Watch This Space

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Cheers for the update.

I've noticed that the news is spreading rapidly - with less than an hour after it got announced, it's gotten over £3,600 pledged already and has even made it to the BBC news website, but they insinuate that it's a remake of the original Elite.

David Walsh

Managing Director
Frontier
While I will be watching this with interest, I'm not in a position to donate at present, but if things look like they're progressing I certainly will when I can. (No offence, but I'm sure some of us remember the old Elite 4 stuff on the Frontier Developments website that vanished without a trace...)

Absolutely understand, and thank you for considering it.

We have been planning to use Kickstarter for a long time precisely because people's money is only taken when the funding threshold is reached, and we are very publicaly on the hook to deliver. Which is where we want to be. The Kickstarter UK launch removed our final concern over the legal technicalities of funding in such a manner from the UK.

WOW !!!!

That is absolutely AMAZING. I saw in just 10 minutes the money level raised a fair bit on kickstarter.

Trying to figure out what my amount will be. There are so many cool options to suit all levels.

Worried though that I have not seen anything talk about single player though and worried this will all exclusively be online, riddled with DRM, use of the horrible system Steam etc.... still we don't know yet. I just hope there is a single player mode.

[CORRECTION: On the BBC Interview with David Braben he said you can play it on your own so there MUST be a single player..... AWESOME !!!!!!!!!! YAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!]

Great to see a small team at Frontier WERE working on Elite all this time afterall and now it is getting into full swing.

As a big Elite fan (as we all are here) a huge thank you to Frontier AND for generous offerings on Kickstarter !!!

Looking forward to it!

Also thank you so much for that BBC interview link was GREAT to see those background screens !!!
I feel extremely confident and I think Frontier really cares for the fans as the project is as special to Frontier as it is to the fans. :)

Finally some news, had almost given up hope. Not been here for a few months then read about this on BBC news.

Got my pledge in, looks like they are already up to £4,000.

Can't wait :D

David Walsh

Managing Director
Frontier
WOW !!!!

That is absolutely AMAZING. I saw in just 10 minutes the money level raised a fair bit on kickstarter.

Trying to figure out what my amount will be. There are so many cool options to suit all levels.

Worried though that I have not seen anything talk about single player though and worried this will all exclusively be online, riddled with DRM, use of the horrible system Steam etc.... still we don't know yet. I just hope there is a single player mode.

Great to see a small team at Frontier WERE working on Elite all this time afterall and now it is getting into full swing.

As a big Elite fan (as we all are here) a huge thank you to Frontier AND for generous offerings on Kickstarter !!!

Looknig forward to it!

Styggron - the new networking approach (already working) allows us to offer the best of single and multi-player seamlessly, the plan is that it both is a great single-player experience and delivers vast scale for multiple players. We have have local hyperspace jumps instead of fast forwarding time (doesn't work well in multiplayer)

I'm stoked for all your dev guys that have been plugging away at this already. I firmly hope that the target is reached and this gets to see the light of day. You'll be getting my money on pay day.

David, I have one question about pledging money,
I have just pledged £20 as that is what I can afford at this time (I wanted to get my copy of the game reward in :p ) ...
I plan to make further pledges, are they cumulative? ie ... if by the end of the time limit, I have pledged say, £100 in total, can I claim the £100 reward?

Thankyou David, that is just ABSOLUTELY *BRILLIANT* news. I am just about crying with excitement. Frontier knows what Elite means to the fans and we know if *will* be something special and it will stand apart from ANYTHING that is out there and it will have AMAZING innovation *just* like the originals did.

David also I just want to say how generous the offers on Kickstarter is. I am really tempted by some of the higher end ones...... I mean 20 pounds for a digital copy of the game that is amazing. In fact wasn't ELITE back in 1984 almost 20 pounds ??? A nice tip of the hat for the fans !!!!

Also 20 pounds and 30 pounds options look the same so that might need a little fixing.

I'm just so excited !!!!!!

David Walsh

Managing Director
Frontier
David, I have one question about pledging money,
I have just pledged £20 as that is what I can afford at this time (I wanted to get my copy of the game reward in :p ) ...
I plan to make further pledges, are they cumulative? ie ... if by the end of the time limit, I have pledged say, £100 in total, can I claim the £100 reward?

