VR support 'not at launch' for Odyssey

I think they put a reasonable amount of effort into the VR implementation, but the whole team worked on it for some time. I'm very confident the Fdev could do that or even a better job, but again it will take time.

People keep talking about the 100 person team in ED, which they very likely have, but only certain people will be able to work on a VR implementation from that team, and we don't know how their current work schedule is.

I also got tired of the comparisons of NMS and Fdev development. It's just silly. How long do they think it takes to design one of the very simplistic ships in NMS compared to any of the ships in ED. It's not even a close comparison.

All the textures in NMS are very basic compared to ED, and ED textures are only going to get better in the next update due to more levels of LOD.

The missions system in NMS is as basic as it gets.

But I have absolutely nothing against people liking NMS, but trying to compare the development for them is just ludicrous.

I agree with you there, sure there's probably 100+ working on Odyssey, but looking at Elite's graphics, and its sound, you can bet your bottom dollar a good proportion of the team will be the GFX & SFX people. Then whittle away more of the 100+ team into back end stuff, like net-code, server and there are even less team members to "borrow" for VR, mix in a couple of designers rather than coders, put in some specializations like NPC programming like Sarah Jane Avery did for space ship flying NPC's - but this time doing driving and perambulating NPC's, a bit of project admin/management...

And we are back to needing a "Greg"

I think that with conformation of VR headlook in Odyssey on foot and in vehicle, and I'd be happy, especially if:

I'm not interested in a FPS either. But I'm interested in FPP play where combat may happen.
I really don't want a run and gun shooter for Elite, I want a first person roleplaying game like GTA or Cyberpunk with spaceships

Both of these titles have a great deal of appeal for me, but Steam is a hard no sell for me.

It could be the best game that could ever exist, a constant full body orgasm fulfilling every need, want, and fantasy of mine, and it could be free...but if installing Steam were the price, the cost would be too high.

I'm not sure if Infininty: Battlescape is Steam only yet, but I get the feeling it will be when it launches.
I share your enthusiasm for Battlescape, but I'm genuinely puzzled whats behind your hostility to Steam? Especially given not using steam for VR limits you to Oculus hardware?

True...
This meets the classic definition more though...
View attachment 180002

Of course, I expect you to disagree with this too :)
NMS has a very distinct "visual style" which to be honest put me off the game, I genuinely could not see past the cartoonish aesthetic.

The skyline is very Art Deco:
f05483028878fe9037a6d2f0d46444d5.png

00769e11476083.560f84e4741ed.JPG

But the visual style of the foreground is more kiddies game, the screenshot Wayland posted reminds me of when my kids used to play Skylanders

831-skylanders-imaginators-screenshot-1466605500_1466605500.jpg

Rather than elite's as realistic as possible style:
104493x1823.jpg

I share your enthusiasm for Battlescape, but I'm genuinely puzzled whats behind your hostility to Steam? Especially given not using steam for VR limits you to Oculus hardware?

My main complaints are DRM, licensing, and business model related, not with the client software itself (though I still won't install it on my main system...and can't use my Acer WMR headset on my main system anyway, because I won't put Windows 10 on it). Using SteamVR for what I consider to be an optional component (if it requires software the game doesn't provide, it's optional) isn't the same thing as having purchased or tied a title to Steam and I don't need to buy anything through Valve/Steam or tie an Elite: Dangerous account to Steam to use Steam VR with Elite: Dangerous.

I agree with you there, sure there's probably 100+ working on Odyssey, but looking at Elite's graphics, and its sound, you can bet your bottom dollar a good proportion of the team will be the GFX & SFX people. Then whittle away more of the 100+ team into back end stuff, like net-code, server and there are even less team members to "borrow" for VR, mix in a couple of designers rather than coders, put in some specializations like NPC programming like Sarah Jane Avery did for space ship flying NPC's - but this time doing driving and perambulating NPC's, a bit of project admin/management...

And we are back to needing a "Greg"
I think that ED should have its own dedicated small VR team. But I don't make the decisions.

I think that with conformation of VR headlook in Odyssey on foot and in vehicle, and I'd be happy, especially if:
Or something similar. I'm not sure how easy that would be. But I will always push for a separate Horizons+ client that allows horizons and odyssey owners to fly and drive around all planets available from those expansions.

I really don't want a run and gun shooter for Elite, I want a first person roleplaying game like GTA or Cyberpunk with spaceships
Neither do. I don't expect anything as deep as GTA or Cyberpunk, but I would would like some RPG lite stuff though. Doesn't have to uber deep as we already have the space ship and SRV part that will already adds depth to the game.

So, on the topic of FPS VR...

Half-Life 2 does have a few preset "modes" for VR (easily cycled with the command "vr_cycle_aim_move_mode"). Mode 7 allows for full mouselook aiming, but it removes VR headlook completely making it nearly unplayable. I have to keep my head perfectly still to do it, which is really difficult to do. Tip head to the side = whole world tips over. Mode 7 + headlook is what it needs... how did they miss something so obvious? I find it amazing that Valve, being so involved with VR, could fail this badly.

So message for FDev: Take a look at Half-Life 2's built in VR. This is an example of what NOT to do.

