We meed some sort of update for Consoles

It sounds like update 10 is going to be either primarily or exclusively bug fixes and optimizations, which they pushed the FC interiors back in favor of working on first.

I'm completely okay with that, and I hope that update 10 is a big push to bring Odyssey closer to that mythological "stable" state they're hinging the console port on. Much as the constant "are we there yet?" from the angry console folks is exhausting, it's about time we heard something about at least what the targets are for when FDev considers Odyssey "stable" and ready to resume console development.

Besides, we've waited far too long for our chance to watch a significant wave of console players go from "FDev is intentionally excluding us!" to "wait... that's all there is?" I need to use this box of microwave popcorn I've been holding on to before the expiration date passes.
Agree.
To have a 'good picture' with the investidor in general; they have to announce something before may 31st (end o the FY).
Until then, they have to figure out what to do.

Are you suggesting that 10 million PS5 console owners are all going to buy EDO?

116 million ps4 consoles were sold and yet console players only account for 1/3 of the playerbase of ED.
The major installed base is PS4 original, which doesn't run (realistic speaking) Elite Odyssey using the current engine.
Like I said before the original has less than 1.8Tflops, and PS4pro has 4.2tflops.
Maybe ps4pro could handle, but If I'm not wrong, they can not release a game that runs just in ps4 pro.
Same with Microsoft consoles. Xbox One original has 1.4tflops and Xbox One X has 6.
They COULD try to run in last gen "pro" consoles, but there is a agreement which prevent to make games just for the 'pro version'.

I didn't know that 1/3 was PS4 players. That makes the decision even harder.

It's gonna be a pure business, and it's not gonna be good for everyone (unfortunately).

o7

The PS5 is Sony's fastest-selling PlayStation ever, with more than 10 million consoles sold so far.

Depends which way you look at it, doesn't it?

What's 10 million multiplied by £29.99 please Mr. Bevis?

images (41).jpeg

The major installed base is PS4 original, which doesn't run (realistic speaking) Elite Odyssey using the current engine.
Like I said before the original has less than 1.8Tflops, and PS4pro has 4.2tflops.
Maybe ps4pro could handle, but If I'm not wrong, they can not release a game that runs just in ps4 pro.
Same with Microsoft consoles. Xbox One original has 1.4tflops and Xbox One X has 6.
They COULD try to run in last gen "pro" consoles, but there is a agreement which prevent to make games just for the 'pro version'.

I didn't know that 1/3 was PS4 players. That makes the decision even harder.

It's gonna be a pure business, and it's not gonna be good for everyone (unfortunately).

o7

ROI will now be the primary focus for Odyssey.

Without it Elite is not in a good position for future development.

How they go about that has to include consoles in some form (the primary retail sales environment for gaming).

The next 6 months will provide the answers one way or another.

How they go about that has to include consoles in some form (the primary retail sales environment for gaming).

Agree.

Agreed and I feel sorry for console players who believed and pre-ordered when FDev said they would gladly pay us next Tuesday for a hamburger today.

Their absurd silence is costing them in their actions and I AM GLAD, that they continue to feel stubborn and you will see how well they are doing on that path ...

I know you're ignoring everyone that points out flaws in your arguments but how can you possibly say that they need consoles to get a ROI?

Also, it may very well be that console is the primary retail sales environment it's not the primary environment for ED nor has it ever been*. They never sold 114 million copies of the game on PS4 and they sure as hell are not going to sell 10 million copies on PS5.

*It's not even the primary sales environment for any of their games 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
It's my understanding that's why the initial reaction to the poor launch was to concentrate on delivering PC performance improvements via that console development work - it would've delivered return on two fronts.

The bottom line is Odyssey needs to start generating a return on investment, and that involves increased sales of Odyssey and/or additional paid updates. Both of those items have limited scope on PC currently.

If that doesn't happen, will Frontier be able to "continue to support the game"? Interesting wording.
We both know how poorly the launch for Odyssey was.

Of course it should start generating cash. But you can't polish horse apples.
Also releasing cheap and drab looking skins that no one wants isn't the way to go either.
If they want to make bank on skins, release something the community wants. Or Brabs forbid, skins the community designed. The designer who does the weekly recolour could review the submissions and publish it. Instant win. Or let the community vote.
Show 200 submissions per week, let the community decide what they'd like in the store (within reason of course) and you got quality for ARX. And for free.

Top Bottom