Proposal Discussion Voice Talent in Elite: Dangerous

Stachel

Banned
"War. War never changes"

Was done by a reasonably talented chap.

Best game ever, of all time, will never be a better game. Intros done by Ron Perlman are exempt however. ;) Everything Matthew Perry did .. we'll just add to the pile of shyte voice acting in video games. :D

Have you played Portal 2?

I have not. Was it a good example of trend bucking?

Stachel

Banned
I have no knowledge of English accents and dialects so I'm not sure what you mean that. :rolleyes:

Well I'm sure you are no stranger to the official discrimination against regional accents nonsense that goes on in every country ..

Here you can pretty much forget ever hearing a west country, geordie, manc, belfast or non-silly-tartan army accent on the BBC. Unless its the fool.

Its cool and brave and awesum(tm) that they went with a west country for the robot in Portal 2 is all. o7 2 their t00nies. :D

Well I'm sure you are no stranger to the official discrimination against regional accents nonsense that goes on in every country ..

Here you can pretty much forget ever hearing a west country, geordie, manc, belfast or non-silly-tartan army accent on the BBC. Unless its the fool.

Its cool and brave and awesum(tm) that they went with a west country for the robot in Portal 2 is all. o7 2 their t00nies. :D

Ah yes, I understand.
Wheatley (the robot) is the silly character though. :)

We need to get this guy as a station announcer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqnFnWSYzaQ#t=33

;)

Damn, I had him in mind too :eek:

Came to post for a request for background comms chatter, but a search brought me here, once again been beaten to it.

as previously mentioned by Solace the Kris Avery video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewC4ov9HXBw

nails this at 0:55

imagine breaking out of supercruise to an interdiction and the radio comes to life with random chatter, data bursts or an old 2400 dial up modem for nostalgia? :)

Sometimes its simple little details that make a great game better.

Yaffle

Volunteer Moderator
Damn, I had him in mind too :eek:

Came to post for a request for background comms chatter, but a search brought me here, once again been beaten to it.

as previously mentioned by Solace the Kris Avery video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewC4ov9HXBw

nails this at 0:55

imagine breaking out of supercruise to an interdiction and the radio comes to life with random chatter, data bursts or an old 2400 dial up modem for nostalgia? :)

Sometimes its simple little details that make a great game better.

There's a comms chatter add-in for Oolite which is very similar, it's garbled voices. As the repeat cycle is about 30 seconds it becomes a bit tedious after a while. The idea of a crowd sourced then garbled comms chatter appeals as you'd probably rarely get repeats, but we'd end up with a 10Gb download just for that sound file.

PS - Awesome Commander Name. I assume you run a movie studio somewhere?

Radio chatter would be absolutely brilliant, immersive in many ways both in and out of combat and an enhancer of what the game is trying to create, be it loneliness and emptiness of space during travel or a more intense experience during combat or at the approach of busy hubs. Scanning for radio chatter would be a great indication of the general activity in one's vicinity too for sure. it's not too hard then to set its volume up or down (or off) through the panels just like we can set the GUI's brightness.

It definitely raises the usual problem of audio loop though, but I can think of several solutions or ways to help in this matter.

-Considering the voice chatter will be heavily filtered through a radio noise audio filter the quality can I think be quite low, offering great lenght/size ratio.
-Any repetitiveness can be further reduced by applying dynamic stronger audio radio noise and grain randomly on the chatter.
-Several tracks could be recorded in several languages and played randomly
-If the conversations are kept neutral, evasive and short while keeping rather constant voice tones and low accentuation (just like professionals in most situations) it gets much harder to notice similarities and repetitions. Or go the completely inapprehensible way but it's still mostly defined by tone and intonation.
-It could just be a library of short to middle convos picked randomly with an intensity that is defined by a zone or system activity.

I'm not sure how their audio engine works but there's countless solutions I think to make it work, it all depends on if Frontier thinks time & budget is worth the immersion it would provide. So far on the audio side of things they really outdone themselves and I hope they keep on doing so.

Last edited:
Regarding the ship's computer, and as smooth as her voice is, I'd like the option to turn it off so I can have a consistent voice using Voice Attack.

I like the outpost ambient sounds though, like the 'um um um' rave beats and I'm sure there are some garbled voices in there somewhere.

Top Bottom