VisitedStarsCache - See all EDSM Visited Stars in your GalMap

Have you ever been out in the dark and thought "I wish I could jump through unvisited systems only" ?

Well, you could, if you checked your next hop against EDSM to see if it had been visited, or you could (if you wanted) download the whole EDSM dump, extract all the system names, put them in an ImportStars.txt file and import it into the game. That's great, but ED imports 1 line of the text file every frame, so let's do some maths:

* INCOMING MATHS ALERT *
40,239,947 systems
The fastest I managed to get ED running was 500fps, but ignore that for a second and imagine your ED runs at 90fps
40239947 / 90 = 447110.5222222222 seconds, or 7451.842037037037 minutes, or 124.1973672839506 hours, or 5.174890303497942 DAYS to import the file.

At 500fps, you can import the file in 22.35552611111111 hours.

* CAUTION, BRAIN CRITICAL HEAT WARNING *

Not sure about you, but I can't be bothered with that hassle. So instead I wrote a system that gets all the data from EDSM, and generates a VisitedStarsCache.dat file that you can just drop into your relevant Cmdr folder, and the game will load it. It takes me 2.5 minutes to generate this file, so I just decided to do it every day.

You: Nice, thanks for all that blah blah text, rec, NOW SHOW ME PICTURES !

Sure.

This is SagA*. You can clearly see the route people take from Sol, and also the route people take from Colonia.

example_1.png

Wanna see the edge of Col70 ? I can show you that too

example_4.png

Here's the Running Man Nebula

example_6.png

I mean, you can even see people's routes:

example_7.png

I did an explore, 1000 or so jumps, and made ~700million credits in exploration data. Cool huh ? Now that you're sold on the idea, how do you get it ? SIMPLE ! Just go here:

http://www.visitedstarscache.space

You can also follow @StarsCache on Twitter to find out when a new file is generated.

FAQ:
1: Why are you so awesome ?
Cos, ya know, someone has to be
2: What about my own VSC ?
If you want to keep it, save the existing file before replacing it with mine. However, if you're reporting your data back to EDSM, then your data is included in the download, and everything you submit to EDSM will then be included in the next available file.
3: ???
4: PROFIT !
Yeah, this is being paid for out of my own pocket, and I don't really have an issue with the costs right now. If you want to give me money, give it to your favourite charity instead. I might consider donations if the cost goes a bit stupid per month.
5: Can I contact you/I have a question ?
@recrudesce on Twitter is the best way.

Enjoy :)

cool stuff :)

there are still many systems within 500Ly radius of Sol which at least arent listed in EDSM...
tried some today, but for now none of them were totally undiscovered ;)

So who discovers the "nearest-to-sol" system in 3305 !? :D

I been doing it (albeit on a smaller scale) hunting for ELWs in the core for a year or so now. I make all the systems in a D mass cube go poof except for the actual D mass systems, and as I search each one it goes poof as well...
Screenshot_2667.jpg

cool stuff :)

there are still many systems within 500Ly radius of Sol which at least arent listed in EDSM...
tried some today, but for now none of them were totally undiscovered ;)

So who discovers the "nearest-to-sol" system in 3305 !? :D

Waves my hand. I don't buckyball out and in. I explore those "pedestrian" areas. I get a lot of satisfaction finding EWs and WW close aboard. There as still some left all. Most folks just kick their ship and gear and ignore the first 2k LY.

Yeah, not everyone submits to EDSM, plus EDSM didn't exist in the early days of E:D.
I think 0.4% of the galaxy has been discovered, of which EDSM knows of about 50% of that :)

@mpfj give me a shout if you want to know how to make the VSC file directly. It'll make your tool a LOT quicker regarding the importing into ED
Yes, I'd be very interested to know its format.

I won't necessarily help the SectorLister tool but I have some other ideas where it would be very handy.

Cheers.

I've been using this for a few days now. I went out toward Pencil Nebula a couple of times, and the first non-EDSM systems were only about 5 jumps from Jameson Memorial / Shinrarta. I haven't found any pristine (totally untagged) systems in that direction until going past Pencil, but there were a bunch of untagged planets, and all of those systems are new as far as EDSM is concerned.

I'm sold. This is super handy.

I did find a bug where it wasn't actually uploading the correct file - I fixed it a few days ago. Worth pulling the file again if you've not done so since this thread was created.

Played with this a bit last night. Filled in a few systems for EDSM around the Orion Nebula, but nothing that wasn't already fully tagged. I would have been pretty surprised to find anything truly unvisited in such a well-explored area, so that seems to be working as expected.

Only downside I can report is, using this adds 10-15 seconds to the game loading screen, although I haven't noticed any slowdown in the game itself. Maybe I'll just take that as motivation to finally get that directory onto the SSD.

Top Bottom