VR / Hotas / PVP

Hey all,

Running with a Vive/T1600M FCS/throttle.

I would appreciate feedback on how to develop my skills for PVP. I know that PVE is the main draw but PVP will be a litmus test for how I'm improving as a pilot.

I understand that the meta is FDL/3X PA/2X Rails and that KB+M is considered the more effective control method because of precision. I tried using a KB+M in VR but hated it and will stay with the HOTAS.

I am practicing with the railgun right now but aiming with the flight stick has proven difficult. I can hit the AI consistently when they fly in a straight line or make wide, predictable turns. But I don't know if I will be able to build the dexterity with the HOTAS (I am naturally left-handed) to snipe a human-controlled target using the fixed weapons that apparently dominate the end-game.

Are there alternatives to the current PVP meta for a VR based, flight-stick wielding newcomer? Seems like I have a choice in front of me:

a) Double down on learning the rails / PAs

-OR-

b) Use gimbals, missiles, easier to aim fixed weapons like lasers to free myself up and focus on evasion.

I came across this in my reading: https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/63kzmg Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/63kzmg/truesilvers_top_tips_no3_gimballed_duelling_or/

Seems like a fun but I don't how relevant the info is anymore. I would really prefer to not build another cookie cutter PVP boat. But if the FDL/PAs/Rails setup is really that effective, in that I essentially have no choice between using that or getting stomped, then I will learn it. I want to PVP at some point and there is, for better or worse, nothing like it out there.

Would love to hear everyone's thoughts.

Last edited:

Arguendo

Volunteer Moderator
This is a tough one.
I run VR myself and I've found that it has some advantages and some disadvantages. As for disadvantages I'd already made my choice so they don't matter as much.
With VR you gain some accuracy with weapons like PAs, for some reason. I think it's because the reticule is bigger and more in your face in VR, so you can time your shots better. And you can also track your target and target them more easily when you can move your head and not just an extra joystick or keypad setting to move the screen around.
The downside is what it has always been for me; no KBM for hitscan weapons. I already had that issue though, and made a conscious decision not to convert to KBM prior to buying my VR setup. I prefer the feel of the HOTAS to the KBM, no matter what it does to my accuracy (especially in FA OFF). It would feel wrong to me to fly a spaceship with KBM, while to others it either doesn't feel wrong, or winning a fight is more important.

So, you have to make a choice for yourself. Either accept that in FA OFF you're at a disadvantage with a HOTAS and fly VR, or find a way around it and convert to atleast a mouse.There are a few setups that include mouse+throttle or mouse+alternate input method, that can made the disadvantage a bit less atleast.

Thanks a lot for your response, Arguendo. What percentage of your time should you be flying with FA off in PVP, roughly? And what weapons have you found most effective as a VR player? I see looking at your ships that your FDL has mostly gimballed MCs.

Last edited:

Arguendo

Volunteer Moderator
First off, you shouldn't look at my ships on Inara. They're not that representative. A lot of them are just storage ships :D
I mostly fly a PA / Railgun mix FdL. The setup on Resolution was pretty much a test for fun, but I find all gimballed MCs to lack a bit when it comes to DPS. Fun to fly for sure, as you can focus more on being evasive and really flying your ship, but not really as effective as PAs imo.
In combat I try to fly FA OFF all the time, but still find myself swapping to FA ON for the long range Rail shots. With a HOTAS I just find the accuracy to be lacking for those. PAs are easier as they're "snap shots", while Rails require a bit more finesse.

With a mouse, Rail shots should be a lot easier in FA OFF due to relative mouse. Like I said, I just can't bring myself to change though. It would take away a lot of my "good vibes" when playing
😊

What percentage of your time should you be flying with FA off in PVP, roughly?

Irregardless of your devices, you should fly as much FA off as it helps you. There is no right or wrong about this. Find out how much time you are willing to train with FA off, what is most fun to you, what is most effective and balance that to your liking. I fly FA off 100% but mostly because it's more fun to me. There probably might be situations where FA on can make things easier but for me that's not what FA off is about.

