VR version VS Regular Screen

I just decided to start using my rift again and saw there is an actual authorized Elite version. That is awesome!
My question is this. What is the function, game and story difference between a 'regular' pc screen version and the VR version?

The reason I ask is I remember Elite has TONS of keyboard commands etc. How does that work with the Rift version?
Is it the 'same' game as the regular version? Can I swap between VR and regular pc on the same account?

Thanks for the answer. Tried searching but no joy.

I don't fully understand the question, but I'll answer the one I think you're asking. Yes you can swap between normal and VR. You use a standard controller when playing in VR so it doesn't matter if you use it for flat-o-vision. The only difference is the look-to-activate pop-up windows no longer work. You can get around that by using head tracking or assigning buttons for window selection when playing normally

If the question is whether the Occulus/SteamVR versions of the game can run without a headset then <shrug> I don't know the answer to that. But seeing as the version of game you can buy direct from Frontier fully supports VR then why not just buy it from there? Are there sales elsewhere you want to take advantage of?

I guess my confusion is this. I remember there being a large amount of keyboard being needed to play the regular flat screen version for a large amount of functioning. If I have the rift on my head where I can't see the keyboard, how are they handling all those keyboard commands?
Do I just need to do it without looking? lol

@dtt255 Look back at your first attempt at this thread in the "Dangerous Discussion" sub-forum - there have been many replies there including a reasonably detailed response from me...

Stage 1: Get a HOTAS or dual stick setup with lots of buttons
Stage 2: get crazy mapping all of the ED functions to all of the HOTAS buttons
Stage 3: after a couple of weeks out in the black, try to remember which buttons you mapped for fire control - and where is the landing gear? OR after a couple of weeks cleaning out CZs, try to remember how to use the FSS...
Stage 4a: get and set up VoiceAttack or
Stage 4b: start setting up the gaming chair you always wanted and stick an additional keyboard to it, near the right stick. Glue some rubber feet to the few most important keys so you can find them blind
Stage 5: realize that having to use modifier buttons is not what you want, and start designing a custom keypad that will occupy whatever space is still available near the left stick

Currently at stage 5, the switches and buttons are on order (if I want to believe FedEx tracking, in transit at Memphis, TN).

Helpful threads for setting up your own control schemes:
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/journal-docs-for-v3-3.452937/ links to the ED APIs, which lets you read out some game status information, like landing gears or pips
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/help-with-target.539599/ mainly about TARGET software, but a lot of transferrable information about how joysticks are handled
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/custom-control-panel-binding-led-switches.539613/ a custom control panel setup - but LEDs are useless in VR :cool:

If I have the rift on my head where I can't see the keyboard, how are they handling all those keyboard commands?

It's exactly the same, Rift on your head or not.

It's not rocket surgery really. On PC I was on mouse + TWCS throttle and I had exactly three reasons to reach for the keyboard:

• chat
  • galaxy map search function
  • closing the surface scanner UI

The rest of my bindings were completely handled by the ship UI and the aforementioned devices.

On PS4 I don't even have alternatives besides the 16 (IIRC) inputs available on DS4 or PS4-supported HOTAS, not counting the various button combinations. Sure, there's no VR, but just saying, you can fit all required inputs on a variety of controllers.

This really isn't an issue. I have 500 hours of ED VR experience and I never bothered with VoiceAttack or the like.

The biggest issue you will have jumping from 2-D to 3-D is the HOTAS. UNLESS YOU'RE A TOUCH TYPIST. The game will swap back and forth with minimal issues, typically just the screen resolution. 30 second fix on startup. So no worries there. Certain screens ( chat, galaxy map... ) are borked, but workable. I find I just book mark my favorites and avoid the search function.

Getting a good controller is the main 'unspoken' issue, and in some of the more extreme cases can cost more then a mortgage payment. Ripping off the headset to look at what keys you're trying to hit will kill the experience. Button mapping will take weeks to you find what mapping work best for you, and then another few until muscle memory sets in. It's a process.

It's certainly worth it, IMO.

I've been on VR using a oculus rift-s, a powerful GeForce Rtx 2080 powered pc,
A cordless mouse and keyboard, and a 16 button hotas.
Apart from. The initial headache of binding the hotas to what I now feel is a natural way to play, all is well.
The keyboard is the only problem..
Some sort of virtual keyboard that works with a rift would be nice.
I've tried 2 so far neither worked.
In-game is lovely.
Another gripe is it won't start full screen. Not that I mind but the missus watches so it would be nice to have default full screen.
Sound is lush. The visuals fab. So getting the aforementioned gripes fixed would be perfect.

i use a thrustmaster warthog and have everything mapped out including headset reset.
elite in vr makes it a lot more enjoyable.

As well as the HOTAS recommendation, you should also look at getting VoiceAttack, that way you can map keyboard presses to a voice command that you speak, It's invaluable in VR. I never touch my keyboard, but have plenty of controls mapped to it.

You can download a free version to try out, and to buy it is very inexpensive at $10.

No matter whether you're using a monitor or VR headset, your button layout will eventually become muscle memory, and you will hit the buttons without having to look at them.

Craith

Volunteer Moderator
Get used to touch typing, use a HOTAS with lots ob buttons, voice attack or similar or use modifiers for your controller - there are people playing it on a console with just the controller, and they are doing fine (no VR though, but one controller can work)

Many functions can also be used via the various menus, not that I reccommend that for most options (galaxy & system map, hyperjump, landing gear, cargo scoop, lights, night vision, among others)

Personally I play with HOTAS and a few rarely used buttons on the keyboard (e.g. I have the combined supercruise/hyperjump button on my HOTAS, the seperate ones on the keyboard should I need them). I need touch typing anyhow to communicate with others (although voice is there for squad members).

And you don't need to buy a new version to play it on the rift, just activate the HMD display in the options (works on VIVE, I am pretty sure RIFT is the same - doesn't hurt to try if you own the game again)

I have x52pro and an x7 gaming mini keyboard. I find I now have everything I could possibly use set up on the hotas using button combinations, rendering the x7 redundant. It really doesn't take long to get used to, tweaked here and there to suit the individual.

Top Bottom