VR support 'not at launch' for Odyssey

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
If I had 10k cr for every time FDev promised something and never delivered, I probably wouldn't be able to outfit a Cobra III.

But, If I had 1k cr for every time FDev said they want to do something (interiors, atmospheres, etc...), but never got around to, then I could probably afford an FC for a good few years...

From Newsletter 29 where FDEV said what they intended to do wrt future content DLCs after initial release:

For example, our current roadmap is to add (in no particular order):
  • Landing/ driving / prospecting on airless rocky planets, moons & asteroids
  • Walking around interiors and combative boarding of other ships
  • Combat and other interactions with other players and AIs in the internal areas of star ports
  • Accessing richly detailed planetary surfaces
  • Availability of giant ‘executive control’ ships to players
  • Green is delivered: With EDH, EDO and Fleet Carriers. Although first person combat happens rather outside star ports not inside.
  • Red is not delivered yet: no ship interiors indeed yet.
  • Orange is partially delivered: EDO´s thin atmospheres, updated planetary surfaces and new biologicals. Not yet delivered things like thicker atmospheres, liquid masses or prominent flora and fauna.
I think you may get enough cr for a few antennas of that FC though 😋

Last edited:

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
Combat in internal areas of star ports? I fear that green should be orange.
🤷‍♂️ I woud not be too harsh there since in addition to deliver non combat interactions in star ports, FDEV has gone beyond what was strictly described and actually delivered first person combat in external areas of star ports with EDO (essentially anywhere on any available planetary surfaces and settlements, indoors or outdoors) instead of internal areas of starports. Green with an orange shade if you want? 😋

Last edited:
You're absolutely right.
So is Fdev.
My god, talk about "give someone a finger and they'll take the whole hand."
This is now veering strongly into offtopic, but In Polish it functions exactly the same: "daj palec a całą rękę weźmie". In this case, "hand" means whole appendage, not the palm :) Curious how it's similar :)

Whatever FD may ultimately provide or not (this includes fixing the cockpit ships which are still 2D), fact is I will have to stick with CV1 and the GTX1070 for yet another year, it seems. For nobody in a sane mind would buy a GTX3080 or so in these times of triple UVP prices. And VR-wise, the Alpha still has some major flaws. But the most important this is: VR is still there at all. The skies never looked that black, the ships look better than ever, they even changed the Cutter's sound and dimmed the interior. It's even bearable now. Ok, 2D mode is not it, but then, the starports interiors at least aren't it too, so why bother. Let them finish a workable and solid VR implementation at Horizons level first and raise further demands later. For now, I fixed the CV1 right channel sound issues with tank tape and overclocked the old card to 1920 MHz. Runs smoothly.

O7,
🙃
Haha... I'm obviously not of sane mind - literally, bought a RTX 3080 and HP Reverb G2 VR headset a week ago! 😜 BTW anyone thinking about getting a G2, a bit of mucking around to install and fine tune but fricking amazing res.. No screen door. I can even read the small print and dials in the Harrier AV8B cockpit in DCS World!! Had a Oc' Rift which I loved, but this headset leaves it for dead.

Haha... I'm obviously not of sane mind - literally, bought a RTX 3080 and HP Reverb G2 VR headset a week ago! 😜 BTW anyone thinking about getting a G2, a bit of mucking around to install and fine tune but fricking amazing res.. No screen door. I can even read the small print and dials in the Harrier AV8B cockpit in DCS World!! Had a Oc' Rift which I loved, but this headset leaves it for dead.

What is the FoV like and have you modded the faceplate?

I was on the cusp of making that same purchase last year, then the NO-VR bombshell hit us, and I ended up geting into RC aircraft instead of upgrading the PC.

Aargh, that's exactly the same setup I had planned to buy for Odyssey launch! Now I have to spill down the traces of envy with the help of a beer, Elephant seems appropriate. Slainte Mhath! 🍻

O7,
🙃

What is the FoV like and have you modded the faceplate?
My comments after 1 week:

• FoV is better than Oculus, not enough to matter. Sweet spot seems slightly smaller i.e. need to look straight ahead for clearest image. If I look to the side without turning my head still ok, just not crispy clear.
  • Face-plate fitted my head straight out of the box. Headset is light and comfortable.
  • No tracking problems. I like the inside-out tracking, less clutter and only 2 USB connections needed. Read some reviews about poor tracking, but tracking is faultless for sit-down sims (ED, DCS World) where the pace is slow.
  • If I had a (small) gripe, it is that I have to use SteamVR but once the G2 is set up properly its not an issue.

