[Video] Leaked Thargoid models

Mouth != expression. The mouth of the Alien expresses nothing. It is simply a mouth. It has no eyes, or eyebows. It's mouth can't display disgust or anger or anything, because it has zero emotions. It is utterly alien to humans, and its actions are what makes it terrifying. You're massively over exaggerating what it can display.

The most popular aliens are so because they're interesting stories/design going into pop culture. Your xenomorph is one of the top aliens ever. Doesn't display jack with its face. Still scares people.

A mouth can express many different things. See character design for games, movies and cinematography.

As for the Blob, it isn't just about its design, but what it instils, which is fear, and it does so without any expression or humanoid features at all, because of its actions. You keep ignoring the fact that fear and terror can come from actions, from what is utterly alien to us. Something doesn't need a face.

The point is a blob doesn't instill much fear due to it being so plainly designed and so limited with expressions. Action can instill fear. An alien who does such actions AND has interesting expressions is more intriguing, entertaining, sophisticated as a character.

They don't. By definition within the hive mind the zerg display zero emotions. Just because it has a face doesn't mean it's actually expressing anything. They don't display fear or anger, simply the same expression constantly, and again it's because of the fact they can kill you in horrible ways that makes them scary, nor that they have eyes (which display no emotion) or mouths (which display no emotion). The Overmind is simply a looped animation portrait that doesn't react to anything. It isn't displaying anything.

They do if you check their character portraits and cinematics. Their faces have multiple expressions and limited emotions, because their mouths and eyes change shape.

Your claim of not nearly as terrifying is utterly subjective as different people get scared by different things. A living blob is still going to kill you, and it's going to be painful. Doesn't need a face to make that scary which is my point all along. I notice that you ignored the Mike Myers and Jason point, two people in horror that scary people without expressing anything at all.

Everyone has opinions, but the most popular aliens are not faceless, emotionless blobs. The biggest alien stars such as the Xenomorph are successful because their body movements and expressions, even if they only have mouths, fit a plethora of cinematic moments.

I get it, you don't like the design, but that's utterly different than saying that something can't be scary without a face. It can.

Sure a faceless blob can be scary and somewhat interesting. However, it's still a lot less entertaining to watch or interact with than a sophisticated alien with facial expressions.

Last edited:
A mouth can express many different things. See character design for games, movies and cinematography.

The point is a blob doesn't instill much fear due to it being so plainly designed and so limited with expressions. Action can instill fear. An alien who does such actions AND has interesting expressions is more intriguing, entertaining, sophisticated as a character.

They do if you check their character portraits and cinematics. Their faces have multiple expressions and limited emotions, because their mouths and eyes change shape.

Everyone has opinions, but the most popular aliens are not faceless, emotionless blobs. The biggest alien stars such as the Xenomorph are successful because their body movements and expressions, even if they only have mouths, fit a plethora of cinematic moments.

Sure a faceless blob can be scary and somewhat interesting. However, it's still a lot less entertaining to watch or interact with than a sophisticated alien with facial expressions.
A mouth CAN. A xenomorph mouth can't, nor does it need to because again it's what it does to humans that instils fear. Its mouth doesn't turn sad, or laugh, or open in surprise. Its mouth expresses nothing. They're still scary though.

The Blob does instil fear. That's its whole point, and it does so because of what it does, not necessarily because of what it looks like.

They don't. I've played SC and SC2 plenty of times. Their portraits are just looped animations that display nothing. They don't have emotions. Their faces are expressionless.

I see you bring up body movements, which has nothing to do with looking humanoid or anything to do with having a face. Again, the xenomorph is probably the most popular alien ever. Doesn't display any expression at all. It's mouth cannot display any emotion or expression. It can't laugh, display shock. It's used to kill and that's it.

More opinion and nothing objective about it.

A mouth CAN. A xenomorph mouth can't, nor does it need to because again it's what it does to humans that instils fear. Its mouth doesn't turn sad, or laugh, or open in surprise. Its mouth expresses nothing. They're still scary though.

A Xenomorph mouth has multiple states and thus various expressions. It's not static. They're not so distinguishable as a human mouth though. The mouth itself with its big teeth also instills fear. Fear is not only actions, it's also conveyed by something that looks scary or dangerous.

The Blob does instil fear. That's its whole point, and it does so because of what it does, not necessarily because of what it looks like.

The whole point is blobs are boring, forgettable and do not instill much fear due to a lack of sophisticated features such as facial expressions.

They don't. I've played SC and SC2 plenty of times. Their portraits are just looped animations that display nothing. They don't have emotions. Their faces are expressionless.

They do, I've posted links to the profile videos of the Zerg. If you can't see different expressions in their faces, then it's pointless to discuss it with you. A face that changes shape, be it eyes, mouth, eyebrows based on a certain context is a form of emotional expression.

TI see you bring up body movements, which has nothing to do with looking humanoid or anything to do with having a face.

Body movements are a part of a living creature expressing itself.

Again, the xenomorph is probably the most popular alien ever. Doesn't display any expression at all. It's mouth cannot display any emotion or expression. It can't laugh, display shock. It's used to kill and that's it.

Again the Xenomorph the way it moves and the way the mouth changes depending on the situational context. It's mouth can and does express certain things. Again its pointless to discuss if you can't distinguish it.

You also don't think about aliens from an alien perspective that they have more subtle and different expressions to humans.

Here's an image of different emotions based on mouth shape and other face parts.