So message for FDev: Take a look at Half-Life 2's built in VR. This is an example of what NOT to do.

Ok this is peak thread 😄

Oh god I thought you meant Alyx for a minute 😄

Yeah fair play, mouse head look like that is pretty poor.

I find it amazing that Valve, being so involved with VR, could fail this badly.

But it’s a mod though right? Using legacy VR functions in Source or something, but not like a pro Valve release or anything.

Last edited:
There's that old Oculus DK-era official VR support, which Valve implemented back in the day and left to rot. You can still activate it and it works (sort of) with modern headsets if you do a bit of tweaking. (TF2 and HL2DM also have it)

The default mode actually had partially decoupled aiming (using the mouse) If you want motion controls you need the now discontinued Razer Hydra.

I think most people who play HL2 in VR would do so using VorpX, though. It's less of a headache getting to work, for one thing.

My main complaints are DRM, licensing, and business model related, not with the client software itself (though I still won't install it on my main system...and can't use my Acer WMR headset on my main system anyway, because I won't put Windows 10 on it). Using SteamVR for what I consider to be an optional component (if it requires software the game doesn't provide, it's optional) isn't the same thing as having purchased or tied a title to Steam and I don't need to buy anything through Valve/Steam or tie an Elite: Dangerous account to Steam to use Steam VR with Elite: Dangerous.

When you put it like that I can understand it. I've got a couple of gripes relating to steam & it's DRM. I do think it was an incredibly astute move by valve to make steam the defacto platform for all non oculus VR, so I see what you are saying , but the "optional" software, someone more pedantic could say direct x is optional software... Although a gentle reminder that direct X isn't present in PS or XB versions of the games so meh!

Honestly at 104 pages, y'all are literally repeating the same ad nauseum. You don't need over 100 pages to say "waaa we want VR or no buy."

We get it. The official Odyssey announcement thread is literally coming on 1000 pages of the same "waa waa 1% of VR players are butthurt waaa". We don't need a second one here. If Odyssey having no VR pushes you out of the game, then leave. The majority of players will be happier without you giving us a collective headache with your repetitive whinging.

Honestly at 104 pages, y'all are literally repeating the same ad nauseum. You don't need over 100 pages to say "waaa we want VR or no buy."

We get it. The official Odyssey announcement thread is literally coming on 1000 pages of the same "waa waa 1% of VR players are butthurt waaa". We don't need a second one here. If Odyssey having no VR pushes you out of the game, then leave. The majority of players will be happier without you giving us a collective headache with your repetitive whinging.

I'm impressed that you know what the "majority of players" feel. I wish my telepathic and empathic powers were as good as yours.

Perhaps you should stop reading these threads and then your headaches may go away. Perhaps even the "collective headaches" will go away. Let us all know if that works. ;)

Page count alone is no indicator. The Powerplay threads regarding Open Powerplay and other changes were 79 pages + 30 odd (flash topics I +II).

Exactly!!! Power play was a landmark feature. And the number of pages demonstrated that people felt very strongly about it and had issues with it.

It’s such a shame that power play was never expanded beyond the 1 JPG per power, single “power commodity” and no integration with BGS.

If nobody gave two squirts of Leestian Evil Juice about it there would have been a couple of replies at best.

It’s a beer for the beer gods, then, that you’re a person of no importance and little influence here, isn’t it? Would hate It if you were in charge of something and we’re able to dictate what others could and couldn’t say in a public forum.

If something gets your goat, here’s a concept... move on. It’s not 100 or 1000 threads, after all.

Exactly!!! Power play was a landmark feature. And the number of pages demonstrated that people felt very strongly about it and had issues with it.

It’s such a shame that power play was never expanded beyond the 1 JPG per power, single “power commodity” and no integration with BGS.

If nobody gave two squirts of Leestian Evil Juice about it there would have been a couple of replies at best.

We will have to see what FD are up to, but they are not doing any favours by hiding updates to current features. Just by saying- feature X Y and Z are seeing updates would be enough. As far as VR, really a dev diary about the reasons why and going into the background work would be good because then you can see whats going on.

I don't want to have to wait 8 months for the Odyssey patch notes to find out Powerplay has either been ignored again or had a single change.

The same holds true for Elite Dangerous and in fairness to NMS, it was a console game funded Sony as opposed to a Kickstarter pitch.

Yeah, I got the term wrong. However, it does remind at points of the 1950s art style.

sorry, but I think what you mean is the comic style era of the late 50s and 60. The archetypal space race fiction.
Art Deco was in the 1920.

What would you rather talk about then? Fdevs terrible communications, the state of Powerplay, why their netcode still sucks (it's the players fault for not having magical broadband), multicrew still sucking, the shock at how many people have brought into Fleet Carriers, the grinding?
You just let us know and we will be there for you. If everyone could stop discussing the lack of VR at launch (in a thread about no VR support at launch no less) then Mogen Teras would be extremely grateful.

The thing is, this thread could have been closer to 10 pages if Fdevs responded with real answers. Not a word on the livestreams either. If they arent prepared to acknowledge 100+ pages something is really wrong.
don't worry, any answer they had provided would have raised another 100 pages thread circling around the same 10 users complaining about everything.

Last edited:
Top Bottom