VR support 'not at launch' for Odyssey

Flying the Alpha Cutter in VR is better than anything Horizon. And you can bomb settlements with Packhounds. Carpet bombing is so 3304.

Ok, not a fan of the grey burkah. It should be black at least. And closer.

O7,
🙃

Initially, Odyssey wasn't going to have any VR support at all. There's still no guarantee we'll ever get it for on foot gameplay.
FD has said we will ultimately get it. Fibbing to your customers is never a good idea. Since other games have handled it quite well I don't think it will be long.

If we are trying to get VR on foot, I think it's important that we keep our thoughts in the limelight, and our expectations reasonable...

Hand controllers and the associated Inverse Kinematics to workout the configuration of the arms based on the hands and head positional date, plus networking the IK's calculated positions, plus all the modelling / coding to make things grabbable and interactive with our "Space Hands" is more work than we can reasonably ask of them at this time. However, the fact remains, the grey burquah, which initially sounded like a reasonable compromise, is an abject failure. As such we need something more from Frontier, better than the burquah, not as much work as "Space Hands".

I'm thinking VR stereoscopic head look on foot with with normal controls rather than Alyx/Boneworks hand controls, is as much as we can ask for at this time, and something they can reasonably deliver. Such a VR mode on foot would be a significant improvement over the grey burquah, but wouldn't necessarily take too much developer resources

FD has said we will ultimately get it. Fibbing to your customers is never a good idea. Since other games have handled it quite well I don't think it will be long.
I'm cautiously optimistic about that statement by Frontier, on one hand it is great to hear, and gives us some hope, on the other hand, I'd be a lot more reassured by that statement were I able to contemplate in the cockpit of one of the numerous alternative surface vehicles we were led to believe would be rolling out (boom boom) throughout Horizons, or if I were able to swap notes with PS4 CMDRS about PSVR vs PCVR in Elite.

Where can I hear this?

The statements I've heard have all been so thoroughly peppered with "if":s, and "would like to":s, that they amount to little more than: "No, but we daren't be forthright".

Where can I hear this?

The statements I've heard have all been so thoroughly peppered with "if":s, and "would like to":s, that they amount to little more than: "No, but we daren't be forthright".

Yeah they're shy of that level of certainty. The most up-to-date quotes are probably these:

Bruce G said: ...our VR plans are still as we've stated with full integration a possibility in the future but unconfirmed.
Arthur Tolmie said: However, we do strongly believe that VR should only be enabled for on foot gameplay when we have an experience that truly matches the same quality bar that we set for cockpits.
I'm really glad that we did add VR support because it's pretty awesome, it is quite an experience. Being able to run around on foot, though, is very much a different experience. We're still looking at the way that we would tackle that if we need to. Or if we decide that we think we can get a good way of doing it. And sure, like, that's something that we'll tackle, but for the moment, we have to focus on the actual main experience and getting that working the way that we really want it to feel. So on day one, there won't be any VR support. But we're not saying never, it's just we need to focus our efforts elsewhere right now. Luke Betterton - Game Designer

I'm cautiously optimistic about that statement by Frontier, on one hand it is great to hear, and gives us some hope, on the other hand, I'd be a lot more reassured by that statement were I able to contemplate in the cockpit of one of the numerous alternative surface vehicles we were led to believe would be rolling out (boom boom) throughout Horizons, or if I were able to swap notes with PS4 CMDRS about PSVR vs PCVR in Elite.
They have said VR will be in the SRVs but when you get out the gray screen will be there get back in and back to VR.
It would do them absolutely no good to lie about this.

Where can I hear this?

You must have read different things than I did. Anyway we will all know the truth of it on the 19th

They have said VR will be in the SRVs but when you get out the gray screen will be there get back in and back to VR.
You must have read different things than I did. Anyway we will all know the truth of it on the 19th

The OPs said:

There's still no guarantee we'll ever get it for on foot gameplay.
If we are trying to get VR on foot

You must have read different things than I did.

Possibly. What I have seen has been the very ones Golgot quoted above, which are pure politician speak.
Should your's be different, more committal, ones, and you stumble over the links again, I'd appreciate your sharing them.

What I was meaning is that we were promised more SRV types throughout the Horizons season, which never materialized, nor did the promised PSVR support, so they've got a bit of a track record of not fulfilling their good intentions, and in light of that history, as much as I want to believe that will get a full VR experience in the future, I remain cautious aboutit.

Possibly. What I have seen has been the very ones Golgot quoted above, which are pure politician speak.
Should your's be different, more committal, ones, and you stumble over the links again, I'd appreciate your sharing them.
Aye, the noncommittal, ambiguous and vague tone of the "possible" intentions, compounded by the track record on PSVR and other SRVs leaves me wary about pinning my hopes for future VR on those statements. But even in the absence of space hands, which will be a lot of work, I'd not just be mollified, but utterly delighted, to see a "virtual space head" when stretching my CMDR's "space legs" with VR Stereoscopic Head-look.

I don't even know where they are now. the 19th will tell all.

the 19th will tell all.

How so?

The 19th will give us the same worthless virtual 2D screen whilst on foot, that we have today in alpha, as far as I know, which was the proffered "compromise" (...and I were never among those who were placated (briefly or otherwise) by such a pointless exercise, even as just a stop-gap thing).

Are you suggesting otherwise? ...or that you have word more information will be given at launch?

-I thought you were talking promises about a future proper VR implementation..?

Sure, by this thinking, we'll eventually get ship interiors and other features as well. The question is how long you are willing to wait before it becomes, if not a lie, then misleading. A year? 3? 7? 10?

Forgive me if this sounds cynical, but the way I look at the VR situation is that even if they were genuine when they vaguely intimated they will do "Proper VR" later in the future, threads / discussions like this will harmlessly remind them that we really want/need a better VR implementation for the on-foot gameplay, so there's no harm done. If, however, they were being disingenuous with those inferred noncommittal sentiments, threads like this are NEEDED, as this sort of discussion will serve to sway their swithering hand from the do-not to the do button.

Folks we have all cussed and discussed this . Speculated till we are red in the face. We are all in the same boat we will know nothing for sure till the 19th. i am not going to run myself nuts over it anymore. There is 2 days left in the alpha I will probably just go on back to Horizons and play there till the 19th and see what happens. Every one try not to bust a gut what ever it is it will happen in the fullness of time. Till then have some great days.

Top Bottom