VR support 'not at launch' for Odyssey

The problem is, I don't think Frontier cares. The removal of the ADS and Frontier's offhand dismissal of both player angst and the loss of much of their loyal fan base did nothing to change their mind (and bringing back the ADS as a separate, optional module would have been TRIVIAL),

That's a bit overblown isn't it? 'Loss of much of their loyal fan base'?

I think if that had indeed been the fallout they woulda reversed squirrel pretty hard ;)

The way I remember it there were some obvious attempts at 'care' during the process too. (If I recall right Adam B-W mentioned how they'd categorised different types of explorer playtype, landing on about 20 different styles I think, and tried to accommodate them all in the new system). Obviously they failed at that 😄. But the intent does mean something.)

I don't think it really helps to go to full black or white extremes. I'm sure they want to make a good game, and provide fan service in the process. I'm sure they want to make money too. Both can be true.

(It could totally be the case for VR that they do want to deliver a 'quality experience' on the Legs front, as they intimate. Or at least one that isn't poo ;))

Last edited:
You may notice I am careful to direct my criticism at the corporate entity, not its employees, whom I have professional admiration for.
Likewise, I do try to reflect my exasperation at the Frontier executives rather those actually working on the game.

I know a LOT of players who quit the game because of the FSS. Being dismissive of them while expecting everyone to care about VR is highly hypocritical. Heck, I own VR, and yet your attitude makes me care less about your little crusade.
I will readily admit I saw the ADS vs FSS debate as being unnecessary as I considered the FSS to be better than the ADS jump and honk mechanism but recognise everyone has their preferences.

I know a LOT of players who quit the game because of the FSS. Being dismissive of them while expecting everyone to care about VR is highly hypocritical. Heck, I own VR, and yet your attitude makes me care less about your little crusade.

I'm not being dismissive. I'm just suggesting you may be overstating the ratio of players affected. I don't doubt your anecdotes, or that it's aggravating to those involved. (I'm just thinking that if the exodus was as widespread as you stated then it would be reflected in Steam stats and the like).

I'd also take issue with anyone who stated that the VR farago would lead to 'loss of much of their loyal fan base'. So I don't think I'm being hypocritical. I just don't think overblown language helps generally. ¯\(ツ)

That's a bit overblown isn't it? 'Loss of much of their loyal fan base'?

I think if that had indeed been the fallout they woulda reversed squirrel pretty hard ;)

The way I remember it there were some obvious attempts at 'care' during the process too. (If I recall right Adam B-W mentioned how they'd categorised different types of explorer playtype, landing on about 20 different styles I think, and tried to accommodate them all in the new system). Obviously they failed at that 😄. But the intent does mean something.)
In that same appraisal the also said they knew that 'some' exploration styles would not be accommodated...

Likewise, I doubt that a significant number of players stopped playing permanently because of the change otherwise Frontier would have had to re-appraise the situation. Granted, for the ones who have stayed, despite their loathing of the new system and having a part of the game they used to enjoy marred, the current system is still unpalatable - but they still play, which is good.

Not adding VR to a new bit of development does not count as regression
but I am sure that throwing stones at the developers will help incentivise them to change their mind.

That largely depends on how things develop – there may come a time when 2D gaming is considered as quaint and archaic as Pacman. A few people here have attested to the fact that it’s quite difficult to return to 2D gaming after spending significant time in VR. From that perspective, removing such a successful implementation from the game rather than innovating and building on it may prove to be a deeply regressive move.

I don’t think it’s accurate to say that they’ve simply refrained from adding VR to Odyssey - it appears that they’ve actively chosen a development path which excludes or makes VR difficult. It needn’t have been that way, and for what? That remains to be seen, but it’s possible that we’ll see a rather lame FPS annexed to a space flight sim, rather than the fully integrated legs that most of us envisaged. It might make very minor inroads into the already saturated FPS market and generate a few quid, but it doesn’t strike me as a particularly visionary move.

Personally I think that David’s expressed views on the future of VR are misjudged, especially its supposed anti-social nature. A developer that I know spent lock-down developing virtual music venues to allow people to perform, interact and enjoy live music together during the pandemic and it was very successful. Who knows what place VR will occupy in the future. Besides, “escape” is one of the most potent aspects of the medium – we’re getting to the point where artists can weave dreams which can be directly experienced by others. I don’t think that David is among the vanguard of thinkers on the subject unfortunately.

Then again, there may always be more money in enabling teenagers to endlessly shoot each other in the head on increasingly hi-def 2D monitors, and VR may never truly take off.

In that same appraisal the also said they knew that 'some' exploration styles would not be accommodated...

Likewise, I doubt that a significant number of players stopped playing permanently because of the change otherwise Frontier would have had to re-appraise the situation. Granted, for the ones who have stayed, despite their loathing of the new system and having a part of the game they used to enjoy marred, the current system is still unpalatable - but they still play, which is good.

I personally won't stop playing (maybe) but I am taking a break since they have announced no Vr support at launch. I feel very frustrated by their actions.

The fact they can't shed any light on the topic is very insulting. I've been led to believe that Vr was always a part of Elite future since the start. I refuse to buy any more merch or store products.

I'm kinda mad I even bought all of Frontier's games. Cause I don't even play them. I just bought them to support the company. What's the point when they can't even take the time to respect the player base.

At this point I also wish I wasn't a pass holder. Why show them respect when they can't do the same in return. Sad way to run a company. Even the new Community Manager won't even come to this thread to shed any light on the topic and to me that shows how much they really care about Elite Vr players.

