[Video] The SRV is great fun if you drive it like you stole it.

I've watched a lot of videos that complain about material gathering being a grind. I don't agree. Thrash that SRV until the wheels come off and material gathering becomes great fun.

[video=youtube_share;Sha6LKAW9c8]https://youtu.be/Sha6LKAW9c8[/video]

Good advice and fun, pretty much how I approach the SRV. A couple of things I've found. The first is that if you're looking for downed satellites and nav beacons, these seem to spawn if you're driving along in a relatively straight line and seem to spawn regularly if you're running at high speed for a bit. If you circle around a lot, they don't seem to spawn. The other thing I've noticed is that sometimes if you stop to recall the ship, check out a POI work or just take a short break to answer the phone/call of nature rocks and POI's will suddenly appear on the scanner in a place that was blank.

I intersperse my high speed antics with some low speed circling if I'm looking for metallic meteorites. I'll cruise at high speeds and then slow down and check an area out, often finding rocks that weren't visible in the high speed run for some reason.

Some other fun is to jump over a POI and try to land on a skimmer...

EDIT: another tip is to look side to side when up in the air, you often can see rocks and meteorites quite a ways off.

Last edited:
Glad you enjoyed it. I don't understand why there aren't videos like this already. Mini and MassiveD probably came closest with base run tutorials. Maybe it's because people just aren't that interested in the SRV. Their loss I guess - it's a great little toy.

Glad you enjoyed it. I don't understand why there aren't videos like this already. Mini and MassiveD probably came closest with base run tutorials. Maybe it's because people just aren't that interested in the SRV. Their loss I guess - it's a great little toy.

Love the SRV & love your vids WiggyB. Glad to see the SRV getting the love it deserves. It's awesome Frontier gave us a vehicle that takes some skill & persistence to master, and rewards for doing so - just like the Ships.

For those that gave up on the SRV's, you should give them another try - not publicised I think, but I have noticed since v3.0 small & medium rocks don't ruin your day like they used to. It's much more forgiving now if you are inclined to keep 4 wheels on the ground. Thrashing more fun though. :)

Great video!
And I agree, SRV-driving can be very fun! :)

Some of my own thoughts:

1) I always try to find a planet that is close to the sun (the bigger the sun, the more impressive the ride). This gigantic ball of fire hanging over me just transports the feeling of being on a alien world like nothing else.

2) If possible, I prefer worlds with closeby moons or "sister planets". For the same reason as above, a large ball hangigng over me just awakes the SciFi feeling in me. I also tend to drive towards the planet or sun (see 1), just to have it always in my vision.

3) I try to land and drive near the terminator. The shadow contrasts make the visuals so much more interesting.

4) While driving towards the sun (see 1) has the advantage of it beeing visible all the time, driving away from it has merits, too. I just love to see my long shadow in front of me (see 3), giving me a great sense of presence and hight while jumping. Unfortunately, 2 and 4 are mutual exclusive for obvious reasons.

One thing WiggyB mentions in his video is difficult for me, though:
I play in VR.
This is completely awesome especially on planet surfaces!
Standing on the top of a large mountain ridge, letting my view sweep over the wide valleys beneath me was one of the bests moments in ED ... ever!
Unfortunately, driving through very bumpy terrain is a guarantee to make me motion sick. I can do it, but just not for long.

This is why I would love to see another SRV type introduced in ED: A skimmer based "hoover bike". I am sure, there can be an interesting flight/hoovering model even without embracing every bump and ditch. Maybe a movement with lots of drifting, maybe turns innitiated by rolling and not by steering left and right.

Last edited:

verminstar

Banned
Good video but what happened to the land speed record attempt? Best advice I try and follow...dont drink and drive, smoke and fly ^

SRV.... not a fan

I'd rather have something more... ummm...futuristic, like maybe a hover tank or something.

I pretty much always do, which is why I spend half my time bouncing and rolling to my destination.

SRV.... not a fan

I'd rather have something more... ummm...futuristic, like maybe a hover tank or something.

Yeah, all the enemies hover, but for some reason we have to roll around on wheels like some kind of savage.

This is why I would love to see another SRV type introduced in ED: A skimmer based "hoover bike". I am sure, there can be an interesting flight/hoovering model even without embracing every bump and ditch. Maybe a movement with lots of drifting, maybe turns innitiated by rolling and not by steering left and right.

This sounds like great fun to me. Managing the throttle for height and direction... go on FDEV.

Top Bottom