[Video] Top5 best ships REDUX

Always an enjoyable break, any video by Yamiks!

My top 5. Hmmm.

#1 Python - does everything well and can land on outposts.
#2 Anaconda - feels like a b-i-g ship in flight.
#3 Type-6 - my nomination for best value-for-money ship for all purposes other than combat.
#4 DbX - great jump range, my go-to ship for exploration.
#5 Viper IV - just to annoy Yamiks (and honestly, I think it's a good ship)

Honourable mentions:
Eagle - just a delight to fly
Cobra III - 'coz
DbS - another delightful ship to fly, nimble with great weapon placement

Last edited:
Any toplist without an Orca in it highly suspect.

What makes the Orca so great?

First, it's made by Saud Kruger.
Second - 2 Medium, 1 Large Hardpoint with good convergence.
Third - It maneuvers like a ship half its size.
Fourth - It is amazingly versatile, capable of doing any job, from data couriering to bounty hunting, mining to exploration. You just have to be a little clever to outfit it.
Fifth - Best boost sound, and great top speed.
Sixth - It can fix a luxury cabin.
Seventh - While more expensive than some ships, the overall outfitting is not as painful as other Large ships, and has a reasonable rebuy if things go south.

If that's not reasons enough, you've never flown one.

1. Python - it's the travel plug of ships, fits all sockets.
2. Federal Corvette - to annoy Anaconda owners.
3. Asp Explorer - like a Python but smaller, best ship to travel in.
4. Cobra Mk III - Swiss army knife.
5. Federal Assault Ship - fast Tanky McTankface.

As always great YouTube once again Yamiks.. And thank you for the Coffee all over my monitor. Bloopers at the end, first one.... OMG really!! LMFAO

1. FdL - undisputed best fighter
2. Cutter - my favorite battleship
3. Dolphin - or any Saud Kruger, because they fly like a dream. I just use the Dolphin more for short explo trips
4. Python - best mission ship, including, ironically, passengers
5. DBX - favorite longer range explo ship

Honorable mention: Gunship. 7 hardpoints and a fighterbay.

Objectively, the Conda is good to great at everything. I just don't really enjoy it much to fly. Mine often sees use, but don't really care for it.

1. Python - whatever you want to do, you can do it in a Python. If I could only own one ship, the only other one I would even consider is...
2. Federal Corvette - downside = no medium pads. Upside = literally everything else.
3. Asp Explorer - what, you think I'm going to take pictures of a Type-7 in front of things?
4. Orca - brilliant tourer, capable explorer and nothing beats it for style.
5. Imperial Courier - it's just so much fun.

Anaconda would have got on for usefulness but I probably spend more than half my game time in supercruise, so nope.

Gotta say I hate the Anaconda. Mostly because it goes against the rules Frontier explicility stated in the past they wanted to avoid of "best ship syndrome" or something along those lines.

Need a godly combat ship? Anaconda
Need a godly trade ship? Anaconda
Need a godly passenger ship? Anaconda
Need a godly exploration ship with bar none the best jump range in the game despite other ships which are meant to be exploration / tourism focused exist now? Anaconda
Need to smuggle something? Anaconda

It's just too good for too much and it really defeats other ships existing. Orca and Beluga especially should be rivaling or exceeding it's jump range but they don't. Diamondback explorer somehow now beats ASP Explorer which baffles me. But no matter what, Anaconda dominates it all. In terms of Combat the Corvette is "meant" to have the most firepower / dps what with boasting two HUGE hardpoints, but it should either have it's Mediums upgraded to large or better, those two abysmal Small hardpoints upgraded to Mediums. There's really no reason a ship of that size should have small hardpoints but it does. Cutter also while being best of the best trader just edging out the Conda also boasts and can rival the Corvette (albeit with gimbals / turrets) in terms of firepower while having better jump range... but again, Conda humiliates both of them to an extent.

The Anaconda is just way to good. Multipurpose ships like ASP, Python, and Conda are supposed to be "okay" at everything but not the bar none best, yet Conda is bar none best in way too many categories. Jack-of-all-trades / Master-of-none doesn't apply to the Conda for some reason. At least in Medium ships FDL beats Python for combat, Python is beaten in exploration by Orca and ASP, and mostly there is balance in the Mediums (aside from some of the Type# ships). And in small ships there's a lot of varience too based on if you need a racer for speed, combat, etc. But enter the Large ship territory and Conda just slaps everyone aside.

Honestly I wanna see the Conda fall or get nerfed into certain roles only or just made to not be as potent on everything. Just so it stops ending up on lists like these (granted Yamiks vids are great + squeaky noise fun). Honestly I want to sink my money into a Beluga for Screenshot beauty and gorgeous cockpit view space (sorta), but between garbage jump range for it's intended role and mega awful heat issues and limited internals (cant fit good scoop + fighter bay + srv hanger + good shields for planet landings if i remember correctly) makes me want to avoid it... but hey, i could easily do that and more with a damn Anaconda with it's fat belly...while retaining firepower...

Last edited:
#1 Imperial Cutter - Can pack about everything I'd ever need in any situation all at the same time. Offers crazy amount of protection and ample firepower on top of that stunning Gutamaya design. Owning, having had fully engineered and had intensively flown all big three ships, the Cutter easily wins my personal top choice.

