Voyager Trail Expedition - Gauging Interest

Closely related to the awesome research Stealthie is doing, I thought I'd see what the interest is among DW2 participants for an official (or unofficial, or casual) expedition following the Voyager Trail back to the bubble.

OFFICIAL VOYAGER TRAIL EXPEDITION OPTION?
I couldn't find anything about an "official" expedition for the Voyager Trail return from DW2. If anyone knows of such an endeavor, please post a link here so we can join the fun. If one doesn't exist, and we can get a sufficient group of interested CMDRs (10 or more), I wouldn't mind taking point, getting it set up, and posting it to EDSM. Of course, any help would be appreciated since I've never mounted an expedition before.

CASUAL VOYAGER TRAIL CONVOY OPTION?
If we don't do an "official organized expedition," I wouldn't mind putting together a casual convoy-style journey. I could help gather organize links to resources, create an official expedition thread here, and put an interest/publicity website (advantages of web design being part of the day job - unlimited websites). I've already got a Voyager Trail section in my Discord I'd be happy to share and invite others to, or we could set up a separate instance.

Since the Voyager Trail is definitely something I'll be doing regardless of additional CMDR participation, I created a mission patch. I'll attach it here in case anyone else wants to use it for their own journey. All I'd ask in return for its use is a nod or a little attribution. o7

VoyagerTrailPatch_FullColor.png VoyagerTrailPatch_5color.png

Hopefully we can add some community to the journey home, especially if many of us will be exploring the same path. I look forward to your responses, CMDRs. o7

- CMDR Mal

I followed Stealthie's map back from BP earlier in the year.
It's interesting from a historical perspective (and thanks for the detail at the time Stealthie), but to be honest, there's not much unusual to see. It would be nice to have some visitor beacons at strategic points, I guess... but eh... different universe, so...

I followed Stealthie's map back from BP earlier in the year.
It's interesting from a historical perspective (and thanks for the detail at the time Stealthie), but to be honest, there's not much unusual to see. It would be nice to have some visitor beacons at strategic points, I guess... but eh... different universe, so...

Have to say, back when DW2 was being planned I reached out to FDev to see if they might be interested in allowing me to suggest some locations, along the way, where game-assets might be placed to create some interest.
A Communication Satellite here, an abandoned settlement there, a crashed ship somewhere else, etc.
Never heard back from them.
That's part of the reason my enthusiasm for the project dwindled, I'm afraid.

Still, if players want the information, I'm happy to provide it. (y)

Have to say, back when DW2 was being planned I reached out to FDev to see if they might be interested in allowing me to suggest some locations, along the way, where game-assets might be placed to create some interest.
A Communication Satellite here, an abandoned settlement there, a crashed ship somewhere else, etc.
Never heard back from them.
That's part of the reason my enthusiasm for the project dwindled, I'm afraid.

Still, if players want the information, I'm happy to provide it. (y)
Oh absolutely... Not your fault there was no follow up. I mean it wasn't down to you to lead it anyway. FD have hundreds of paid employees to create content, and your map was more than all of them managed together. It was more complete than Colonia was at the start, more thought and effort than the thargoid war...

It's just, there was nothing to see. I didn't expect to see bits of ancient Trek Federation hardware (IP stuff)... but there could have been something...

Even better they could do their own stuff. We know in Elite lore that there have been previous expeditions to find Raxxla, there are the old Galaxy Segments from E1, lots of things that could be marked, if by nothing more than a route marker along the way.

I like exploration. It was my first Elite rank. But there's not a lot out there anymore.

Where are the ancient route markers, where are the old galmap boundaries, where are the old thargoid bases from the first war? They might be out there I guess, waiting to be found, but there's no lore, no databases to mine for information. It's like the whole internet was wiped and replaced with Galnet news...

Where are the ancient route markers, where are the old galmap boundaries, where are the old thargoid bases from the first war? They might be out there I guess, waiting to be found, but there's no lore, no databases to mine for information. It's like the whole internet was wiped and replaced with Galnet news...

Yep,

It's a common problem with ED's real-scale galaxy; anything truly rare will be almost impossible to find by accident and anything that can be found fairly easily is likely to be so common it's trivial.

ED could really use more bits of "random lore" IMO.
You show up at a station and read a news article that says a ship was lost in some system half way across the galaxy. You make the effort to go there and there IS a crashed ship to be found.
You get a message from a mega-ship which says half their crew abandoned-ship in some random system. You go there and there's a settlement to be found.

That's the sort of thing I'd quite happily spend my time cataloguing and then hoofing around the galaxy to locate.

I understand it's not going to be a perfect expedition, and that there are game mechanics that might be in need of some adjustment.

All I'm really trying to do with this post is get some like-minded DW2 folks together who might find it fun to follow that particular route (Voyager Trail) home as a group. It gets lonely out here, you know.

- CMDR Mal

@rOmiLaYu cool - I’ll see you on the Trail. I was hoping more of the CMDRs that are talking about taking this route home would post here, but it is what it is. Maybe we’ll pick up a few on the way.

But I’m eager to get started, so I’m going to make my way on over to Voyager’s Reach with designs on leaving for Sol on Saturday morning, May 18.

Anyone who wants to team up, toss me a friend request in-game (MalForTheWin) so we can connect.

- Mal o7

The percentage of people actively looking into this forum is relatively low. You gotta spark some interest on the discord.

@rOmiLaYu cool - I’ll see you on the Trail. I was hoping more of the CMDRs that are talking about taking this route home would post here, but it is what it is. Maybe we’ll pick up a few on the way.

But I’m eager to get started, so I’m going to make my way on over to Voyager’s Reach with designs on leaving for Sol on Saturday morning, May 18.

Anyone who wants to team up, toss me a friend request in-game (MalForTheWin) so we can connect.

- Mal o7

A few Cmdrs (myself included) joined up on the newly formed LRH3305 expedition. I just found the waypoints and POI's on that route more appealing, even though the route is obviously longer/less direct.

- Mal o7
I'm a bit ahead of you, CMDR. Should be reaching Sisyphus' Rock tonight.

A very small group of PS4 DW2 commanders is making a mix of voyager trail + carina return trip, for a clockwise navigation with an eastern approach to the bubble. extremely relaxed, exploration oriented. there are rats and seals on the group, and we are connecting with other return-expeditions in case of need. discord here: https://discord.gg/GHraRMu

I am about 70% from Beagle Point to the start of the Voyager trail. I would really like to join an EDSM expedition and meet some commanders on the way back. If someone sets this up, count me in. Some suggested meeting points would also be nice... Or find a place which corresponds to some specific Voyager episode...

You need at least 10 confirmed participants to get it on EDSM.

Exactly! We are WAY below 10 participants. So far, three in total. There are other friends on the discord server (which does not even have a bot in it!) but they are mostly liason with GTR (@Allcrowsareblack for instance). Anyway, here's an updated invite: https://discord.gg/EZZFUEA . We are launching this Sunday. Target 1 is Voyager's Reach. We will be departing from Xy, Xylo memorial @ Beagle Point, towards Target1-Waypoint1 HYEAE EORK LN-Q D6-1

Top Bottom