Watch This Space

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I'll be honest and admit to feeling a little giddy with excitement. Don't disappoint Frontier... not after all these years! No pressure...

What do we think?

A quick poll...

1. Elite for iOS and/or Android
2. Kickstarter Campaign for Elite 4
3. A new trailer/artwork for Elite 4
4. Arcade version of Elite for the Kinect/Wii
5. Elite 4 open beta test
6. Something else...

I'm betting on number 2 personally.

I'd say that with Star Citizen having recently raised a very large amount through Kickstarter that you mightn't be off target Crayfish.

A reboot of Elite (like Star Citizen is pretty much a reboot of Wing Commander).
I wish I hadn't pledged so much to Star Citizen now - I never saw this coming. Very excited though - even if it's just an updated FE2 I'll be more than happy :)

I'll put my opinion in and say it's an updated version of FFE.

A reboot of Elite (like Star Citizen is pretty much a reboot of Wing Commander).
I wish I hadn't pledged so much to Star Citizen now - I never saw this coming. Very excited though - even if it's just an updated FE2 I'll be more than happy :)

Dunno - at this stage and with the depth of current games and gaming interaction FE2 or FFE would be too little too late for me. It would have to be a pretty drastic engine overhaul for me to be remotely interested in a Frontier update and if it were then I'd be asking why all that effort hadn't been put into a new Elite. This is why I think we'll be seeing at the very least a feeler to see what can be garnered from a Kickstarter project toward Elite 4.

David Walsh

Managing Director
Frontier
Everyone: thank you for your patience.

We should have some exciting news for you within the next couple of hours..

Here it is - hope you like:

Frontier Developments has launched a Kickstarter UK project “Elite: Dangerous”.

A High-end, Multi-player Sequel to the Classic Open-world Space Trading / Combat Game Featuring Multi-Player and More to be Released Early 2014.

"This is the game I have wanted Frontier to make for a very long time. The next game in the Elite series - an amazing space epic with stunning visuals, incredible gameplay and breath-taking scope, and also fully multi-player." said Frontier founder and CEO David Braben. "Frontier has been working on this project, in the background, for several years now, building a foundation of technology and tools. Imagine what is now possible, squeezing the last drop of performance from modern computers in the way the previous games did in their days? It is not only a question of raw performance, though of course this will make it a gorgeous and incredibly rich experience, but we are pushing the multi-player networking implementation too."

"Kickstarter is great because as long as we hit the threshold, it commits us to making the game." added Braben. "From where we are now, £1.25M/$2M will get us the minimum game based on our tech and artist-directed procedural generation techniques, but I am of course hoping we can get more than that as it will allow us to be even more ambitious and potentially cover other platforms - the community of contributors will be part of the discussion about the specifics of any such decisions."

We’re absolutely committed to working with you on this development. Please, please contribute in any way you can, and help us spread the word – this is a game we’d LOVE to make!! Here’s the link to Kickstarter:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1461411552/elite-dangerous

Firstly, Thank you to David of Frontier for FINALLY saying something.
The continued silence went on for too long and I among others started to lose faith. So thank you for finally breaking silence and saying something.

I am happy that FD have chosen to go with a kickstarter project, and I hope they get the funding they are seeking and we see the next Elite game finally realised.

I said a few posts ago, I thought it might be an updated version FFE, I wanted news on the next Elite game, but I didn't want to get my hopes up.

Finally, Frontier, please please PLEASE don't now fall back to silence. Please keep us informed, this is the way you will build excitement, maintain interest and, more importantly, raise those funds you need.

Alien

I've noticed it's not the much-desired "Elite 4", but it's great to actually hear some official news about an Elite project at long last.

While I will be watching this with interest, I'm not in a position to donate at present, but if things look like they're progressing I certainly will when I can. (No offence, but I'm sure some of us remember the old Elite 4 stuff on the Frontier Developments website that vanished without a trace...)

Great to hear. Finally after all the years waiting & lurking on my account we have news.

How much of this decision has been brought on by Star Citizen I don't know, but I can't wait to see how both games turn out.

Elite & then Frontier were probably the 1st games I ever felt immersed in, way back in my younger years I might add, when it all wasn't photo-realistic textures and orchestral musical scores.

Wire frame ships FTW!

I'll be backing for sure, I'd even love to stretch to the £500 mark if I could :D

Keep us informed, keep us updated as you have competition remember ;)

David Walsh

Managing Director
Frontier
Firstly, Thank you to David of Frontier for FINALLY saying something.
The continued silence went on for too long and I among others started to lose faith. So thank you for finally breaking silence and saying something.

I am happy that FD have chosen to go with a kickstarter project, and I hope they get the funding they are seeking and we see the next Elite game finally realised.

I said a few posts ago, I thought it might be an updated version FFE, I wanted news on the next Elite game, but I didn't want to get my hopes up.

Finally, Frontier, please please PLEASE don't now fall back to silence. Please keep us informed, this is the way you will build excitement, maintain interest and, more importantly, raise those funds you need.

Alien

We appreciate everyone's support, and the natural scepticism. We are very serious about both this game and working with the community of backers to make the game we all want.

FWIW, you can get a glimpse of the latest game build being tested automatically on 8 PCs in the background of the video here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20165344

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom