VR or not to VR that is my question......

Yes VR still needs some work (i.e. fov, res, framerate optimizations), but even with it's todays (temporary) shortcomings, there is NO G WAY I AM EVER GOING BACK to boring 2D monitor(and I'm talking about a 50" monitor). Imagine when they improve VR even further!! I Have lost complete interest on playing anything on flat 2dimensional world!
If VR technology were to suddenly come to a total halt and VR equipment/software no longer available to the public, I would simply stop gaming altogether! PERIOD.!

Last edited:
I got an CV1, new PC, 1080, X-56, and a flightstand all the same time in order to play Elite. It was a bit frustrating at first to learn the game, tune it, and make sense of the different settings on the oculus and the game. I ended up splitting some time between playing Elite on the monitor and then VR as I was working through things.

Now that I have everything mostly setup, I much prefer the VR experience. The immersion is great. If you have a 1080 or better you can tweak the pixel density to 1.8 and it looks much better than default -- especially the HUD. Very happy with my purchase now that it's all pretty much configured.

It's great in-game. I have to sort some bindings to solve galaxy map needing the mouse which of course doesn't work at all well with the headset on. Oh the other thing, wearing the headset in the summer, hot hot hot...

It's great in-game. I have to sort some bindings to solve galaxy map needing the mouse which of course doesn't work at all well with the headset on. Oh the other thing, wearing the headset in the summer, hot hot hot...

Sorting the galaxy map was the most challenging for me. From what I can tell, there's multiple things ppl have done to make this work. Going top down and enabling the grid in the menu is what made it work for me. Then I use the mini-sticks on the x56 with the trigger and hats for selecting.

I presume nex generation VR regarding resolution will be a huge load on CPU, GPU and MB.
For most users it will be a {too big ?} big investment therefore the profit for developers is low;
I think we have to wait a while for this nex gen.
For the time being I am happy with my rift CV1. I am 62 and who knows when a better one is to come :D

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Glad to see a happy user; I am interested too because of the easyness of use.

I bet PC component makers are thanking God for VR. What with everyone buying smart phones and tablets for most of their computing needs, Microsoft had to stop making sloppy bloated piles of crap for operating systems. Desktop computers stopped being driven forward by the need to run Windows and PC progress became pointless.

VR gives a whole new life to x86 and the PC. Now there is actually a reason improve PC performance :D

Had my Rift for just over a week now and I'm beginning to wish I'd gone for the Vive. I've lost count of the mumber of times I've had to reboot to get my Joystick Curves working again (or sometimes I'm lucky and I can just restart Joystick Curves rather than the whole PC), or reinstall my Logitech Gaming Software to get my G27 wheel working properly again. Thought I'd cracked it today by ditching the Xbox controller dongle, but no such luck. Then there's the whole locked-into-Oculus-Home-if-you-want-the-whole-thing-to-work-smoothly scenario, and by that I mean stopping or starting the Oculus service depending if you want to play in 2D or VR mode, manually switching your audio source for anything not launched from Oculus Home, and a whole host of other faffs.

It's an amazing experience when it's all working, but I just know that I'll give it another week before it just becomes too laborious to bother with.

Turns out I might have to buy a dedicated four-port USB3 card if I want the sensor to continue tracking reliably too. Or just keep stopping and restarting the service to reset it instead.

It's sort of putting me off playing the game altogether at the moment, because 2D just ain't good enough for me any more :( and I just can't face putting the HMD back on and hoping it'll all work without my thrusters failing, or suddenly finding I can't drive my SRV any more without having to quit the game to fix it and start it up again...

Last edited:
Hi Mate,

I'm a happy Vive user and I'm sure the good people here can help you get the Oculus working just as you want. I'm just posting about the G27 issue you mentioned, what's happening? There's a relatively common issue whereby it gets detected at a 'GT Driving Force,' messing up all your controls. There's a few 'fixes' for this.

I can't help with the other stuff but keep at it, as you've seen ED in VR is a new level of awesome

Had my Rift for just over a week now and I'm beginning to wish I'd gone for the Vive. I've lost count of the mumber of times I've had to reboot to get my Joystick Curves working again (or sometimes I'm lucky and I can just restart Joystick Curves rather than the whole PC), or reinstall my Logitech Gaming Software to get my G27 wheel working properly again. Thought I'd cracked it today by ditching the Xbox controller dongle, but no such luck. Then there's the whole locked-into-Oculus-Home-if-you-want-the-whole-thing-to-work-smoothly scenario, and by that I mean stopping or starting the Oculus service depending if you want to play in 2D or VR mode, manually switching your audio source for anything not launched from Oculus Home, and a whole host of other faffs.

It's an amazing experience when it's all working, but I just know that I'll give it another week before it just becomes too laborious to bother with.

Turns out I might have to buy a dedicated four-port USB3 card if I want the sensor to continue tracking reliably too. Or just keep stopping and restarting the service to reset it instead.

