VR is a niche (2)

Interpret? There was nothing to "interpret", if you don't mean something then perhaps you shouldn't write it. So your post, if I strip out what you didn't actually mean boils down to:

Other than the annoying part I couldn't agree more.
Well when I said that you can't eat, drink and smoke I actually meant that I didn't find it very enjoyable, not that it would be impossible like you interpreted it. Of course it's possible. It's also possible to do a headstand on the toilet.

Well when I said that you can't eat, drink and smoke I actually meant that I didn't find it very enjoyable, not that it would be impossible like you interpreted it. Of course it's possible.

Odd to say that when "impossible" is a synonym of "can't" - personally I don't believe there was anything open to misinterpretation.

Anyway at least we got to the bottom of your post in the end, which essentially breaks down into two sentences which I doubt many people would disagree with followed by a fair bit dramatisation for effect but at least we know that now so thank you for the clarification.

Either way, I respect that VR in its current state may not be for you, not everyone has to like something.

Last edited:
Odd to say that when "impossible" is a synonym of "can't" - personally I don't believe there was anything open to misinterpretation.

Anyway at least we got to the bottom of your post in the end, which essentially is two sentences which I doubt many people would disagree with followed by a fair bit dramatisation for effect.

Either way, I respect that VR in its current state may not be for you, not everyone has to like something.
at this point you're just splitting hairs and trying to antagonize a conflict can you just drop it and get over it

at this point you're just splitting hairs and trying to antagonize a conflict can you just drop it and get over it

Not at all, I was merely trying to get to the bottom of such a silly statement is all, now that we have please be assured that the subject is dropped as far as I'm concerned.

Personally I read similar comments a fair bit, similar to the old "3D gives you headaches" spouted by people who had never even watched a 3D movie. At least Babel has used VR in this instance which is why I said I respected his opinion once he'd been more honest about what his opinion actually was.

Last edited:
Let's put things another way, with the current huge success of the Quest, ongoing investment by facebook and steady improvements in the technology .. can we honestly imagine VR fizzling out again and going the way of the Nintendo Wii (which I seem to recall once seemed like the future). I don't think I can - it feels like VR has climbed a hill and reached a plateau of reasonable stability now. I don't think it will ever be the way most games are played (at least not until everyone's heads are full of Elon Musk's implants and we're all fully jacked into the Matrix) but I think it's here to stay now like high-end gaming rigs, HOTAS controllers and 3 screen 180° monitor setups. As long as games companies keep making content that is. People say content is king ... I can see the truth of that. The hardware is good enough now (and will only get better) but lack of continued content development could still kill it I guess (we can't keep playing Beat Saber for the next 10 years ... can we?).

Edit: oh, and re: thread title, yeah - VR Elite probably is niche, but VR itself ... no, I don't think I would use that word to describe it.

Last edited:
My wife didn't play video games at all. That was before. Now she loves most of the games on PSVR. horror games, roller coasters, Astrobot rescue, Skyrim VR, drunken bar fight, rec room and crisis brigade. PSVR has limited titles comparatively but VR has the ability put non-gamers in the gamers category. This is why it is the future

I think VR is niche.

Do I think it will die? No

Why?

Because it is widely considered the absolute best way to consume certain content, albiet simulators. That is a niche market which requires VR, not only that it demands it to the point that Codemasters recently added VR support to Dirt Rally 2.0 because of demand which led to the slogan 'No VR, No Buy!'
The fact that VR support in certain genres is in such demand, slogans have successfully motivated developers to make sure VR is supported, I think bodes very well for VR.

I come from 3D gaming and I am still sore that nVidia has outright stopped supporting 3D Vision. I think this is easily the best way to consume standard gaming content BUT the S3D tech itself didn't improve. Games did but the tech was static. VR, on the other hand, develops. The perfectly legitimate concerns of: low res, low FoV, the absolute ball ache of installing sensors, powerful PC requirements, expensive hardware requirements have already nearly all been addressed! And as more HMDs are released, providing HMD developers are sensible to continue to sell the earlier models, the other concerns will also be addressed.

That is my 2 pence anyway!

Its niche...for now. In five years it will still be niche, but its also here to stay. Too much investment with too much possibility and the hardware is finally here to make it run. I get all the complaints. I cant recommend it to a friend that owns a PC unless he has a good PC and some ability to follow through on setup. Per many posters here you are likely right its the consoles that will bring it mainstream, until PC is plug and play. The trackers built into the headset make this much closer as my windows mixed reality is darn close to plug and play, so maybe soon on the PC. But I do know this.... I have played Elite Dangerous for five years now, always in VR. I bought VR because of ED, and ED because of VR. The experience in VR is incredible five years running now. We all have our point of entry and mine was a DK2, that was incredible! But now, so much better. So its niche, I dont care as long as VR is here to stay, and it is. Have you seen the HorseHead nebula in VR?! "I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate." - oh wait :), well everything but that :)

I think virtual arguments are a niche, but as the entry cost is very low, I don't think they'll die out.

What? Oh .... sorry, I thought VR stood for virtual rrrrguments ;)

My wife didn't play video games at all. That was before. Now she loves most of the games on PSVR. horror games, roller coasters, Astrobot rescue, Skyrim VR, drunken bar fight, rec room and crisis brigade. PSVR has limited titles comparatively but VR has the ability put non-gamers in the gamers category. This is why it is the future

Now that you mention it, my sister was never into video games, she used to play Tetris when we were kids and she excelled at it but that was all. Now, since I got the Rift, every time she visits me she asks me if she could play RUSH or some VR experiences. I didn't notice until you mentioned it.

VR will be the future no doubt, currently niche, but detrimental to any new innovative gameplay ideas. This tendency follows a long history: The more we are distracted by visual sensations the less our imagination and creativity will be challenged.
by this statement that would imply that all science fiction would have gotten progressively worse since its invention instead of getting significantly better and more creative. so I find this statement to be completely false. maybe for some people perhaps for uncreative people are less creative after being inspired just to look at other people's works, but creative people are inspired by creativity.

Creative people are inspired by creativity.

It was already in the last post which you obviously didn't finish reading. How is games being more visually stimulating going to reduce the amount of ideas a person who is already an inspired creative artist has? It won't. At the very worst it'll prevent some of the lackluster "creativity" that exists everywhere these days. In a sense it will weed out the crap or those with only enough creativity to produce crap

No I get what you mean. I just think there are too many mediocre devs being hired onto projects. I think they flooded the market and it's the bigger companies that don't want to risk what isn't already popular when they invest in a new game being made. Their first concern is whether it will make money right away, enough to validate paying the devs, over how long people will play it.

Original, creative ideas don't, at first, seem like they will catch because they don't necessarily already have a fanbase market. So the publishers look for stuff that's like the popular titles and then try to implement originality.

I think this is why games like elite and no mans sky and other styles like ark were initially made by smaller groups of people and kickstarters instead of big companies and investment groups.

If that makes sense

Top Bottom