Thank you. I _beleive_ they are cumulative, but will need to properly check this. The Kickstarter site only mentions increasing a pledge, which is unclear: "You can change or cancel your pledge anytime before Friday Jan 4, 7:00pm EST."

Gotta say I really like steam, better steam than ea's origin. Only reason I'd buy a physical copy is if it came with a map and flight manual like Frontier did.

I share your concern about the multiplayer vs single player mode though. Also hoping they don't dumb down the flight model too much. I liked the combat in FFE with the modded manual thruster controls, I admit the original frontier combat was a pain though.

Thank you. I _beleive_ they are cumulative, but will need to properly check this. The Kickstarter site only mentions increasing a pledge, which is unclear: "You can change or cancel your pledge anytime before Friday Jan 4, 7:00pm EST."

From the Kickstarter help

How can I change my pledge amount?
Visit the project page and click “Manage Your Pledge.” Enter a new amount in the pledge amount box. Note that you are not adding to your existing pledge; the amount you enter will be the total amount collected if the project is successfully funded.

So it seems that each pledge is independent of the others.

Gotta say I really like steam, better steam than ea's origin. Only reason I'd buy a physical copy is if it came with a map and flight manual like Frontier did.

I share your concern about the multiplayer vs single player mode though. Also hoping they don't dumb down the flight model too much. I liked the combat in FFE with the modded manual thruster controls, I admit the original frontier combat was a pain though.

I'm more of a Steam fan also - Origin is a dogs breakfast.

Then it sounds like that from that I change how much I pledge, not make extra pledges ... OK if I can changed the reward I claim too.
EDIT: I just looked, and I can change my reward too ... so that answers my question.

Then it sounds like that from that I change how much I pledge, not make extra pledges ... OK if I can changed the reward I claim too.

Yeah it seems that you can 'Manage your Pledge' to change your reward so that's all good.

How can I change my reward selection?
Visit the project page and click “Manage Your Pledge.” To change your reward, make a new selection. Note that changing your reward selection does not automatically change your pledge amount.

Origin is horrible yes but I hate steam as well.

I want the DVD, I want to install it and THAT is it !!! I don't want steam trying to download a billion patches here and there just like Skyrim. You had the DVD and it insisted on downloading 1.5 GIG..no thanks !

I want the game to run and that is it. No steam, no manager nothing *just* the game. If I want a patch I will install it else I want it totally stand alone in the middle of nowhere with no internet connetion if need be.

I am hoping there is a boxed version with a nice BIG manual and BIG MAP :)

(I think that the kickstarter has been up since 7pm UK time)Well if it continues to pledge at this rate you'll be at around £2Mil by Jan and since this will grow faster as more people become aware of it (at least initially) you guys may be onto a winner.

Styggron said:
Origin is horrible yes but I hate steam as well.

I want the DVD, I want to install it and THAT is it !!! I don't want steam trying to download a billion patches here and there just like Skyrim. You had the DVD and it insisted on downloading 1.5 GIG..no thanks !

I want the game to run and that is it. No steam, no manager nothing *just* the game. If I want a patch I will install it else I want it totally stand alone in the middle of nowhere with no internet connetion if need be.

I am hoping there is a boxed version with a nice BIG manual and BIG MAP :)

It would be nice and to be honest if it were possibly to have a physical copy with the ability to add it to Steam then that would be even better so that I don't have to keep using the disk. Having said that at the speeds that stuff downloads at these days I'm not overly stressed about digital copies. If it cuts the costs down and means that Frontier can sell their game at an extraordinary £20 (which is a huge nod to the gamers and thanks for that - there will be no excuse for not paying for the game at that price and is exactly what I've been pushing for) then I can live without a map and a pretty box.

You must be so rapt Geraldine.

I wonder how much people are pledging. I am deciding the amount now.

My goodness !!! Already almost 8000 pounds and it has not even been an hour yet !!!

It seems the most pledges have been £20 ... the highest so far is £1,500
I wish I could get up to £500 and have a station named after me ...
Steve O B Have ... we used to joke about exactly that, are you going to try to make it happen?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom