War and Civil War: BGS Guide - Best Current Thinking

Well there's your problem. You'll have trouble swinging anything around there with a small group.

Is it a powerplay exploited system? If the controlling faction is favourable to the powerplay group, then it'll throw up an alert on the inara powerplay page when a conflict kicks off. If not, there's a good chance of people going there just because it's the nearest CZ to farm and they'll pick the controlling faction by default as they won't want to go hostile in the dock where they cash in their missions.

How would you know whether a controlling faction is friendly to a powerplay group?

How would you know whether a controlling faction is friendly to a powerplay group?
It depends on the power - you can check them on the powerplay menu to see what government types they're strong against. Li-Yong Rui, for example, benefits from corporate factions and dislikes communism, cooperative and patronage governments.
To add to this, make sure that you check the Control part of the strength, not the Expansion part of it - some Powers have different types for those, but the Expansion part isn't all that important and they probably won't overthrow you just for that.

Here's a summary of the different powerplay ethoses and which governments they prefer, with the number of Powers with that Control ethos in brackets.
EthosStrongWeak
Finance (3)CorporateCommunist, Cooperative, Feudal, Patronage
Social (2)Communist, Cooperative, Confederacy Feudal, Prison Colony, Theocracy
Combat (3)Feudal, PatronageDictatorship
Covert (3)Feudal, Dictatorship, Communist, CooperativeDemocracy
Notes:
- Anarchy is always neutral
- Democracy, Prison Colony and Theocracy are always neutral or weak
- Confederacy and Corporate are always neutral or strong

Well...that's unfortunate. Seems like my grand plan is likely to hit a powerplay brick wall.
Well you could always come to us as an independent sub-group. We're a Theocracy primarily outside Powerplay with a significant area and profitable trade, mining etc. Finding the right place to start from can be awful, especially as the galaxy gets more crowded in inhabited space. Sometimes it makes sense to abandon the concept of your own player group and location and merge with other smaller existing groups with lots of territory and opportunities.

Well you could always come to us as an independent sub-group. We're a Theocracy primarily outside Powerplay with a significant area and profitable trade, mining etc. Finding the right place to start from can be awful, especially as the galaxy gets more crowded in inhabited space. Sometimes it makes sense to abandon the concept of your own player group and location and merge with other smaller existing groups with lots of territory and opportunities.
I did see a group on Inara the other day that were pitching themselves specifically as a roaming group that existed specifically to help out whenever a smaller group was getting bullied by one of the bigger ones, but I forgot what they were called.

Everyone loves an underdog story.

Just to add:

Quite often it is worth talking to that Power and working out the situation, the last thing a Power wants is a drag from an ongoing war. Sometimes its possible to manage being in such an arrangement in that you work with them to flip other systems to balance things out.

The very worst thing you can do though is be annoying. I've had several PMFs who either went back on their word* or were outright hostile, and they wound up being annihilated.

*not that these agreements are worth much to begin with

Well, should point out I'm not part of any PMF, I was just planning to flip a system to a native (npc) minor faction. That factions government type isn't favorable to the power exploiting the system, though I see on Inara they have several...well, 2, other system with controlling factions of the same type, and based on influence it doesn't look like there's been any active attempt to change them.

Well, should point out I'm not part of any PMF, I was just planning to flip a system to a native (npc) minor faction. That factions government type isn't favorable to the power exploiting the system, though I see on Inara they have several...well, 2, other system with controlling factions of the same type, and based on influence it doesn't look like there's been any active attempt to change them.
Powerplay control spheres only need half the exploited systems to be favourable to them to get the bonus, so they may be fine right now but lose it if you flip this one. Possibly if you flip one of the others to favourable first, they'll then let you have yours?

This is where talking comes in. It might be they don't care about that bubble at all.
Yeah, I've flipped systems where the local powerplayers didn't have any favourable governments at all. I even considered approaching them for help flipping another system - not because I wanted it, I just wanted the government to be literally anyone that wasn't present in my system since I was having trouble with people bounty hunting there and cashing them in mine. I was prepared to return the favour by flipping some of the unfavourable governments in the sphere to favourable ones.

Yeah, I've flipped systems where the local powerplayers didn't have any favourable governments at all. I even considered approaching them for help flipping another system - not because I wanted it, I just wanted the government to be literally anyone that wasn't present in my system since I was having trouble with people bounty hunting there and cashing them in mine. I was prepared to return the favour by flipping some of the unfavourable governments in the sphere to favourable ones.

Sometimes Powers want a system unfavorable because they want to ditch it. Hopefully FD will enact Sandros changes in this regard, because it will reduce a Powers BGS footprint by about 9/10ths and avoid an ever increasing problem of escalating PMF numbers. I have fond memories of yet another new PMF popping up and facepalming at the gov choice.

Sometimes Powers want a system unfavorable because they want to ditch it. Hopefully FD will enact Sandros changes in this regard, because it will reduce a Powers BGS footprint by about 9/10ths and avoid an ever increasing problem of escalating PMF numbers. I have fond memories of yet another new PMF popping up and facepalming at the gov choice.
Well, this is the thing - a lot of people that don't want to get into powerplay just make their factions for thematic reasons and don't even consider tactical stuff like that, it's not a competitive game to them and they tend to get annoyed when it's imposed upon them.

Like, one group I know picked cooperative literally because it made a nice acronym. They were in LYR space.

They were in LYR space.

Co-op? Sharing profits? LYR is sad.

1600607212974.png

1600607271284.png

Is there a way to see how long a war has been going? Status summaries just tell me if there's a war happening and how many days the faction has won.

1) Does handing in bonds in the redemption office of fleet carrier (that is stationed in the same system) counts towards winning the war or is it just cash-in ?
2) Do strategic data transfer missions count towards winning the war or only combat missions (assassinations, ground attacks, massacre...) ?

1) Does handing in bonds in the redemption office of fleet carrier (that is stationed in the same system) counts towards winning the war or is it just cash-in ?
2) Do strategic data transfer missions count towards winning the war or only combat missions (assassinations, ground attacks, massacre...) ?
1) yes
2) yes (all "war-themed missions")

yes, handing in bonds in the redemption office of fleet carrier (that is stationed in the same system) counts towards winning the war.

Handing in bonds only has an effect during wars and it counts towards winning it. Doing it under a fleet carrier's redemption office has half the effect, though. So you are better off dropping it in a station/port in the system, unless you are hostile to them and can't land there.
I'm not sure what the numbers are when it comes to time efficiency, if it is better spent gathering reputation for the faction you are hostile with to be able to dock there, or to just hand them in in a carrier.

And what do you mean with data transfer missions? I think those missions that require you to scan a data link from a ground base do count but I am not sure. Data courier missions however don't count. These being the ones that just require you to go from point A to B to hand in data.

Top Bottom