Mapping the emotional face. How individual face parts contribute to successful emotion recognition

preview.jpg

Last edited:
I wasn't going to spend any more time on this subject, but here goes anyway.
Design of any character, vehicle or even object must follow the theme set by the story of that character.

XENOMORPH (from the "Alien" films)
To quote the android Ash from the first movie;
"I admire its purity. A survivor. Unclouded by conscience, remorse or delusions of morality."

Eyes convey deeper emotion whether it's good or evil - but since the whole Xenomorph concept revolves around being beyond those things, the eyes are irrelevant to the character design and storytelling.

The Xenmorph mouth is not there to convey emotions in the Xenomorph. The mouth design has no muscles that can make it smile or look hungry.
It's there purely for the audience to represent our most primal fear - being bitten and eaten by a predator. It even doubles down on this by literally having a double mouth.

If the alien killed people in other ways than biting (like claws), then the mouth would also have been irrelevant to the design.

HEPTAPODS (from the "Arrival" film)
The story premise is that we humans, like with the Thargoids, don't understand anything about the aliens AT ALL. The aliens have no eyes, nose or mouth. They don't speak in language that we can pronounce. To keep it short for those haven't seen the movie: They eventually communicate through writing https://youtu.be/AZ4oGBgxiuY?t=14

Again, the alien design serves the story. We don't understand them because we have no frame of reference - no eyes to look into, no mouth to see if they are grimacing.

I'll have to stop myself before I go on with too many. I had written titles for half a dozen more.​

---------

As for the Thargoid design - it ultimately comes down what the storyteller (Frontier) has planned with them in the long run.
All we've seen so far is a potential preproduction model. We don't know how far in production the model is. Is the mesh even finished? Has the modeler done any basic rigging? etc.

I do love the details on the feet. They are indeed more insect-like rather the more common crab-like features that we often see. (Crab feet are sharp spikes)

Last edited:
After seeing these I really hope they don't change the design (if that's what they were going to use) because of the leak. I like it.

Also, I now understand, after seeing their faces, that the humans are like a continuation of Sauron for them. The Guardians likely committed atrocities against them, brought them close to extinction and were defeated by some heroic miracle. They thought they had made the worlds safe for their kids. Now here we are digging up murder machines that we have no claim to nor the wisdom to understand.

I guarantee we fired the first shot. This is all a lie!

I wasn't going to spend any more time on this subject, but here goes anyway.
Design of any character, vehicle or even object must follow the theme set by the story of that character.

Yes a character has to fit a certain role in a story or situation.

XENOMORPH (from the "Alien" films)
To quote the android Ash from the first movie;
"I admire its purity. A survivor. Unclouded by conscience, remorse or delusions of morality."

Eyes convey deeper emotion whether it's good or evil - but since the whole Xenomorph concept revolves around being beyond those things, the eyes are irrelevant to the character design and storytelling.

The Xenmorph mouth is not there to convey emotions in the Xenomorph. The mouth design has no muscles that can make it smile or look hungry.
It's there purely for the audience to represent our most primal fear - being bitten and eaten by a predator. It even doubles down on this by literally having a double mouth.

If the alien killed people in other ways than biting (like claws), then the mouth would also have been irrelevant to the design.​

Yes the Xenomorph was designed convey little emotion. They do scream and shriek when hurt. However, fear is an emotion and that is what the Xenomorph instills with it creepy design, sharp claws, big jaw and teeth.

As for the Thargoid design - it ultimately comes down what the storyteller (Frontier) has planned with them in the long run.
All we've seen so far is a potential preproduction model. We don't know how far in production the model is. Is the mesh even finished? Has the modeler done any basic rigging? etc.

I do love the details on the feet. They are indeed more insect-like rather the more common crab-like features that we often see. (Crab feet are sharp spikes)

Yes I think Frontier should make the Thargoids more sophisticated so that they're more interesting than soulless husks. They need some alien facial features to express themselves in a multitude of ways.​

Last edited:
Yes the Xenomorph was designed convey little emotion. They do scream and shriek when hurt. However, fear is an emotion and that is what the Xenomorph instills with it creepy design, sharp claws, big jaw and teeth.
Edit: Removed my post. You're not going to agree.

Last edited:
Edit: Removed my post. You're not going to agree.

Of course he won't. In his mind he basically needs the mass effect aliens so he can try to bed them. Some humanoid aliens are fine but if you want something truly alien then we need to not be able to understand it.

Also if thargoids are from ammonia worlds then that's even better as they aren't a water using carbon-based lifeform which indeed fits the build as truly alien.

Not everything alien needs to be understood

I dont understand why people want space legs so badly. Theres not much to do in your ship, what exactly are you going to walk around and do?

I'd rather they spend the resources actually voicing and animating the mission board, livening up the comms chatter and mission instances or something.

I dont understand why people want space legs so badly. Theres not much to do in your ship, what exactly are you going to walk around and do?

I'd rather they spend the resources actually voicing and animating the mission board, livening up the comms chatter and mission instances or something.

While interesting and others feel its un-needed, we could get some form of potential FPS action... Thargoids could teleport on our ship or something and we have to fight them off or lose our ship. Or we could go into the old INRA bases or some Guardian structure and investigate on foot where we can't reach with SRV.

I am kinda of the same opinion about the oul legs.. but then I think of the times I would love to get out of the chair, go walkabouts and check the ship over.. or land on a planet and play football...

Aye, and perhaps make some people walk around / do things behind all those glass windows...

Walking around on space stations etc isn't a priority for me, but I don't mind FD spending more time fooling me into believing that there's life outside of my ship.

Top Bottom