VR support 'not at launch' for Odyssey

Look, guys, I was looking forward to fly my space ship through thunderstorms in VR, between clouds and lightnings, acid raindrops running down my windscreen. I was looking forward to drive my SRV under a blue (or green, or red) sky, a barely visible gas giant hanging over me - in VR, as if I were there in real life.

This experience is, what defines Elite: Dangerous for me.
This is, what made me purchase an expensive HOTAS (twice) and a high class foot pedals in addition to my Oculus Rift. The VR experience is so good, it easily justified the substantial spendings.

I always was in the “atmospheric landings” faction, when it came to discussions, whether we want this or “space legs”.
Apparently, my concerns were justified.
Your decision was, to implement the later, as it seems. But as you had to scrap VR to make it possible, you took the wrong junction, in my opinion.
Unfortunately, I will not be able to follow the path ahead together with you.

There is still lots of space left, on my SSD. As long as it isn’t needed for other games, I will keep ED installed.
Waiting.
Hoping.

And IF you guys live up to your ... promis(?) and add VR at some point after launch, I will hasten down the new path, trying to catch up, screaming at you to wait for me. I sincerely hope, the gap will not be too large, as I am not young any more and long running distances are a thing of my past.

I wish you good look and sincerely hope, we’ll meet again ...
But until then: Farewell!

(There is a lot of drama in this post, I know. But this just makes me sad and I had to express it. Sorry.)

Last edited:
This is a mistake as huge as the lack of VR support LOL

1591304817256.png

Removed from Wishlist. Absolutely asinine that they wouldn't at least maintain in-ship VR. I could see them saying "space legs is excluded from the VR experience until we can determine if it is feasible to implement". But not even allowing us to fly on the atmospheric planets in VR?

Forget about it. I am done being jebaited by fdev. And I am sure glad I didn't get ripped off with the lifetime pass like many of my friends.

No VR = No Buy. And since fdev has showed their distinct lack of care and consideration for their loyal fans, and the very people who fronted the money to make the game possible in the first place, I won't be allowing anymore household money to go towards fdev products - including all the jurrassic world DLC my son wanted, and the other games that fdev makes.

Unless and until fdev changes course on this, I will be voting with my wallet.

Removed from Wishlist. Absolutely asinine that they wouldn't at least maintain in-ship VR. I could see them saying "space legs is excluded from the VR experience until we can determine if it is feasible to implement". But not even allowing us to fly on the atmospheric planets in VR?
I'm not ready to give up hope on this just yet. It's early enough that Frontier could still give us VR in the cockpit and use some other mechanism (even if it's simply disabling the "disembark" button when in VR) to make it clear that space legs are not supported in VR. I've seen games in Steam listed as "partially supports VR", which ED could do with this DLC if they are convinced by our collective pleas.

Last edited:
if you had listened to today’s twitch stream, you would have heard Tim say as much.
I have also included a copy to his forum post backing up his statement.

Soon isn’t time bound.
Frontier have acknowledged the mass hysteria generated by the small percentage of VR players who are feeling that they have been personally slighted and feel justified in acting like two year olds, throwing tantrums.

Mass hysteria? Throwing tantrums? Have we read the same threads? I saw nothing of the sort, merely some people who said, "No VR, no deal." I'm in the same camp, as it's my money, my taste, my decision. I do, however, wish to all others that the DLC turns out to be everything they wish for.

You'll note I didn't include any sweeping assumptions and thinly veiled insults about those not agreeing with me... Not my style. I prefer to act as if I was talking to the person in real life.

I don't see why they couldn't do what other VR games have done, including Minecraft VR, where at a push of a button you can go from true VR to being in a VR room playing the game on a giant virtual TV. I didn't really expect them to have full VR support for Space Legs, which is why I have never really been interested in space legs. But just let me fly my ship in VR, and if I want to stretch my legs it just gives me a virtual 2d screen in my headset so I don't have to take it on and off and move from my custom flight chair over to my computer desk. A very easy solution that I think most VR users would be perfectly fine with.

It's still in my wishlist and will remain there....it's not they said they won't add VR support later!

Top Bottom