I want to PVP at some point and there is, for better or worse, nothing like it out there.

want an advice? jump right in. this game is not pvp-ready, so don't waste time and have fun.

i'd say 'have fun and experiment' but there is a caveat: ships are expendable, testing out upgrades is hugely expensive in terms of grind and the sheer combinations and atomization, and the end result isn't even half balanced. which is the main reason for those metas: nobody in his sane mind will test all combinations, and people just go with what the few most dedicated tinkerers did and told.

but you don't need to go all the way to the 'endgame' to have some thrill, just look up someone for some nice prearranged duels. and practice. engineering actually works AGAINST your skill.

Somewhere between 0% and 100%.

Really though, this is an oddly loaded question that implies a set of preconceptions which could be fallacious and harmful to one's piloting.

Ya re-reading it, it does sound like a dumb question. Seems to be based around personal preference, pilot style and skill so even if someone told me to fly FA off 100% of the time it's not like I could just learn to do it overnight. No quick shortcuts I suppose.

want an advice? jump right in. this game is not pvp-ready, so don't waste time and have fun.

i'd say 'have fun and experiment' but there is a caveat: ships are expendable, testing out upgrades is hugely expensive in terms of grind and the sheer combinations and atomization, and the end result isn't even half balanced. which is the main reason for those metas: nobody in his sane mind will test all combinations, and people just go with what the few most dedicated tinkerers did and told.

but you don't need to go all the way to the 'endgame' to have some thrill, just look up someone for some nice prearranged duels. and practice. engineering actually works AGAINST your skill.

The bold summarizes my concerns - I have no problems with practicing and getting smashed, but the grind to get a fully engineered combat ready ship looks so tedious that I want to do as much research as possible before investing my time. E.g. Imperial Hammers vs regular rails, advanced plasma or not, what other weapon loadouts are viable and how they translate across for VR players.

I am getting better, slowly, with the railguns and have been working on using FA off to snap myself back into position quickly.

Any other suggested builds to experiment with are welcome.

Thanks for your feedback so far gang.

Ya re-reading it, it does sound like a dumb question. Seems to be based around personal preference, pilot style and skill so even if someone told me to fly FA off 100% of the time it's not like I could just learn to do it overnight. No quick shortcuts I suppose.

There are also objective advantages and disadvantages to each flight mode.

You'll want to be as proficient as practical at both, but as you experience them, you'll realize that no matter how good you eventually become, there will always be reasons to switch between them, even if you prefer one over the other enough that you don't have to.

Hey all,

Running with a Vive/T1600M FCS/throttle.

I would appreciate feedback on how to develop my skills for PVP. I know that PVE is the main draw but PVP will be a litmus test for how I'm improving as a pilot.

I understand that the meta is FDL/3X PA/2X Rails and that KB+M is considered the more effective control method because of precision. I tried using a KB+M in VR but hated it and will stay with the HOTAS.

I am practicing with the railgun right now but aiming with the flight stick has proven difficult. I can hit the AI consistently when they fly in a straight line or make wide, predictable turns. But I don't know if I will be able to build the dexterity with the HOTAS (I am naturally left-handed) to snipe a human-controlled target using the fixed weapons that apparently dominate the end-game.

Are there alternatives to the current PVP meta for a VR based, flight-stick wielding newcomer? Seems like I have a choice in front of me:

a) Double down on learning the rails / PAs

-OR-

b) Use gimbals, missiles, easier to aim fixed weapons like lasers to free myself up and focus on evasion.

I came across this in my reading: https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/63kzmg Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/63kzmg/truesilvers_top_tips_no3_gimballed_duelling_or/

Seems like a fun but I don't how relevant the info is anymore. I would really prefer to not build another cookie cutter PVP boat. But if the FDL/PAs/Rails setup is really that effective, in that I essentially have no choice between using that or getting stomped, then I will learn it. I want to PVP at some point and there is, for better or worse, nothing like it out there.

I come from CQC (I don't play the main game) so my answer is only half-revelvant. Try: Joystick + Mouse.
Here are current setups of some CQC players in case you are interested:

Top Bottom