All in all I'd give the G2 a:
  • 6/10 for set up - did my head initially because I didn't understand how WindowsXR worked with SteamVR. Could have been more instructions.
  • 8/10 for build quality v cost - the build quality is what you would expect for the price (plastic fantastic) but adequate and comfortable to wear.
  • 9/10 for audio - deducted a point because sound crackles if there is a poor ear-piece connection (solved this simply by unscrewing the ear-piece and re-seating it).
  • 9.5/10 - sheer joy of a clear image, deducted .5 for fuzziness at the edges.

Last edited:
I was on the cusp of making that same purchase last year, then the NO-VR bombshell hit us, and I ended up geting into RC aircraft instead of upgrading the PC.
Yeah, I get it - if it wasn't for the fact that I like Horizons (and have some hope for OydessyVR) and that DCS World is dreamy in VR, I would have held off.

P.S. I came across what must be the only shop in Australia that still has RTX 3080 cards off the shelf! Couldn't let it slip away... I can be bribed to reveal the shop :sneaky:

Last edited:
Yeah, I get it - if it wasn't for the fact that I like Horizons (and have some hope for OydessyVR) and that DCS World is dreamy in VR, I would have held off.

P.S. I came across what must be the only shop in Australia that still has RTX 3080 cards off the shelf! Couldn't let it slip away... I can be bribed to reveal the shop :sneaky:
Very interesting, thanks for your feedback.. I was looking at it for Flight Simulator where with my Oculus Rift I can't read anything on the instruments.
But I have to wait more because FS is too heavy and I'd need a RTX3080 minimum.

From Newsletter 29 where FDEV said what they intended to do wrt future content DLCs after initial release:

• Green is delivered: With EDH, EDO and Fleet Carriers. Although first person combat happens rather outside star ports not inside.
  • Red is not delivered yet: no ship interiors indeed yet.
  • Orange is partially delivered: EDO´s thin atmospheres, updated planetary surfaces and new biologicals. Not yet delivered things like thicker atmospheres, liquid masses or prominent flora and fauna.
I think you may get enough cr for a few antennas of that FC though 😋
Prospecting on planets and combat in starports? Guess I missed that part of alpha. 🤷‍♂️

My comments after 1 week:

• FoV is better than Oculus, not enough to matter. Sweet spot seems slightly smaller i.e. need to look straight ahead for clearest image. If I look to the side without turning my head still ok, just not crispy clear.
  • Face-plate fitted my head straight out of the box. Headset is light and comfortable.
  • No tracking problems. I like the inside-out tracking, less clutter and only 2 USB connections needed. Read some reviews about poor tracking, but tracking is faultless for sit-down sims (ED, DCS World) where the pace is slow.
  • If I had a (small) gripe, it is that I have to use SteamVR but once the G2 is set up properly its not an issue.

All in all I'd give the G2 a:
  • 6/10 for set up - did my head initially because I didn't understand how WindowsXR worked with SteamVR. Could have been more instructions.
  • 8/10 for build quality v cost - the build quality is what you would expect for the price (plastic fantastic) but adequate and comfortable to wear.
  • 9/10 for audio - deducted a point because sound crackles if there is a poor ear-piece connection (solved this simply by unscrewing the ear-piece and re-seating it).
  • 9.5/10 - sheer joy of a clear image, deducted .5 for fuzziness at the edges.
Pretty much agree on all counts.

At least twice I think :(, but with the bitcoin gold-rush I couldn't see the prices coming down anytime soon and the 3080 is especially hard to come by, so it was case of suck it up or wait another 12-18 months only to find nothing has changed.
Twice is still not too shabby for an "on shelf" card. Here the msrp multipliers are often reaching x4 for the 3080s, which is batpoo crazy. But considering you can literally make money appear out of thin air with these cards (USD10 / day with nicehash for example), no wonder people buying them left and right. The pressure of gamers who didn't fall for the 20x0 series trap and want to upgrade now is also nothing to be sneezed at. And, we have global silicon shortage so severe that automakers are starting to complain loudly.

All in all, good decision. It's better to have 3080 now, than 3080Ti on paper and maybe in two years :D

Top Bottom