Horizons Viper MkIV - Not that impressed with it

After many deliberations, I finally decided to trade in my Adder and purchase the Viper MkIV to see if it was worth having considering it was meant to be a great fighter class ship to have, it also had a reasonable cargo size so better than the Adder however, I thought that the Viper could handle a small confrontation even with expensive weapons on turrets attached to it.

Well, even after upgrading the ship especially the shields and power sources I was still a sitting duck suffice to say, the shields collapsed after a few hits and the hull destroyed not long after that. In other words 'your ship is destroyed'

Well so much for looking forward to owning one. I'm not that impressed with it to say the least and reverted back to my trusty Adder suped up to the hilt.

Last edited:
Actually viper MKIII seems better for combat than MKIV. Same hardpoints\distributor, and added shield\hull does not justify maneuverability\speed loss.
MKIV is more multipurpose, something like slightly downgraded version of cobra mkIII.

Actually viper MKIII seems better for combat than MKIV. Same hardpoints\distributor, and added shield\hull does not justify maneuverability\speed loss.
MKIV is more multipurpose, something like slightly downgraded version of cobra mkIII.

Yes, that was basically the reason for getting the mkIV for the multipurpose role.

I only fly a Viper mkIV and Cobra mkIII. With the Viper I could almost kill an NPC Anaconda and I routinely kill Pythons, Federation Assault Ships and sometimes Imperial Clippers (all NPC). It's not *that* bad imo.

I like it. I have a soft spot for the MKIII as I used that ship extensively during the original Beta and up until the Vulture came out. I use the MkIV primarily as my Horizons "fly-through-canyons" ship, and it's low-rebuy means I don't care who interdicts me or if I die.

Last edited:
Military armor and biweaves, one b rated shield cell + hull packages everywhere = strong tanker build that can hold its own in both CZs and HazRESs. It's not a bad fighter at all. You just need to know how to build it properly. And when to run of course.

Also very good for planetary missions as it has enough slots to carry what you need plus small ships are better for landing in tight spots. I use mine for shorter exploration of planets and missions

There's nothing to be impressed with. These ships were the bare minimum amount of effort in order to hit their self imposed 30 ships in first year deadline.

To me the Viper4 is a slightly more combat-oriented version of the Cobra3. I think it's a fine ship. Nothing wrong with two ships on the same tier with mostly same functionality ... we need more of that TBH. If I had a complaint about it, I would prefer that the C2 hardpoints location were swapped with the C1s, like they are on the Cobra. A fairly minor quibble though.

Top Bottom