VR support 'not at launch' for Odyssey

Jay, he's literally just talking about getting the alpha to boot in a VR compliant mode. The way you've been playing with it. No ARX bundles are gonna fly I'm afraid ;)
Hummph!!! Way to burst my bubble mister golgot! I'll bet you delight in mythbusting Santa Claus, The Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy to little kids!

Banter aside, I am actually disappointed, I had hoped Epoch had stumbled across the "VR back door" your thread is asking for. Still gonna try it, just in case phase four has some easter eggs for us boxheads.
[Edited to fix typos]

Last edited:
HMD relative / facegun are something I'm ambivalent at best to, you instinctively "know" where your chest is relative to your head, so you know that if your lookng left with your head, moving the thumbstick forward will create the illusion of moving to the right. I'd prefer VR headlook to work like it does for a CMDR on screen with a trackIR, where the direction of the torso is the direction of travel, and the headlook is relative to, rather than authoritave over, the direction of travel. However, the beauty of all these control scheme options is they are relatively easy to code in options to switch between them once you have the VR cam attached to the avatars neck.
  1. NMS has controller-relative free locomotion, it's the best kind of locomotion invented by Onward dev and a standard everywhere in VR right now. Facegun mode needs to be enabled in options iirc, but IDK, I'm not using that. Teleportation? Haven't used that in a long time... Notably in Alyx for sprinting because otherwise she moves like a pensioner (sorry!) and not a young girl :)
  2. Teleportation isn't bad per se, it's okay if you don't have "VR legs" (nausea resistance). IDK if that's your case @LeoBartlet ? NMS has serious "I'm on an alien planet" vibes IF you can get past the old sci-fi comic graphics and spore-like creatures :)
  3. Having played Protonwar demo as an experiment sometime ago, I'd be happy with either option (controller-relative movement, headlook movement, teleportation), if only they made it for release... Then - instabuy.
  4. I wouldn't get my hopes up for #3, at best we will get some kind of theater environment to play in. And sorry @Golgot, this "2d screen hack" is the experimental mode. I would be very surprised if that changed for release. As said - instabuy. I'm not even sure if they are aware that the steamvr environment can be changed. Same for Oculus... But that's additional work, before release, which the beancounters won't allow, for sure. Unless of course a miracle happens and they finish coding before release. Saw that happen a few times... It won't mean they would change the build though, just that they could do some "doodling" on the side for whatever topic they deem worthy. Maybe VR headlook ;-)
Heh just got an IDEA. The "TV screen burquah mode" should be in Captain's quarters on your ship on a big-ass TV! Killing ship interiors AND VR with one stone! ;-D

I think I saw few forum posters citing they don't like it. Some preferred more beautiful graphics over the 3d feel. Others were citing nausea and some just didn't appreciate the experience, like @Wrecked. Out of curiosity, why "it isn't for you"?

For reasons I don't entirely understand, ED triggers my monkey brain's fight or flight response, just slightly.. Other games don't seem to do it

I also thought i never switch back to Flat gaming in 2D.
It´s even more frustrating when blitzing with 900m/s through a canyon in Odyssey,
and then after finding a nice spot, hitting dissembark
only to be greeted by this huge grey box of a frame.. you can´t even VorpX that mess
We´ll have to wait for Fdev and see.. or.. not

Slightly off-topic - while FDev is axing VR left and right from their game ;-) Facebook bought Onward studio Downpour Interactive:

That's surely because VR is a dying platform not worth investing in 😈 Oh, FDev, FDev...

I'll see how it goes, but without VR ED is pretty to look at but pretty ordinary to play. FD's decision to effectively stop VR development for Odyssey was really a slap in the face for a lot of loyal users. I don't know the reasons, but I do get the impression that once FD locked into the console game market the PC version was almost seen as a nuisance.

... but without VR ED is pretty to look at but pretty ordinary to play.
Hear hear! Dropping VR for on foot is a huge misstep in my humble opinion esp when a <between 11 and 25 - it seems to vary> man team at Hello Games did it - amazingly WITH VR controller support (and still haven't begun charging their customers), and, I hate to harp on about it, also managed to create procgen caves whilst ALSO using a height map...
Whatever your opinions of the aesthetics of the game you cannot fault them for their speedy work ethic!

Hear hear! Dropping VR for on foot is a huge misstep in my humble opinion esp when a <between 11 and 25 - it seems to vary> man team at Hello Games did it - amazingly WITH VR controller support (and still haven't begun charging their customers), and, I hate to harp on about it, also managed to create procgen caves whilst ALSO using a height map...
Whatever your opinions of the aesthetics of the game you cannot fault them for their speedy work ethic!
They are going to fix ASAP it won't last forever.

I'll see how it goes, but without VR ED is pretty to look at but pretty ordinary to play. FD's decision to effectively stop VR development for Odyssey was really a slap in the face for a lot of loyal users. I don't know the reasons, but I do get the impression that once FD locked into the console game market the PC version was almost seen as a nuisance.
They did not decide to stop VR they just wanted to make sure the on foot experiece was up to par before they turned it loose.

Top Bottom