Viper III vs Viper IV

Hello Commanders,

I started playing a week ago and im very keen to move up to a new ship....i want to pursue bounty hunting/assasination type missions primarily but i wouldnt mind some cargo capacity so i could do a little trade or smuggling if i felt the need.

I originally planned on getting a Cobra Mk III but then i started doing well in combat and decided to buy a fighter over a multipurpose, i think a Viper, then a Vulture and finally a Fer de lance would suit me just fine.

Im confused as to what viper to buy though the mk III or IV???

Thanks in advance

III will handle better & be faster, IV will be able to be made tank-y with HRP(abe lt get better shield's too I think) & jump further but less manuverable.

Last edited:
I have only been playing for a couple months and had been using the Viper Mk IV. Good little fighter. Just recently moved to the Vulture and haven't looked back. Viper IV is a good inbetween step IMO.

Thanks for all the responses.

Some friends recommended i try the Cobra Mk III, i decided to try it out, i like the soeed speed and manoeuvrability but the shields do go down quickly and the hull cant take much, so im already thinking ill trade up for a Viper Mk IV but it makes me wonder, if the Viper 4 is less manoeverable and slower it has more of a chance at getting shot than tje faster, nimbler Cobra...a few times tonight i switched all power to engines and made a quick getaway, can the Viper do the same?

Thanks again

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Forgive typos :-/ fat thumbs lol

Deleted member 110222

D
Speed = Cobra Mk III

Agility = Viper Mk III

Tanky shields/armour = Viper Mk IV

As far as firepower is concerned, they are identical. So don't base your decision on that or you'll never decide.

Personally I prefer the Viper Mk IV for combat, but that's always been my style in games.

I really hated the hardpoint placement on the Viper mk III. It has the medium hardpoints beneath the midline of the ship, and the smalls on the top, which made it hard for me to use the bigger hardpoints in turning fights. I probably could've gotten used to it, but I switched to a Cobra and used that for a little while for combat.

Honestly, if you don't mind the hardpoint placement, the mkIII is great. It's fast, maneuverable, and it's got good weapons.

I started with a viper3 but moved to the viper4 when i could. I really love it. The mk4 model might be a little slower but the bigger sheilds and hull tank ability make it last longer in tougher situations. I use size 1 beams and size 2 multicannons and its a great setup for me with meduim ships. With proper pips i can strip shields quick and use the multis to finish the job.

NPC Imperial ships are a breeze to take down were NPC feds are a little more difficult. Condas are my nemesis though.

Deleted member 110222

D
I started with a viper3 but moved to the viper4 when i could. I really love it. The mk4 model might be a little slower but the bigger sheilds and hull tank ability make it last longer in tougher situations. I use size 1 beams and size 2 multicannons and its a great setup for me with meduim ships. With proper pips i can strip shields quick and use the multis to finish the job.

NPC Imperial ships are a breeze to take down were NPC feds are a little more difficult. Condas are my nemesis though.

I use the same weapons. Great, ain't it?

Heh, I posted more or less the exact same thread recently. I'll just copy/paste what I wrote yesterday in another thread, though;

Having recently bought a Mrk.IV I'd suggest that as an option, too (as an additional ship to long-time players I concede it's a rather pointless and oddly spec'd addition, but as a first buyer looking for a dedicated fighter it's actually pretty damn good); with some careful flying its pitch speed isn't a major drawback, it can hold more armour or shield cell banks than the III, and it already starts out as a bit of a tank at this price range. It can also take a higher class powerplant and FSD, though I'd concede the latter is a subjective concern for fighters (I always want a half decent jump range, and whilst A's add to power draw, they don't add to mass).

I've taken out Anacondas, Pythons, FDL's, Cutters, etc, and med-beam lasers and cannons can tear through all the smaller ships like paper once you get close in and initiate from a good position. Vultures you have to be wary of, sure, ditto FAS (so far the only ship to take me out in the Viper IV, and I was interdicted and reacted poorly - I wasn't using chaff or shield banks at that point, either), but at lower price/ship ranges you always have to be mindful of certain threats.

I've never done any bounty hunting, but the IV's additional internals over the III give it clear module advantages.

So as a current flier and rather surprisingly proud owner of an upgraded Viper IV, I'd recommend it. I'd love one more utility slot, though... I think that should be patched in to give it another clear boost from the III, as being able to fly with chaff, heat-sinks, and a KWS would be very welcome (or maybe a shield boost, which I've not tried out yet).
For a new buyer looking for a proper warrior of a ship (able to get stuck in and give you some buffer room if you make some rookie mistakes), I think it's great. And you always have room to up its capabilities, too; find yourself needing more shields? Fit more cell banks. Need even better armour for when you might be outmatched when you're shields have been shot away? Go for more reinforcement packages.

Positioning is important in a IV, but it's really important regardless of ship unless you're in one of the very fastest pitching ships. Still, whatever your weapon combination on the IV, get in very close behind and above or below them before you open up. With a few minor flight assist off nudges, none of the larger [NPC] ships will be able to turn the tables. I use gimballed beam lasers, which have a decent angle or effectiveness.

I've sticking with cannons to finish off targets, but that's largely because I just wanted a more aggressive and close range weapon after using multi's on the other ships for so long. But gimballed multi's are probably the best bet to maximise damage dealing in the IV.

/edit

...oh yeah, I need to do a formal retraction correction on my build, though; I actually use the medium hardpoints for the cannons, not the beam lasers as I somehow had in mind yesterday.

Last edited:
I actually really like the MK IV. A little less manoeuvrable, but it's s great all rounder and will still do 20ly combat fitted with prismatic shields. Great little ship.

You can do more with the MK4. I love it. Nice little smuggler, fighter, BB mission ship, cargo hauler..

I'd go for this one. Its a keeper as well.
Quoted for truth.

I am currently in a Cobra Mk III but I have kept my Viper Mk IV.................... I can't part with it.

Anyone know the price for the MKIV? I got the MKIII but after reading this I kinda want to check out the MKIV
If you wanted to pick one up I know it's discounted in LHS 20, as I swung by there again for a Type 6 (there are D/Scouts D/X's, and other bigger far pricier ships too).

Top Bottom