously happy in it.

As someone who didn't ask anyone to speak for me.....I wanted new content and bug-fixes.

Call me greedy or unrealistic, but other games seem capable of providing this, more regularly than Elite Dangerous.

With this game its either:

Bug fixing and no new content for 18 months (and no new Interstellar Initiatives because for some reason, bug fixes prevents the writers from creating new stories for new II's!!)

OR

New content and no bug fixes.

I look at other games, look back at this game, Frontier's flagship IP, and I wonder:
Source: https://media.giphy.com/media/3o85xIO33l7RlmLR4I/giphy.gif

As someone who didn't ask anyone to speak for me.....I wanted new content and bug-fixes.

Call me greedy or unrealistic, but other games seem capable of providing this, more regularly than Elite Dangerous.

Bug fixing and no new content for 18 months (and no new Interstellar Initiatives because for some reason, bug fixes prevents the writers from creating new stories for new II's!!)

OR

I look at other games, look back at this game, Frontier's flagship IP, and I wonder:
I too have enjoyed the new content, features and bug fixes we've gained these past 18 months. More to come too 😁

Lol exactly. Lot of people are mentioning that the supporters of the open letter wanted the bugs fixed before any new content. Except, there is nothing in the OL that states that.
It was FDEVs decision to delay new content. And they gladly used the open letter as a scapegoat.
Very likely they were already behind schedule (thus no livestream demo or more updated info about DC), and then the September disaster hit, requiring them to spend one and a half month fixing a broken game, which delayed FCs even further.

September update disaster? What are you talking about? Purchasing ARX worked right out of the gate!

Oh... you must be talking about all that other stuff having to do with being able to play the game... well who cares about that.... ARX!!!!

September update disaster? What are you talking about? Purchasing ARX worked right out of the gate!

Oh... you must be talking about all that other stuff having to do with being able to play the game... well who cares about that.... ARX!!!!
FrontierPoints/ARX happened 4.5yr ago, do keep up ;)

I too have enjoyed the new content, features and bug fixes we've gained these past 18 months. More to come too 😁

OR

TheSisko, you are not greedy or unrealistic. Most of Development company do those at same time. I think who criticise you is blinded, and is ruining ED slowly.

this is what they do:

publish beta
gather feedback
close beta
release patch mixed with last minute added changes

and that's a recipe for disaster. what they should be doing:

1. open beta
gather feedback
fix some stuff and goto 1, or at some reasonable point, break
release beta, exactly beta

this is really elementary, very basic sw engineering methodology. if you don't get this all your master degree aren't worth squat. id doesn't really have any excuse. it has no doubt many explanations.

Not so sure. I'm pretty sure they did releases straight off the back of betas with no extra changes, which would point the finger at issues with their build process. However, pure speculation on my part that.

It wasn't forgotten about by the Community Requests letter writers:
"All releases both major and minor should have an open beta period of sufficient length (2 weeks minimum) to identify and correct all bugs introduced by the patch prior to going live. We understand hot fixes and other micro releases may not warrant a beta period."

I think you're missing my point. My point was betas happening and new bugs appearing regardless despite the betas.

I believe that open discourse is necessary, as you will note my frequent participation on these Forums. What we don;t need is unrealistic demands interfering with the development of this, or any game. That mob-like outburst was destined to wreak havoc on the time line for the game's development. Now, we all have to suffer that together. Just like when FD let us vote on Ship Transfers, disaster.

If we can't learn to keep our hands out of the cookie jar, we're just going to have to live with what biscuit we pull out.

who puts biscuits in a cookie jar?

After wading through all 14 pages of this, there were two things I wanted to comment on:

1. I have seen a few of Yamiks YouTube videos (including the one linked in the original post here) and IMO he doesn't come off as cheeky, funny, or witty; he comes off spiteful, critical for the sake of it, and disingenuous. Frontier deserve constructive criticism like any game developer, but there's a mature and--most importantly-- productive way of delivering that message. I think he fails to do that and is just interested in getting views / likes. I assume he likes Elite Dangerous to some degree, but I guess I don't understand people who seem to be insulting towards a game they like instead of trying to offer sincere criticism / commentary. But, ya know, free speech and all. Good for him if he has an audience. But that's the last vid I watch :LOL:

2. I think people are forgetting that ALL games have bugs, but not all games are alike (duh!). Elite Dangerous is a MASSIVE, epic game. There are so many different layers and components to the game on such a grand scale, with interconnecting pieces, etc. I think it should definitely be held to a high standard, but it'd be unrealistic to hold Elite Dangerous to the same standards and expectations as you would a game that has a much smaller scale, less fewer pieces. I think there just needs to be some acceptance that bugs are an inherent issue with updating a game this large. The best thing to do is be a strong community that can report on the bugs asap so they can be fixed asap. Just my two cents.

Who'd have thought a dev' could get away with forcing customers to choose between new content and fixing bugs?

Especially after a year of minimal updates which, allegedly, allowed them to "consolidate core gameplay and fix bugs" in order to get the game ready for major new content.

This patch is utter trash. I have a high end PC and never before have I EVER had issues with stuttering. Patch my game today and start playing - stuttering all over the place especially when jumping into system. This game is becoming more and more of nightmare as time goes on unfortunately which is a real shame. The whole idea of this patch was to FIX bugs not create a ton of others..............

Sensible research based on what exactly, on what Frontier say, on what people here on the forums tell you, what mods here say and community streamers?

Where else would you go for "sensible research"?

Watch a gameplay video with the commentary turned off or try a demo, that way you can judge the game against your own subjective video gaming preferences.

In ED's case I did both.

Deleted member 38366

D

Source: https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1189637919797104640

1579069459091.png

(the mentioned Text passage though isn't paraphrased or quoted, coming to think of it - so DB himself didn't actually say it, but the Interviewer instead? At least that's how I see it, re-reading the passage)

This patch is utter trash. I have a high end PC and never before have I EVER had issues with stuttering. Patch my game today and start playing - stuttering all over the place especially when jumping into system. This game is becoming more and more of nightmare as time goes on unfortunately which is a real shame. The whole idea of this patch was to FIX bugs not create a ton of others..............

And here I was wondering if it's just me.

This patch is perfectly fine. I have a low end PC so I'm used to a few stutters here and there. This recent stutter could be due to the influx of players logging on to see what's new. As with all previous patches, I think it will go away as the non-hardcore players get bored and go away as well.
I couldn't care less about fleet carriers and space legs so I'm happy things are getting fixed instead.
X.

This patch is perfectly fine. I have a low end PC so I'm used to a few stutters here and there. This recent stutter could be due to the influx of players logging on to see what's new. As with all previous patches, I think it will go away as the non-hardcore players get bored and go away as well.
I couldn't care less about fleet carriers and space legs so I'm happy things are getting fixed instead.
X.
Frontier have already acknowledged that it's an issue on their side and a fix is incoming. So no, the patch isn't perfectly fine.

Top Bottom