#2 Imperial Clipper - My 'Space Ferrari' - has sleek design, flies crazy fast and also turns crazy quick. Even has the downsides of sports cars too - fragile(paper thin shields), has bad fuel economy(can't jump far) and you don't want to park 'em on the sidewalks(can't land on outposts).

#3 Python - Jack of all trades but generally bad for combat. Would like to fly this one more often but measly 4 utility slots pretty much deters me from flying it

It's just too good for too much and it really defeats other ships existing. Orca and Beluga especially should be rivaling or exceeding it's jump range but they don't. Diamondback explorer somehow now beats ASP Explorer which baffles me. But no matter what, Anaconda dominates it all. In terms of Combat the Corvette is "meant" to have the most firepower / dps what with boasting two HUGE hardpoints, but it should either have it's Mediums upgraded to large or better, those two abysmal Small hardpoints upgraded to Mediums. There's really no reason a ship of that size should have small hardpoints but it does. Cutter also while being best of the best trader just edging out the Conda also boasts and can rival the Corvette (albeit with gimbals / turrets) in terms of firepower while having better jump range... but again, Conda humiliates both of them to an extent.

Cutter beats Anaconda in trading, Corvette beats Anaconda in combat. Anaconda beats the two in exploration, so I think I'm pretty comfortable with where the big three ships land in terms of balance between the three gameplay pillars of Elite.

Also - In terms of pure combat, despite the two small hardpoints you point out, Corvette still wins as a pure DPS ship over Anaconda, with the two iconic huge slots hulking over its head. If you slap two G5 efficient beams on it it essentially becomes a space lightsaber which can cut through anything else like a damn slab of butter.

Honestly if we gave the Corvette two mediums (let alone large) instead of the two small hardpoints it currently has, it will become so OP to the extent of defying the purpose of every other combat ships existence at all.

Last edited:
Hard not to put the Python at no. 1. So my top 5, minus Latvian swearing:

1) Python
2) Type-6 (tourist passenger mode)
3) Cobra Mk III
4) FAS
5) Keelback (Mining to start with)

I know a few agree, but the Type-6 is a vastly under-rated scout/explorer/tourist ship. Mine is currently on the way back from a 13KLY tourist location to pay for the Python.

Never flown anything above a Python, never seen a need! The above list is what my fleet will be around the 500MCr mark, should cover all roles. I think it is hard to rank ships. When I was worth 5MCr the Cobra Mk III was absolutely the best thing since sliced bread, and the VIper III wasa the only fighter of choice up until 20MCr (switched to Viper IV). The net worth of player (progression), and also other ships owns actually define how useful and therefore "best-ness" of a ship, as buynig a new ship is about fulfillling a role.

Only when you are a multi-millionaire can you "objectively" review ships, but at that point you have proabably forgotten just how important the Adder and Cobra were in the early days/weeks.

Simon

Whilst I wouldn't want to be without an FdL for combat, and a Python for everything else, I am an explorer before any other concerns so the rest of my top 5 has to be explorers.

But not the obvious three. I've been flying some different ships into the black in the last few months, each brings it's own unique enjoyment and challenges. The challenge of using non-optimal explorers has helped to keep exploration fresh, and adds to any feeling of achievement.

So, in no particular order:

1) Python - best all rounder, essential for when you need to grind missions, mining etc and still defend yourself.

2) Fer de Lance - If you have to fight, an over-powered killing machine will at least make it quick and painless (for you at least).

3) Sidewinder - Yes, that ship you dump as soon as you can afford anything else is a perfectly good explorer if you don't want to take the kitchen sink with you on a speed run. Keep it in economical, and watch your fuel when scanning an expansive system and it's fine and dandy. It is a slow-boat, use for those trips where you're aiming to scan as much as possible. Cheap as chips, until you buy an ADS.

4) Dolphin - Good jump range, rarely overheats, handles well, lands well with tall legs and no parts hanging down to obstruct getting your srv in and out. It looks good too, and is one of the cheaper options for exploration. No surprise it's good for deep space passenger missions, with a size 5 passenger restricted slot for your cabin, and nimble enough to avoid being scanned in and out of the stations.

5) Type 10 Defender - Higher jump range than could have been reasonably expected, enormous fuel scoop (if you use the size 8 slot, and what else would you use for, out in the black?) magisterial handling, and cockpit view to die for. Yes, I know, she turns like an ice-age and lands like a nuclear strike, but she's got character - something I find the Anaconda, for all it's advantages, lacks.

Moral of the story? Spice up your favourite activity by trying something different every now and then. ;)

Seemed like a fairly decent list to me, with one big exception.

The iCourier REALLY should be on there somewhere.

It's just about capable of being a decent "multirole" ship (it can carry a bit of cargo along with an SRV and jump around 35Ly) but it's just so much more fun than most of the alternatives that it shouldn't really be legal.

Everybody who uses a DBX as a "bubble-hopper" should go and buy an iCourier immediately.
Sure, it doesn't jump as far but it's plenty good enough for getting around and it's just FUN to fly.

Top Bottom