Newcomer / Intro Vulture - pulse, burst or beam?

Which is best, or doesn't it really matter?

My Vulture's role is purely for HRESs. It currently has fully engineered pulses but I'm wndering if I could do better.

Or, even, should I ditch the lasers and go cannons?

Ta!

When I flew a Vulture when I was newer I dreamed of fitting it with Pacifier Canons....just wasn't willing to grind out the necessary powerplay time to earn them.

Ahh, maybe some day.

I recommend you try the cannons. I have a Vulture with G5 short range fixed cannons. They are so powerful shields go down quickly despite kinetic resistance. Once shields are down they simply devastate any hull in a few salvos. And they draw almost no distributor power. I can fight with just half a pip in WEP.

My first ever Vulture had one gimballed Beam, and one gimballed multicannon.

That was a long time ago, though.

Plasma Accelerators/Pacifiers are my go to these days, but I’ve played with both fixed multis and beams, and they’re pretty fun, too.

It depends how often you’re willing to return to the station for ammo...

I tend to build BH Vultures for sustain (2 pulse) so I can hunt for longer. It may not be very glamorous, but after spending 10 minutes finding a great instance I don’t like being forced to leave due to ammunition constraints.

I was always a strong advocate for pulse lasers. They do have lower DPS, but they also have a really low power consumption and heat generation, meaning that I can operate them on one pip and use the rest in ENG and SYS.
This isn't a problem on ships with large number of hardpoints as one can easily mix high-power lasers/rails/PAs with some kinetic weapons and manage the energy this way. But with Vulture's limited hardpoint count, one really has to make a good compromise. And from my experience, pulses are the sweetspot. Cannons and MCs with the right engineering can be good as well, but I would never equip weapons that need ammunition on Vulture simply because of the fact that due to having only two weapons, you're going to chew through ammo extremely quickly and it becomes annoying.

For PvE bounty hunting, an efficient beam laser and an OC corrosive MC.

I have three Vultures...

One as above (beam fixed, MC gimballed), one with with a pulse laser (gimballed) and a rail gun, and one with two pulses (fixed).

They all work and add a bit of variety to combat, although as Morbad says the beam and multi-canon is the most efficient. :)

I tried many combinations with the Vulture. It taught me a lot about vaious weapons and how they synergize. Being restricted to two hardpoints presents a challenge since you want to both be able to strip shields AND chew through hull.

In the end, after many trials, I ended up with the loadout Morbad recommends, one efficient thermal vent beam and one corrosive overcharged multicannon. This combination covers the bases.

I'm no combat ace (I really suck at it) but I find an efficient gimballed beam with flow control and a gimballed overcharged MC with auto-loader more than make up for my ineptitude.🕹

For your role needs something other might be better. Beam is best of those listed if you have the power through Engineering or otherwise. I use my Vulture as an exploration hybrid of sorts, so ammo and the like isn't something I care to bother with.

This is presently my hypothetical ideal Vulture build for my needs. → https://coriolis.io/outfit/vulture?...IYHMA28QgIwV3fEQA==&bn=The Ronin 03D-DW Prime

Naturally it's a different usage scenario, so you'd probably be better off going with something else, but it might give you some ideas about power management and the like. Cheers.

Last edited:
Efficient beams with thermal vent are amazing. FWIW, I also tried various engineering of pulse and burst, but the beams won hands-down.

ps - these are surprisingly effective against Thargoid Scouts as well!
The numbers for efficient and oversized seem pretty great to me too, given the overall build and usage scenario I posted above.

One thing to consider when using efficient beams, is that they suffer from some pretty killer damage fall off.

By 1 kilometer, their damage is roughly equal to a standard, unmodified beam laser.

With Overcharged, your range extends to about 1.5k before it does just standard damage, which is a little better, but you also have to deal with significant power and distributor draw.

With a long range mod(any grade), you get consistent damage at even maximum distance. Something to consider.

Edit: I’m still a firm believer in twin PAs. They kill everything so fast, you’ll excuse their ammo constraints.

Thanks all - food for thought!

My build is this:

EEQwvwe.jpg

(I did do a Coriolis thing but it went bye bye :poop: )

Top Bottom