Want to know how much salvage can you collect while circumnavigating a planet in an SRV?

While waiting for 3.0 to cure the planets of their galactic sickness, I decided to circumnavigate a planet in an SRV and document the trip for the Planetary Circumnavigation Club:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/390451-The-Planetary-Circumnavigation-Club

I'd done this once before just for the heck of it without documenting anything, but this time I did. However I also wondered how much salvage I could pick up along the way and what that would be worth? With that in mind I decided to bring my T7 loaded full of cargo racks and pick up every bit of salvage I'd come across while driving around the equator. 256T of cargo space, would I fill it up or have room left at the end?

The planet I chose was Coltan in the Dahan system, a moon of the white gas giant Hathor:

tHiNe1c.jpg

fNKVWak.jpg

aP66iL7.jpg

Seemed like an interesting small world, and with a radius of only 167km it wouldn't (shouldn't?) take forever to drive around it. That equals a planetary circumference of 1049km, which would be roughly the distance I would need to drive to complete this trip. I decided to go around the equator rather than north to south, mainly because the terrain looked more interesting but also because I felt it would provide more sunset and sunrise opportunities.

I actually started the drive a bit before the beta started, took a break to test in the beta client, and then finished the journey up a couple days after the beta closed down.

So how did the circumnavigation go?

It was fun but rather uneventful. I drove 1120km around the planet so 71km extra than I needed to, most likely due to my regular diversions to investigate junk sites. It also took me a total of 65 hours and 9 minutes to complete it! That equals an average speed of 17km/hr, much slower than I'd hoped to be driving but the salvage stops along the way did a lot to slow me down I suppose. I also have a bad habit of enjoying the views too. Came across a lot of salvage along the way, scanned a few downed nav beacons, and blew up a lot of skimmers too, but nothing challenging. Had a few low flying pirates take interest in my landed T7 loaded with salvage but I always dismissed it safely up into orbit where they wouldn't follow, and they never bothered my SRV. At the end of the trip I had collected 225T of salvage, not quite filling my T7 up, but still I earned myself a cool $1,143,128 credits from salvage, data scans, and skimmer bounties.

My circumnavigation stats:

Distance driven: 1120km
Time spent: 65hrs, 9min
Salvage collected: 225T
Credits earned: $1,143,128
Skimmers destroyed: 101
Downed Nav beacons scanned: 5
Downed Satellites scanned: 6
Installations pillaged: 11
SRV Refuels: 8
SRV Repairs: 12

Here is a list of the cargo I cleaned up (a large variety of junk!):

5 Indium
2 Tea
8 Scrap
1 Osmium
3 Silver
7 Beryllium
8 Superconductors
1 Appliances
5 Platinum
3 Polymers
2 Cryolite
2 Uranium
2 Semiconductors
17 Explosives
11 Taaffeite
1 Animal Meat
7 Synthetic Reagents
18 Bauxite
14 Occupied Escape Pods
8 Gold
6 Resonating Seperators
3 Structural Regulators
10 Uraninite
1 Painite
2 Skimmer Components
2 Bertrandite
1 Battle Weapons
3 Thallium
9 Consumer Technology
8 Jadeite
3 Goslarite
2 Power Generators
12 Computer Components
7 Gallite
10 Palladium
7 Pesticides
14 Moissanite

Surprisingly the terrain was not as interesting as I'd hoped. Honestly the drive was fairly ho hum with not a lot of fanciful scenery along the way, I could have picked a more interesting planet (come on 3.0!!!). Still there were moments of beauty which made me "pause to smell the flowers" so to speak. Here are a few of my favorite pics I took on this journey (LOTS of pics, spoiler tagged to be considerate!):

