VR is a niche (2)

Considering No Man's Sky Beyond will be released this Wednesday and that on reddit many people said that they bought VR for it I would be curious to see the selling charts for VR headsets... Where can these be found?

VR is the Beta Max of PC gaming! Maybe the future of movies. But until someone comes up with a user friendly way to control games while wearing the headset it ain't goin' anywhere,.

VR ->

Don't worry, the PS5 will bring VR to the mainstream.

So much this. I dont know much about consoles or Sony vs Microsoft, but I am convinced that for VR to go mainstream it needs to be accessible via the mainstream consoles rather than a PC. Not only will it increase the potential market many times over, but having one or two dedicated systems with one or two headsets would make development and optimization far easier.

Case in point: I play VR via a Lenovo Explorer. I have to install the WMR portal, install steam VR beta, install a Steam VR->WMR app, launch the game then half the time calibrate space to make sure the inside-out tracking works. That should have been: plug in, turn on, have fun. No way aunt Jane or little Billy are going through this hassle even if they have the hardware.

Don't worry, the PS5 will bring VR to the mainstream.
Not sure about that. While VR is impressive, I only used the Oculus Rift for a couple of hours before it became annoying.
First there are the obvious technical issues, like low resolution and comfort, but this can be addressed in the future. But it's also not fun to play with other people in the same room, you can't smoke, eat and drink. You can't talk to the wife or children. You never know if someone is standing right next to you. It's like a device from a dystopian future where everyone becomes weird and antisocial and lives in an alternate reality. I don't know if that's really something for the mainstream.
Don't get me wrong, it's great fun and if I would be a different type of gamer I would probably use it all the time. But I guess it will always be a niche product like HOTAS and racing wheels.
Maybe I am completely wrong though.

Sorry i don't have 2000$ for a pair of fancy goggles. And no, I am never ever buying anything from facebook.

Paid $129 for my VR set and it has no ties with Facebook.

Not sure about that. While VR is impressive, I only used the Oculus Rift for a couple of hours before it became annoying.
First there are the obvious technical issues, like low resolution and comfort, [...]

You are wrong about this here. The OR is already quite dated. My el-cheapo set has markedly higher quality and way more comfort and it isn't the best by any stretch of the imagination.

But it's also not fun to play with other people in the same room, you can't smoke, eat and drink. You can't talk to the wife or children. You never know if someone is standing right next to you. It's like a device from a dystopian future where everyone becomes weird and antisocial and lives in an alternate reality. I don't know if that's really something for the mainstream.
Don't get me wrong, it's great fun and if I would be a different type of gamer I would probably use it all the time.

Its a personal preference I guess. Gaming is a distant second hobby for me, after making music. Being 'alone' in VR is no issue to me, I wouldn't want any non-contributing people around when I am in my studio either.

Considering No Man's Sky Beyond will be released this Wednesday and that on reddit many people said that they bought VR for it I would be curious to see the selling charts for VR headsets... Where can these be found?

Here is a couple I found googling "VR headsets sales figures":

https://www.statista.com/statistics/671403/global-virtual-reality-device-shipments-by-vendor/
https://www.viar360.com/virtual-reality-market-size-2018/

Both Oculus and HTC had modes increases, but there was a huge jump for Sony and the Oculus Go.

My fast interpretation is that after the small crisis in the third quarter of 2018, the survival and increased sales for the last quarter show that the VR won't be a short fad. It is and it will remain niche for a while and it will probably shift to "self-contained" equipment like the Go. This makes perfect sense as those headsets do not require neither a PC nor a $1,000 GPU card. In the case of PSVR, it is just "plug and play" for the owners of those consoles.

It'll still take a while to become "mainstream" but it is far from dying off. Albeit the impulse will be stronger from movies (pr0n) than videogames, as the later has a major risk of sick motion.