End of the day this is how I feel. As a person that has only played Elite in Vr and never in 2d this has been by far the most disrespectful company I've ever followed and I even play Fallout so that says a lot.

I'm not being dismissive. I'm just suggesting you may be overstating the ratio of players affected. I don't doubt your anecdotes, or that it's aggravating to those involved. (I'm just thinking that if the exodus was as widespread as you stated then it would be reflected in Steam stats and the like).

I'd also take issue with anyone who stated that the VR farago would lead to 'loss of much of their loyal fan base'. So I don't think I'm being hypocritical. I just don't think overblown language helps generally. ¯\(ツ)
Okay, I see where you're coming from. Fair enough!

but I am sure that throwing stones at the developers will help incentivise them to change their mind.
To be fair, I think changes to the mission generator is one of the things that will be handed down to Horizons - it does not make sense to use a different one between these. Any mission requiring new content will be Odyssey only of course - like it is now with all missions requiring planetary landings and thus Horizons.

It appears that dropping VR was not the only feature to Cut out of EDO.

I know what you mean, but I do think that there’s a risk that FD might be losing sight of what the core fans of the game actually want from it. Obviously, so much is unrevealed at the moment so it’s all conjecture, but from what I gather many existing players are more concerned with being able to walk around their ships than engaging in competitive FPS play (perhaps I’m wrong?), and there’s no confirmation of the former yet. Certainly, in my case space-legs was always about a greater sense of place and immersion, of actually existing in the world rather than a narrow gameplay opportunity. Ditching VR seems like a move away from that kind of emphasis. We’re not really the general gaming crowd I don’t think… perhaps that’s the issue ;).

I know what you mean, but I do think that there’s a risk that FD might be losing sight of what the core fans of the game actually want from it. Obviously, so much is unrevealed at the moment so it’s all conjecture, but from what I gather many existing players are more concerned with being able to walk around their ships than engaging in competitive FPS play (perhaps I’m wrong?), and there’s no confirmation of the former yet. Certainly, in my case space-legs was always about a greater sense of place and immersion, of actually existing in the world rather than a narrow gameplay opportunity. Ditching VR seems like a move away from that kind of emphasis. We’re not really the general gaming crowd I don’t think… perhaps that’s the issue ;).

I went and played Star Citizen cause it seems Elite is heading this way and I must say it wasn't made for me. Lasted 5 mins.

Not into FPS space games but like you I'd rather walk around ships and Fleet Carrier first and fix the mass amounts of bugs and boring exploration. Add some love to multi crew and Srv's .
What do I know though I'm just one dude that enjoyed Elite while it was good.

Sure it does. Unless of course they add it later on. I can understand getting Odyssey up and running and then adding VR but no VR at all is a step backwards a rather large one I might add.

To be fair, I think changes to the mission generator is one of the things that will be handed down to Horizons - it does not make sense to use a different one between these. Any mission requiring new content will be Odyssey only of course - like it is now with all missions requiring planetary landings and thus Horizons.
The mission system is quite flawed regarding separation between dlc owners and non dlc owners. A few of my friends who dont own Horizons complain they frequently get surface based mission offers. Im sure it will be the same for non Odyssey owners. For example, they state they receive countless assassination missions that require them to scan a surface installation which they cant access to aquire a targets location. As im sure most of us have Horizons this has been largely unnoticed.

Craith

Volunteer Moderator
The mission system is quite flawed regarding separation between dlc owners and non dlc owners. A few of my friends who dont own Horizons complain they frequently get surface based mission offers. Im sure it will be the same for non Odyssey owners. For example, they state they receive countless assassination missions that require them to scan a surface installation which they cant access to aquire a targets location. As im sure most of us have Horizons this has been largely unnoticed.
I agree - I just meant to say that we will probably get any changes to the mission system (including missions we can't complete)

I have been reading your posts for a while but after reading your statement " little crusade " I have lost all respect for your opinions.
Is your VR the type you strap your phone to your head because if you really tried Elite in VR you probably would have a higher understanding what it brings to the gamming experience.

Other companies are looking at VR with a different set of values than Frontier.

It has been reported that Microsoft Flight Simulator developers has the set the highest priorities to including VR, bravo for the Devs to come out and say they see the value of including VR to their Sim and wanting to make it happen.

There is also talk about Rockstar working on a AAA VR game.

I thought that Frontiers development of the “New Era” could be the poster child for VR but it looks like Microsoft or Rockstar may have to be the torch carriers.

PS off topic
I find the FSS a great improvement, now I can scan all the planets without flying to them and finding Bio and Geo sites is very cool

PSS
I recently found a New Guardian Ruin using the FSS
DROKOE FU-O B39-0 BODY C7

Last edited:
Frontier's problem is that they seem to be chasing the casual demographic at the expense of their core customers. The problem is casual customers move on to the next fad very quickly, leaving you with your (rather depleted) core.

I completely agree I have countless games that I have bough over the years and don't play anymore, all the Call for Duty series and many more.
My FPS games were good only till the next hot title came out and I would switch.
the only game I spent more than 50-60 hours playing is Skyrim that I now own a VR copy of.
After playing Elite Dangerous in VR for now 4 years and over 3000 hours I haven't bought a single Flat Screen game.
(Two accounts both triple Elite)
I saved hundreds on game sales over the last 4 years (LOL)

Last edited:
Top Bottom