Want your emergent content? Come get it!

I had the most fun last night, though. It's funny how small things really affect your impression of the game. I usually find combat zones rather boring -- it's hard to be invested in one side or another -- but last night my commander set out (in a Cobra, rather than in a better combat ship) and spent a couple of hours fighting for the under-dogs even though the whole galaxy was after them. It was terrific.

If I wanted a respawn arena death match, I'd just play CQC. At least this is aiming to spice it up a bit, so credit for that.

Cheers.

So unfortunately Ienpalang is now something like 37% vs 1%, thought that's totally unsurprising. I'm still having a complete blast causing a ruckus and fighting in the CZ. There's one port not owned by Ienpalang Corporation which is now my base. Have 10 notoriety, 2.6m bounty, hostile to Ienpalang Corporation, and have a few million in bonds, and learning how much of a beast my new Krait MKII is. It survived 3 Elite security condas and four vipers long enough to take out one conda and two of the vipers before I got away successfully.

The clincher is I'm still eligible for the decals in the CG :D This is much more fun though.

So unfortunately Ienpalang is now something like 37% vs 1%, thought that's totally unsurprising. I'm still having a complete blast causing a ruckus and fighting in the CZ. There's one port not owned by Ienpalang Corporation which is now my base. Have 10 notoriety, 2.6m bounty, hostile to Ienpalang Corporation, and have a few million in bonds, and learning how much of a beast my new Krait MKII is. It survived 3 Elite security condas and four vipers long enough to take out one conda and two of the vipers before I got away successfully.

The clincher is I'm still eligible for the decals in the CG :D This is much more fun though.

That's a shame. Last night there was still hope....

Emergent gameplay assumes that there are actual game mechanics and systems and consequences.

Elite doesn't hold a candle to nearly any other multiplayer game in terms of actual interaction because the most interaction in this game is literally just shooting one another.

Whether or not the CG actually creates a divergence in the narrative, there will be no consequences that the players will feel or be effected. And don't even get me started on BGS groups. It's literally LARPing but in a video game because it's just there but it's literally called Background Simulation. It has no foreground presence besides what missions are offered that you can get at any other system. But I guess space legs will change that when you can uh, I don't know, sit on a chair next to each other and drink faux beers?

Going League of Rep is like being evil for the sake of evil because you have nothing better to do and there are no consequences in this game so yolo.

Going League of Rep is like being evil for the sake of evil because you have nothing better to do and there are no consequences in this game so yolo.

I do love the tendency for people who, in absence of any ability to come to a rational conclusion themselves, assume the conclusion *must* be reached by everyone else. It reminds me somewhat of a mate who tut-tuts me for playing Fanatic Xenophobes in Stellaris(1), because why would you *ever* want to play group of genocidal maniacs.

I could actually have written essays-on-war-and-peace about how The League deserves support; go to the Aliens subforum and read how there's actual rational theories that The League are just a scape-goat, and it's the tri-superpower group propping up the CGs in support of "The good guys" who are actually evil. And maybe go past the BGS forum while you're at it and brush up on your fairly naive view of those mechanics ;)

But I didn't, because posters like yourself wouldn't care, and would almost certainly hit the snooze button after the first sentance. Because what's shaping the game's underlying story when compared to "OOH SHINY DECAL AND CREDITS. IT'S ALL ABOUT ME!".

Yawn.

(1) noting I also happily alternately play god-fearing spiritualists, pacifist farmers, savvy charismatic traders or technocratic geniuses. No, apparently playing the bad guys once in a while is objectively the wrong way to play the game.

I'm a loyal servant of the Empire, fighting the good fight against the evil League of Reparation in the name of my Emperor.

Yes, I love playing the lunatic nutjob in games like this. Being a fanatical dupe of the evil conspiracy. What the heck right? I'm sick and tired of hearing society tell me all the things I should think and feel to be a Good Guy stereotype. Screw it! Give me the glamor, the fancy title, the shiny ships, the slaves, I got a need for speed, bang and ZOOM, baby! I'm a bloody Duke! Empire Forever! XD That's what Games are For.

Edit: I also play fanatic xenophobes in Stellaris. So much easier to just genocide everyone that gets in my way than to try to figure out how to get them to quit revolting all the time. Ugh, so revolting...

For sure! Be the good guy, or the bad guy :) I just don't see a reason to not be the bad guy just when the CGs offered up by FD don't provide that option, while the gameplay mechanics actually do allow for it.

Top Bottom