Its a personal preference I guess. Gaming is a distant second hobby for me, after making music. Being 'alone' in VR is no issue to me, I wouldn't want any non-contributing people around when I am in my studio either.
That's my point. Having a home studio isn't mainstream either.
The arguments for consoles have always been that you can sit on your couch and play a game for short amounts of time. Using a VR headset is a completely different experience.

Paid $129 for my VR set and it has no ties with Facebook.

You are wrong about this here. The OR is already quite dated. My el-cheapo set has markedly higher quality and way more comfort and it isn't the best by any stretch of the imagination.

What vr set do you use ? This sounds mich better. Also i only have a 1050ti amd 860k, but im still curious.

What vr set do you use ? This sounds mich better. Also i only have a 1050ti amd 860k, but im still curious.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...0a20001ww_explorer_mixed_reality_headset.html

Apparantly they don't sell the thing anymore. I imported it to Europe as it sells for over E500 here, but it was dirt-cheap there (though without controllers).

That's my point. Having a home studio isn't mainstream either.
The arguments for consoles have always been that you can sit on your couch and play a game for short amounts of time. Using a VR headset is a completely different experience.

Hmm, I may be biased to some extent, true...

I specifically bought a PSVR for elite under the assumption that if it supported vr on PC....
Greetings CMDR!
Then spend 12€ at Steam for iVRy and you are set up. Runs very well at my side with a RX580 at an very, very old Xenon E3-1230 (Haswell) Board.
Only a suggestion. No camera needed. PSVR has great head tracking inside. Only a HOTAS with enough buttons X36/X45/X52 ... Or Thrustmaster Hotas X as example.
It does not matter if you have ED @STeaM or only direct from Frontier store. Will work. Hint: enable 200% Supersampling in SteamVR and ensure the 120Hz in iVRy.
We salute you!

But it's also not fun to play with other people in the same room, you can't smoke, eat and drink. You can't talk to the wife or children. You never know if someone is standing right next to you. It's like a device from a dystopian future where everyone becomes weird and antisocial and lives in an alternate reality. I don't know if that's really something for the mainstream.
Are we talking about VR or cellphones?

Greetings CMDR!
Then spend 12€ at Steam for iVRy and you are set up. Runs very well at my side with a RX580 at an very, very old Xenon E3-1230 (Haswell) Board.
Only a suggestion. No camera needed. PSVR has great head tracking inside. Only a HOTAS with enough buttons X36/X45/X52 ... Or Thrustmaster Hotas X as example.
It does not matter if you have ED @STeaM or only direct from Frontier store. Will work. Hint: enable 200% Supersampling in SteamVR and ensure the 120Hz in iVRy.
We salute you!
No, I don't own a PC. I only have It on PS4 and only use one brand.i assumed that if a game had be, it had vr on everything it was released it. This isn't the case. My whole living room cost less than a gaming PC set for VR on elite.

But it's also not fun to play with other people in the same room, you can't smoke, eat and drink. You can't talk to the wife or children. You never know if someone is standing right next to you.

Funny, I eat and drink in my HMD, I have vaped (on my own) without issue and speak to my other half on a regular basis while in VR. I don't have children so I cannot comment on that. Like many, I tend to game with other people online not with them sitting in the same room as me which is actually more socialable due to the built in mic so people tend to actually talk, usually and much like if I'm watching a movie my focus will be on the medium not on the people in the same room as me so wearing a HMD or not has little to no impact.

(Ewwww smoking indoors... filthy and very anti-social)

Funny, I eat and drink in my HMD, I have vaped (on my own) without issue and speak to my other half on a regular basis while in VR. I don't have children so I cannot comment on that. Like many, I tend to game with other people online not with them sitting in the same room as me which is actually more socialable due to the built in mic so people tend to actually talk, usually and much like if I'm watching a movie my focus will be on the medium not on the people in the same room as me so wearing a HMD or not has little to no impact.

(Ewwww smoking indoors... filthy and very anti-social)
So do you believe that the majority of players will use VR in 5 years?

Top Bottom