It's sort of putting me off playing the game altogether at the moment, because 2D just ain't good enough for me any more :( and I just can't face putting the HMD back on and hoping it'll all work without my thrusters failing, or suddenly finding I can't drive my SRV any more without having to quit the game to fix it and start it up again...

You might have some luck in disabling USB power saving via the registry.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2900614

Thanks for that. I was looking for it in the advanced power management settings but could only enable or disable it for the whole hub, which is weird since in Windows 10 it's called Selective Suspend, and the whole point of it is to work on a per-port basis. I've amended it in the registry and will see if that fixes the tracking issue. I've also read that the Rift has issues with the ASMedia USB controller so it might be worth buying a dedicated USB3 card for it in the end. They're hardly expensive.

Hi Mate,
There's a relatively common issue whereby it gets detected at a 'GT Driving Force,' messing up all your controls. There's a few 'fixes' for this.

I can't help with the other stuff but keep at it, as you've seen ED in VR is a new level of awesome

Yeah, I discovered this issue when the Anniversary update dropped in on me, and I thought I'd fixed it when I told windows to stop automatically updating my drivers. Seems the Oculus software has made some radical under-the-bonnet changes to my power management settings, and my drivers are all getting messed up again. You fix one thing and it upsets the other. The Wheel Driver Cleaner is a new one on me though, so I'll give that a go. At the very least is sounds easier than reinstalling the whole lot every time.

Thanks chaps. I've also just uninstalled ED from Oculus Home and have reinstalled the original launcher. Oculus Home didn't really make anything that much easier and just seems to add a level of complexity that's not necessary. I've also set the Oculus Runtime service to manual and will only fire it up as required.

Don't get me wrong though - it's all worth it when you see just how immense everything is from inside the game, rather than looking at it though a 24-inch window.

EDIT: it's definitley the XBox controller that's breaking Joystick Curves. No Steam VR for me then, 'cos that requires an Xinput controller to work.

Last edited:
Wow thats all very positive....

Do we think its worth waiting for GEN2, anyone know when that might be? I'm still upgrading the GPU anyway but i have found a company that rents them out, might rent a unit to have ago and see if i can't nail down a next gen date, i'll buy it now and then they'll release a new one after Christmas probably

I would wait at least some months to see how are the VR supported by microsoft.

I have a HTC Vive and cannot see the point in playing any other game or playing anything other than ED
I use x56, 7.1 Headphones and Voice Attack with my Vive and immersion is total - like another CMDR says, its hard to explain the absolute difference this technology makes to the Game, the deffrence is like steam power and nuclear power, bycycle and rocket ship, mincemeat and fillet steak. I could ponder on for hours about how good it is but just take my word for it - Do Not Wait, Get It NOW

Also - I wear Glasses and the HTC Vive has cutouts in the Headset to accomodate Glasses :)

If you are in the UK and near a town called Bolton - you could always bob into Scan (www.scan.co.uk) and ask for the Demo - they have a Vive Setup and ready to play ED there in the store

Eric

Last edited:
To me, ED in VR is what David Braben wanted. In VR you get 1:1 rendering in flawless 3D. Meaning that everything is the size the developers intended it to be, in the context they intended it to be. Just emerging into the docking hall of a starport cannot ever be redone on a monitor.

I never got that impression of size on a monitor - in VR the scale is mind boggling. Just the SRV is actually huge - probably the same size as a Luton van. On a monitor it looks tiny. The Python I fly is about the same size as a short haul passenger jet. God knows how big a Beluga would look!

I'm playing Adr1ft at the moment as well. That game also looks incredible in VR. I used to play ED in 4k but never again.

First of all ... YES, go VR - it's absolutely stunning. Once you've experienced Elite in VR you can never un-experience it. As others have said it's the difference between looking AT Elite (and that's true no matter what size screen you've got, even if you're running some multi-screen, multi-thousand pound simpit setup) and being IN Elite.

That said ...

Looks like I'm gonna be the voice of dissent. I've been playing Elite via 2k and 3k screens since 1.0 and recently got the CV1 specifically for Elite as everyone says it's da bomb!

I gave it a good go over a span of two weeks, annnnnnd I'm back to my monitors. The moment it loaded up on my monitor again, I was amazed by how beautiful, clear, and vivid the image was! I had forgotten just how great Elite looks with Ultra settings on a high-end screen.

... ^^^ this is also true. Personally (and I think I'm in a slight minority here) I tend to switch back and forth between the two. When I switch back to playing on the monitor I'm amazed at the sparkling clarity and beautiful dynamic colours of the image and when I switch into Oculus I'm blown away by the total immersion. Yes, I really wish I could have the best of both worlds but until that day (and personally I don't think it's worth waiting - if you've got the money go VR now, it's here, it's really happening and you could be dead tomorrow) I'm really really happy that I took the plunge.

Top Bottom