RXS3GXq.jpg

wodOLTk.jpg

lI0EBtU.jpg

5rrzyKd.jpg

4TqL3Sj.jpg

bmILInk.jpg

9l9OtN1.jpg

IX3ezTC.jpg

UsgTiJs.jpg

baAHbsU.jpg

ePzd0NK.jpg

Lrxjwpa.jpg

yFbb1J0.jpg

iWNM8pz.jpg

B0Kbl7B.jpg

smSbGqF.jpg

aeI1d4F.jpg

JsVmmMz.jpg

QyqlI4x.jpg

1J24iRg.jpg

hrGpa4m.jpg

cgu0QnW.jpg

gqiB05r.jpg

7zJWhDL.jpg

DEBBRbh.jpg

y9pRqcv.jpg

slC7iMI.jpg

Q7A3c1P.jpg

WE8ef9w.jpg

Kv4cbdv.jpg

wGXbcwC.jpg

88nDaYQ.jpg

vPmBqIG.jpg

Q7Mhnou.jpg

WPNjvP0.jpg

To document the trip I stopped every 10° along the equator to take both a coordinate pic and a surface map pic showing my progression. Here is a link to the full album of all 155 pictures I took along the way:

https://imgur.com/a/LtEIu

Start location pic and end location pic at coordinates 0,0, along with in game time & SRV distance stats:

H9wf5bb.jpg

ZzRNOnh.jpg

mjJYfoH.jpg

1CDlLyL.jpg

So, in the end it was a fun experiment. I find surface salvaging fun but I was surprised that I didn't even fill the T7's hold on this long trip. I also really thought I'd earn more than I did, it's certainly not a way to make lots of credits. Still, it was a nice change of pace but I don't see myself doing something like it anytime soon again. One day maybe, just not for a bit. :cool:

I love this. These are the kinds of things that make Elite great. Did you get any data scans from random small buildings or outposts?

I also have a bad habit of enjoying the views too.

I feel compelled to point out that's the exact opposite of a bad habit.

Also, bravo on an outstanding exercise that embodies what I love so much about the Elite: Dangerous community.

Also, SCIENCE!!!

Deleted member 38366

D
1.1M income in 65 hrs... Now you know why Salvaging isn't a widely accepted profession :D

PS.
I once did a Colonia Transit and scooped up every single Canister from any USS I would encounter in Deep Space.

Result :
Salvage_22000LY.jpg

I love this. These are the kinds of things that make Elite great. Did you get any data scans from random small buildings or outposts?

Yep, I scanned every nav beacon, crashed satellite, and installation data point I came across. The total of all the data was only about 200,000 or so. I do enjoy visiting the variety of buildings on planet surfaces though!

1.1M income in 65 hrs... Now you know why Salvaging isn't a widely accepted profession :D

Yeah, I wish Frontier would boost salvage profits, especially for escape pods you bring back to the S&R agency.

The best way to do something like this though for profit is to not drive the SRV around but rather fly the ship along the surface looking for POI's. Much faster that way!

Deleted member 38366

D
Yeah, I wish Frontier would boost salvage profits, especially for escape pods you bring back to the S&R agency.

I believe somewhere (buried) they stated they'll actually do so in V3.0.
No idea how far that extends to, i.e. pickup range in LY from inhabited space (as I suggested, similar to rares the reward should increase with distance it was picked up from in order to pay off vs. lost jumprange).

i am baffled by the lack of illegal goods in your collection
when i drive around, i often find sites with drugs, weapons or whatnot.

maybe depends on the system?

Excellent data collection ;)

From 2.0 to 2.1 my time was spent almost entirely scavenging on planets, wombling around, cleaning up all the mess humanity left behind, it's almost a third end-game activity (after exploration & PvP).

I still have to collect every escape pod I find, no matter how hard to reach, I'm on my way back from Colonia to the bubble & have 17 on board already. Circumnavigating a planet is a box I haven't ticked yet but it's on the list if I find one small and interesting enough. I've covered the diameter of huge craters (the flat bottomed ones) over several hours a few times.

Last edited:
i am baffled by the lack of illegal goods in your collection
when i drive around, i often find sites with drugs, weapons or whatnot.

maybe depends on the system?

That surprised me too, as I expected to require a visit to a black market afterwards but I didn't need to. Also, every POI I came across had wanted skimmers at it, I never came across one where I needed to do some illegal skimmer slaughtering. Could be I just got lucky with the RNG, or it could have had something to do with the system state at the time. Not sure really.

Excellent expedition Mengy...regarding crashed satellites (not the nav beacons), can you remember what the data yield was off them? It's still possible I believe to obtain CIF from them if I'm not mistaken. For Science of course. ;)

Top Bottom