Vr settings.

Greetings cmdr's...

Question to the VR cmdr's.
What ingame settings do u use ?
I have problems reading the comms texting like it's to blur.

Pc specs are

Cpu i5 8400
Gpu 1060 6gb

Fly dangerous o7.

Which HMD are you using, that might be a useful detail?

I've used both an Oculus Rift CV1 and Vive, but I've not had to make an in-game changes other than choosing to use VR in the first place. Under graphics options you can change the VR quality, perhaps you have yours on Low? Certainly I can read the top left panel with the comms chat in it.

Adjusting the supersampling can help with blurry text. I would recommend using the built in VR quality settings first; use the best one your rig can cope with

Been using a rift S now since Christmas.
Settings as follows.
Supersampling set to 1
All quality on either high or ultra except terrain which you should start on low and krank up as u go. Do this alone don't mix n match change one setting at a time.
Hmd on 1.50. Crisp as crystal.
Blur OFF
ambient occlusion on low krank up again on its own till your happy.
o7

Rift CV1? Or Rift S? Text will be blurry in CV1 or other first generation HMD. Changing hud colour from orange did help a bit on the vive.

There used to be HMD Quality slider which should be set to at least 1.25, but there are other contributing factors like supersampling value set in Rift software.

I will try Dr Kaii's ED Profiler.
But i was just in multi crew whit a cmdr ho has the same issue whit the rift CV1.
But then he went up to the Rift S and the blur is gone. So is it the Rift CV1 ho has trouble whit ED...

Last edited:
I will try Dr Kaii's ED Profiler.
But i was just in multi crew whit a cmdr ho has the same issue whit the rift CV1.
But then he went up to the Rift S and the blur is gone. So is it the Rift CV1 ho has trouble whit ED...

Welcome to the amazing ED VR experience! =D

It's not that the CV1 has problems with ED, it's that the CV1 is very old and has a much lower resolution than the Rift S. While some things are alright in the game, text generally won't be too clear. I started playing this on the CV1, and the difference between it and more modern headsets with higher resolutions like the Vive Pro (same res as the Rift S) was simply night and day.

One thing I will mention: for some reason many of the VR settings presets in this game turn on AntiAliasing, and will sometimes set it to SMAA. Turn that off!! ED's in-game AA utterly destroys the sharpness and quality of the picture in VR, and the simple act of just disabling it will make such a drastic improvement in the quality of your headset's image that you would hardly believe it.

Once you've done that and tried it out, if you still have some blurriness then I'd personally set SuperSampling to 1.0 or maybe 1.25, HMD quality to 1.0, then go into SteamVR settings and start upping the resolution there. It can't increase the actual resolution you're seeing beyond what the headset can physically render, but what it will do is generate the image at a higher res and then downscale to your headset, which does add some clarity to the image. Doing this via SteamVR as opposed to in-game is a bit more performant.

Good luck!

Adjusting the supersampling can help with blurry text. I would recommend using the built in VR quality settings first; use the best one your rig can cope with

Nope. Supersampling is not the parameter to tweak, it's only good for pancake version anti-aliasing, or so I've been told. To use downscaled larger resolution and get things a bit more readable, I used HMD Image Quality and set it to 1.25. Here's EDProfiler, a nice utility to tweak and launch ED. I also got the HUD color in blue green so fonts are a bit more sharp.
1590249891001.png

Aside from supersampling, as Morgan Grimes says general advice is that green HUDs are best for VR (not that I follow it personally).

Top Bottom