VR support 'not at launch' for Odyssey

How so?

The 19th will give us the same worthless virtual 2D screen whilst on foot, that we have today in alpha, as far as I know, which was the proffered "compromise" (...and I were never among those who were placated (briefly or otherwise) by such a pointless exercise, even as just a stop-gap thing).

Are you suggesting otherwise? ...or that you have word more information will be given at launch?

-I thought you were talking promises about a future proper VR implementation..?
If we have VR in the ships the 19th that to me is a good indicator that FD will keep to their word and ultimately get VR for Space legs woked out.

If we have VR in the ships the 19th that to me is a good indicator that FD will keep to their word and ultimately get VR for Space legs woked out.

Not even I believe they would renege on the one thing where we do have their word, and which has been in in the alpha throughout. The in-ship VR will remain, for now - no doubt.

I could never extend that confidence to reassurance on where they bend themselves out of shape to avoid giving a clear declaration of intent - if anything, this contrast signals the opposite.

...so I'll need a stronger indicator, myself.

What I suppose we can look out for, is whether any long standing issues with cockpit VR have been given any attention, beyond the cases of bug regression exhibited in alpha, and the new-planets-stuff's quite frequent rendering only in one eye, of scatter objects, atmospheric effects, and texture layering gradients (EDIT: ...including shadows).

Last edited:
There will definitely be VR in ship / SRV / SLF on the 19th. No one is accusing Fdev of lying.
Oh yes they did. (in response to Droogie)
Oh no they didn't!
Reread what they say, they're spectacularly good at using weasely words like politician speak that seems to promise everything but never actually commit to or confirm anything that may (or may not) be coming in the future.
They never promised more SRVs, just stated how they'd like to do more. They never promised better Powerplay, just how they'd like to make it better. They never promised better Multiplay, just how they'd like to do this, that and the other...
English is a beautiful language for when you want to practice DoubleSpeak...

noun
noun: doublespeak; noun: double-speak
  1. deliberately euphemistic, ambiguous, or obscure language.
    "the art of political doublespeak"

There will definitely be VR in ship / SRV / SLF on the 19th. No one is accusing Fdev of lying.

Oh no they didn't!
Reread what they say, they're spectacularly good at using weasely words like politician speak that seems to promise everything but never actually commit to or confirm anything that may (or may not) be coming in the future.
They never promised more SRVs, just stated how they'd like to do more. They never promised better Powerplay, just how they'd like to make it better. They never promised better Multiplay, just how they'd like to do this, that and the other...
English is a beautiful language for when you want to practice DoubleSpeak...

noun
noun: doublespeak; noun: double-speak
  1. deliberately euphemistic, ambiguous, or obscure language.
    "the art of political doublespeak"
I know what I read and they committed to it. Gloom and doom is bad for you.

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
I'm thinking VR stereoscopic head look on foot with with normal controls rather than Alyx/Boneworks hand controls, is as much as we can ask for at this time, and something they can reasonably deliver. Such a VR mode on foot would be a significant improvement over the grey burquah, but wouldn't necessarily take too much developer resources
I suspect the main barrier for that at the moment is still performance no? Dont think even headlook is realistic if the average rig can only get you 30 FPS on Medium.

I suspect the main barrier for that at the moment is still performance no? Dont think even headlook is realistic if the average rig can only get you 30 FPS on Medium.
That is a possibility, however, we don't know how much the optimisation process will yield, and given that Odyssey is slated to release on last gen consoles (PS4/XB1) I think its safe to assume there is a lot of room for improvement. Even looking at the alpha requirements as stated here:
Recommended Specs (High Settings at 1080p)

• Intel Core i5-8600K / AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (above 4 GHz recommended)
  • 12GB RAM
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB / AMD Radeon RX 5500
  • 60GB available space

Minimum Specs (Low Settings at 720p)

• Intel Core i5-4590 / AMD FX-4350
  • 8GB RAM
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 / AMD Radeon R9 280X
  • 60GB available space
Those requirements might be optimistic for the Alpha, and are more likely closer to the release requirements, but given the recommended spec is a midrange 2017 CPU and a middling 2016 graphics card I'm not too worried about performance / hardware requirements being an issue after alpha.

Dream on believe what you want to believe. .I am sick of all this nonsense rattle brain splitting hairs. Carry on but do it without me.
OK. Every single official announcement about the subject that can be searched for gives a vague answer. Yet, someone told you different than what everyone else heard. Please provide proof of your assertion.

Whatever FD may ultimately provide or not (this includes fixing the cockpit ships which are still 2D), fact is I will have to stick with CV1 and the GTX1070 for yet another year, it seems. For nobody in a sane mind would buy a GTX3080 or so in these times of triple UVP prices. And VR-wise, the Alpha still has some major flaws. But the most important this is: VR is still there at all. The skies never looked that black, the ships look better than ever, they even changed the Cutter's sound and dimmed the interior. It's even bearable now. Ok, 2D mode is not it, but then, the starports interiors at least aren't it too, so why bother. Let them finish a workable and solid VR implementation at Horizons level first and raise further demands later. For now, I fixed the CV1 right channel sound issues with tank tape and overclocked the old card to 1920 MHz. Runs smoothly.

O7,
🙃

Last edited:
They never promised more SRVs, just stated how they'd like to do more. They never promised better Powerplay, just how they'd like to make it better. They never promised better Multiplay, just how they'd like to do this, that and the other.
If I had 10k cr for every time FDev promised something and never delivered, I probably wouldn't be able to outfit a Cobra III.

But, If I had 1k cr for every time FDev said they want to do something (interiors, atmospheres, etc...), but never got around to, then I could probably afford an FC for a good few years...

If I had 10k cr for every time FDev promised something and never delivered, I probably wouldn't be able to outfit a Cobra III.

But, If I had 1k cr for every time FDev said they want to do something (interiors, atmospheres, etc...), but never got around to, then I could probably afford an FC for a good few years...
You're absolutely right.
So is Fdev.
My god, talk about "give someone a finger and they'll take the whole hand."

Top Bottom