VR has become unplayable

Hey,

I used to play ED without issue for years in VR. Now that I checked back in after a few months, and recently got a Valve Index, I thought I'd fire up ED again.
It's unplayable. I get hitches roughly every 2 seconds. Using the frame timing debugger, it looks like it's the game, not SteamVR. This is also the only game where I have this issue.
The PC is a Ryzen 9 3900X with 32GB RAM and a GTX 1080. I've lowered the settings down all the way, disabled and enabled motion smoothing, etc. - no change.

I'm not sure what to do about this.

EDIT: Oh and just for giggles, I tried 2d mode and it also hitches... This is in the main menu even. It hitches throughout the entire game.

I'm using SteamVR with WMR and performance is good on a ryzen 1600 and 1080ti.
The SteamVR SS setting has upped the resolution at the same % recently but that won't be affecting 2D, there must be something else going on.

I'm guessing you've made some hardware changes recently given you're running the 3900, maybe worth putting in a support ticket?

Hey,

I used to play ED without issue for years in VR. Now that I checked back in after a few months, and recently got a Valve Index, I thought I'd fire up ED again.
It's unplayable. I get hitches roughly every 2 seconds. Using the frame timing debugger, it looks like it's the game, not SteamVR. This is also the only game where I have this issue.
The PC is a Ryzen 9 3900X with 32GB RAM and a GTX 1080. I've lowered the settings down all the way, disabled and enabled motion smoothing, etc. - no change.

EDIT: Oh and just for giggles, I tried 2d mode and it also hitches... This is in the main menu even. It hitches throughout the entire game.

View attachment 139173
Overall what do you think of the Valve Index? I'm using a rift s right now and I'm seriously not happy with it. Probably gonna upgrade to a vive pro or the index

Hey,

View attachment 139173
And they said poor quality was why they couldn't do it on PlayStation 4. what a joke

FYI, I played it for quite a while last night with a Rift S and didn't notice any stuttering or hitches.

This is the stock (not Steam) client with the Oculus app, in case that helps.

I also have massive stutters in Elite and especially in VR where the game is unplayable now, and as you I don't have problems in other games. Even if I turn every single graphics setting down to low I get these stutters. I have stopped played it for now hoping that it will get fixed some day. I have seen a few complain about the same, but nothing acknowledged from Frontier, so I'm afraid it probably low priority.

My Spec:
Windows 10 Pro - 1903
i9 9900k
16GB DDR4 3200 GHz
GTX1080
Oculus Rift
Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD M.2 2280 - 250GB (system drive and ED location)
+ a bunch of other ssd disks.

I play it on my PSVR. It's just a movie theater sized screen in my face and all the word are almost too blurry to read. Still way more immersive than without it

Update: Although ED was the only game where I experienced this, it was actually a system issue. A device kept appearing and disappearing in the device manager, and each time this happened ED would halt for a moment. Apparently it takes some time to re-enumerate input devices or something like that. Trying to fix this problem I completely killed Win10 and reinstalled it (which is a major PITA because of all the dev tools and IDEs I have to reinstall now x.x) - now the hitches are gone. Well at least the regular ones. Haven't really noticed any otherwise.

If it helps, I'm keeping the game on an SSD to minimize IO latency effects.

I loaded up elite on pc the other day and also found it almost unplayable. For some reason the skybox is no longer black. Something to do with the new lighting. Seeing the skybox move instead of distant stars is almost nauseating. Edprofiler doesnt work with the update yet. Any advice?

I've had no issue with the Rift S in either Oculus or SteamVR launched (2 cmdr accounts) apart from some initial issues with Oculus software following the Rift S release - all is fine now.

Update: Although ED was the only game where I experienced this, it was actually a system issue. A device kept appearing and disappearing in the device manager, and each time this happened ED would halt for a moment. Apparently it takes some time to re-enumerate input devices or something like that. Trying to fix this problem I completely killed Win10 and reinstalled it (which is a major PITA because of all the dev tools and IDEs I have to reinstall now x.x) - now the hitches are gone. Well at least the regular ones. Haven't really noticed any otherwise.

If it helps, I'm keeping the game on an SSD to minimize IO latency effects.

I actually think I had a similar problem. I noticed an "Generic SuperSpeed USB Hub" that kept disconnecting/connecting. Then I found out that the rift was connected to that port in my motherboard, so I moved the rift to another usb-port, and the disconnects stopped. The stutter in elite is also almost gone. Its still weird that I could play other games in VR just fine. But I'm happy I can play Elite in VR again :D :D

I actually think I had a similar problem. I noticed an "Generic SuperSpeed USB Hub" that kept disconnecting/connecting. Then I found out that the rift was connected to that port in my motherboard, so I moved the rift to another usb-port, and the disconnects stopped. The stutter in elite is also almost gone. Its still weird that I could play other games in VR just fine. But I'm happy I can play Elite in VR again :D:D
You could try opening device manager and removing the Generic SS Hub then detecting new hardware - it should (with luck) reinstall it with the correct driver (which may just be Asmedia).

I play it on the Rift, the old one with a 1070, but I play it through the oculus store and it works fine. Actually if your game is that old you should have a free oculusstore key. See if it works?

Hi Toumal... I think I had the same problem as yourself. It occured after the 3.3 update and involved a tremendous amount of emails and work to try and correct it. I stopped playing for a considerable amount of time but I spent my money on a lifetime pass so I was not going to give in. Between frontier and myself I think we tried everything ranging from physically disconnecting devices, updating all drivers, full and clean install of everything I have (flight sim being the bulk of my programs and add-ons) trying the game on another machine and at a friends house using his ISP. All to no avail. So it was not my machine... it is a fault in the program... which has now gone!
And this is how...
I was on a journey to the far side of the galaxy and on my way back, getting close to the centre when the update arrived. The ship was loaded with data and nothing else... an asp just for exploring. Flying close to the surface of a moon or planet when coming into land or flying along a canyon and the micro interrupts would occur. They were only for a split second, maybe one second at most but in VR the effect was awful, especially if you were moving your head at the time because the image would scroll out of view and like you I found the game unplayable. So the solution... fly away from the centre of the galaxy, download your data at Catalonia and then continue on your merry way. As I did this the problem eased and now that I am only 400 jumps away from being back in the bubble the problem has gone completely. Just in case it was my imagination, after downloading data at Catalonia I travelled back towards the centre of the galaxy and the issue returned. I did this twice.
From December to 2018 to March 2019 I worked on this issue with frontier... even suggested that I physically take my machine to them but that was not necessary as they could test my saved position from their base. One CMDR managed to replicate the issue but quality control could not.
The solution given above was not mine... it was a case of me searching the forum and suddenly coming across another post that suggested being close to the centre in a particular sector could be the problem.

If you have fixed it already then that's great... if not and some of the above rings true... then give it a go.

My time on ED is now trouble free... however, my reason for logging on to the forum today is because I have just received my new Valve Index and I am about to swap out my Oculus Rift for the new device. I am trying to stay positive and optimistic... but I am expecting trouble... because it never seems to go to plan for me. I'm going to post a question or two along the lines of... do I have to uninstall and remove ED and oculus before setting it back up on Steam and with the Index.

Hope the above works for you the next time you try.

Top Bottom