Community Event / Creation Vocals : Free Voice Controlling software

Hi,

As a E:D player myself, I had a look at the hype Voice Attack had recently. I tested it and it was awesome, especially with E:D and a DK2 on my head. As I like to dev in my free time, I developped a free open-source clone of Voice Attack because I just wanted to have some fun. It turned out well, and I wanted to share it.

Here is the Github folder for anyone interested : https://github.com/Al-th/Vocals

Here is a link to the binary for people that don't want to bother compiling their own : https://github.com/Al-th/Vocals/blob/master/Vocals/bin/Release/Vocals.exe?raw=true

The setup is pretty much simple.

1. Follow the Windows Recognition Engine setup instructions here : http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/set-speech-recognition#1TC=windows-7

2. Open Vocals

3. Create a Profile

4. Add new commands. A command is composed of a command text (for example "Activate engines", and a series of actions (for example : Key press "Z", wait 0.3 seconds, Key press "A").

Once you have set up all the commands you want to, switch the software you want to send those commands to in the main window (for elite, it's "Elite Dangerous : Client")

You are good to go, and you can activate your commands !

Edit : Added a youtube video to present Vocals. Sorry for the accent guys !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIeDKT_qRxw

Last edited:
VoiceAttack is pretty well supported, and very very cheap. Are you planning on making this a long term project or a release and forget kind of thing?

if it's going to be ongoing i'll look to provide info on my VRC page.

Hi,

@Zireael : I am a French gamer and my Windows voice recognition engine is set up to french, it works well for me. I got a little problem with choosing beforehand what language you should use, but what is planned is to let you choose between the different installed language on your computer.

@Gomisan : Actually it quite depends of the people. If people don't like it or don't use it, there would be no point of updating it for other users needs. However, I am quite dedicated to help people interested using it and to correct bugs people find in the software. I cannot know before hand what will be the appeal as Voice Attack is (as you say and as I agree with you) very cheap and also an awesome piece of software.

Edit : Added a video to present Vocals : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIeDKT_qRxw&list=UUjSxQ6wXVR3mDLLuSWEedYg

Last edited:
I always like free software . but the only way i can see this really getting off the ground . is if it had the same features as va . now . and with va being so cheap . noone is going to go backwards after spending so much time config va ...

Kutos for your efforts .if this really moves along . ill be more intrested in supporting .
Im not putting you down , just what i think at this present. Time

I always like free software . but the only way i can see this really getting off the ground . is if it had the same features as va . now . and with va being so cheap . noone is going to go backwards after spending so much time config va ...

Kutos for your efforts .if this really moves along . ill be more intrested in supporting .
Im not putting you down , just what i think at this present. Time

Hi commander Noctavigus.

I completely understand your point of view and actually understands it very well. The same applies for a lot of the software world. Who would use LibreOffice when they bought a version of Word.

The point of my post was actually to provide people with a different choice, not to force them to move on if they don't want to, just giving them the choice is enough for me.

As of Vocals, I'm still working on it and it already evolved quite a lot since the first version.

I added support for Voice Synthetiser answers, added toggle for being able to speak inside the game (for example on TeamSpeak or other kind of voice chat) without activating random commands and also a lot of minor upgrades.

Of course I'm still working on it as I have several fellow in the french community that gave some nice ideas along the way.

As of Vocals, I'm still working on it and it already evolved quite a lot since the first version.

I added support for Voice Synthetiser answers, added toggle for being able to speak inside the game (for example on TeamSpeak or other kind of voice chat) without activating random commands and also a lot of minor upgrades.

great im following the thread , look forward to the following updates you release ,

Hola.

Thanks for the work henker.

Can i made a suggestion? Include keys combinations: (ALT+Key) (CTRL+Key) (SHIFT+Key)

Again thank you for the work!

Regards

A good idea and probably not something many other people here could make.

For me personally I already have Voice Attack and it only cost £4.50. I know yours is free but still given the choice between the two systems, I would probably still have chosen VA simply because many others have used it so it has a user base already for problem solving, it has a website too, which gives a more "pro" appearance. You can probably do these things too given time but as it stands I'd have to go the VA route.

Having said that, kudos for making this and giving people an option. Many will go for the free choice, even if its to try it out, and as we both know, using vocal commands is just so much more futuristic than a boring old keyboard :)

P.S. Maybe you want to edit out the bit in your video where the voice command doesnt work and you have to change it? Keeping in errors is an honest virtue but doesn't help in promoting the product much ;)

@Caleb
Can i made a suggestion? Include keys combinations: (ALT+Key) (CTRL+Key) (SHIFT+Key)

This in on track yes !

@Wulfy :
You are right. I don't think I'll take the time to build a website (even if this is not difficult at all), but you are right, having a website can make your product look "better".

As of for the video, you are also right and I might do it again.

Thanks for your reviews,

Henker

You don't need a website buddy,

also thanks for this, I will download it later as I am a very cheap person and not willing to spend money on something that may turn out to be a more novelty!

Kudo!

Hi there !

I added several features to Vocals.

* Voice recognition threshold to adapt the sensibility to your needs
* Added command answers with mp3/wav support
* Added support to toggling Vocals with the key of your needs (correctly interprets ctrl/alt/shift), and the synth to throw in a sentence when toggled.

Please feel free to report any bugs you encounter so it can be corrected and don't hesitate to suggest any improvements you'd like to see in the future.

Hi there !

Just a friendly message to say that I added two features to Vocals :

- Multi-commands : Separate command text by " ; " (semicolon) to have different command text set up for a specific command (for example "Boost ; Boost chewie; Asta la vista baby" for one commands will allow you to speak either of the three).
- Modifier supports (Ctrl/Alt/Shift) added to the actions. No multi-modifier for now though.

Best regards,

Henker

Last edited:
Great work henker!

Like others, I've gone the VA route so likely staying there. That would only change if your app covers off the autohotkey functionality over time to allow for canned comments in communications......

Anyway, I think the idea of an alternative for the ED community is great and is very similar to the EDTracker being developed as an alternative to TrackIR. The difference here being the relative reputation and cost for VA are not an issue for everyone (I would think).

If I was starting fresh today that I would certainly give it a go.

I agree, i have gone down the VA route (it really is cheap as chips and it works awesome, which is how software should be).

KUDOS for doing something for everyone for free, i tip my hat to you. If starting out i would give a look for sure.

Also using voice attack .. I ALSO strongly support members of this community, developing alternatives, just like the ED Tracker. As your system develops I definitely plan to try it.

Another group member (Oracleboy) is developing a cool set of voice packs (for computer talk-back) ..
You should hook up with him I think.

As, if you can get your voice recognition app to include key mapping and so get ship voice talk-back from key presses (run alongside actual voice control) .. then I suspect you will transcend what Voice Attack, as good as it is, can do.

Good luck and keep us posted. Cheers Cmdr.

Top Bottom