We need a bitching betty

For those of you who don't know what this is, it's basically the voice telling you over and over to do something. Like pull up. An example is this. (the first part is a russian version, 0:40 bitching betty starts)
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzlP1kwR7KM
Here is another example in some game
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyrFkxqpU3I

Anyways, I just whacked a high gravity planet. Unlike the real world, there is no way of feeling how fast you're going and it's hard to figure out from visual when the planet has no trees and what not (basically, anything you can see and know the size of it based on looking at it). Due to this, it would be very very very nice to have a bitching betty to let you know if you're coming in too fast, if it's a high gravity planet, and to pull up. Note this technology saves lives in the real world.

Note, there is a way to shut off the program on most planes.

___

Something that can be done is the low/high gravity warning voice when we get into our SRV. This could warn us when we go into orbit mode or whatever it is called. Like this type of change requires no extra recording, it requires just a simple change in maybe 1 line of code, and updating.

Last edited:
it requires just a simple change in maybe 1 line of code, and updating.
Don't make assumptions as to the complexity of a code change unless you're one of the devs, its dumb and trivializes their work.
Aside from that, a Betty would be nice, so long as you can turn them off.

Don't make assumptions as to the complexity of a code change unless you're one of the devs, its dumb and trivializes their work.
Aside from that, a Betty would be nice, so long as you can turn them off.
As someone who has coded, I can tell you it would most likely be as simple as copy and pasting the code.

Basically, when you get in your srv it most likely runs a if this then that code. If gravity is low then play xyz.mp3, else if gravity is high then play 123.mp3.

The code is already written, the sound is already made, and it shouldn't be any harder than maybe 3 hours in total of pasting and testing. Like as soon as you get low enough on a planet, your ship switches modes and has an animation that comes up. Well the code can just be pasted in there.

As far as the low altitude, how far off the ground you are, if things like that would have to be recorded and coded for. But the ship simply audio telling you that you're trying to land on a high/low gravity planet. This should be extremely easy to do since the bulk of the work is already done.

And if you want to say I'm not a game dev so shut up. Well, tell that to someone pointing out how easy it would be to fix a building, car, or anything. Some things are common sense. I would put money down on them using if statements because they are easy they work, and they don't slow down the code. Even more since being on a high/low gravity planet does nothing but play that short audio clip.

OP, you might give VoiceAttack a try, as it can give you voice warnings for high gravity planets as well as other ques when doing dangerous things.

It's not quite a "bitching betty" but it can help you avoid these things with some warning.

Just for the record, the game has a GPWS built in, EDDI or VA could likely be programmed to give audible alerts.

edit - Ninja'd.

The alerts (Terrain proximity/Collision) appear top right of the HUD, a high sink rate warning is also available through the vertical speed indicator once in orbital cruise. G readout is also bottom right of the HUD

Last edited:
The alerts (Terrain proximity/Collision) appear top right of the HUD, a high sink rate warning is also available through the vertical speed indicator once in orbital cruise. G readout is also bottom right of the HUD
The problem with this is the layout, and none of it is audio. I will take a look at the options you listed, but I seriously think that should be within the game itself. At least, when glide mode starts they should give you a gravity alert. Like it makes no sense why you would get it in your SRV but not in your ship.

My biggest problem with the current hud is it's all over the place. Plus things like the g-force number and other numbers means nothing unless you look up what is what. This means if you walk away from the game for a good 6 months or so. Then decide one day to come back. (This is kinda what happened to me) You will have to remember the bottom number is g-force,
This can easily be fixed with an audio alert system.
1 audio alert when you go into glide mode, if the gravity is low or high.
1 audio alert if you're flying fast with your nose pointed to the ground. (the pull up)
1 audio alert if you height is low
It would also be nice to have the audio alerts tell if you are breaking a given height. Kinda like the last part of the first video I linked. Where it says you're hitting the min, and when you hit 30k 20k 10k and 5k meters.

As I mentioned before, they already have the gravity warning recorded. All they have to do is copy and paste the code from the SRV to the ship when glide mode starts. Then spend a short time testing. This should be the far easiest one to do. And this is why I think there is no excuse to at least do that. Like it might seem like I'm just whining since I lost my ship. But I know for a fact that this problem is stupid easy to solve. It might take the dev team 1 person going in, and just copying and pasting code. Then a tester an hour to fix this one. So maybe 2 or 3 hours at most. And this is given the code doesn't have comments, so the dev would have to hunt for the if then statements to copy and paste.
A hint for the devs. If there is no comments, then do a find for the sound file that is played. There is only 1 time in the game it is played, and it's when the SRV is coming out of the ship.

For the others, I think they would have to get recordings. But they could attach it to the visual alert system already there. The sensitivity could even be adjusted to only trigger when given things happen at a given height.

With that being said, I will take a look at the 3rd party tools.

Last edited:
Just for the record, the game has a GPWS built in, EDDI or VA could likely be programmed to give audible alerts.
Unfortunately, FDev does not provide an "event" or "in-game signals" for either EDDI or VA to be programmed for an audible events. The author of EDDI states that the glide event, just like the jump/hyperspace event is just a transition between game instances. Since there is nothing provided by the game (in-game signals) except for HUD displayed values as you fall from space to the ground, which don't seem to be included in the ships log, no event could be translated to a variable for programming purposes.

OP, I think your idea would be a great help to all commanders in the game.

o7....

Last edited:
Unfortunately, FDev does not provide an "event" or "in-game signals" for either EDDI or VA to be programmed for an audible events. The author of EDDI states that the glide event, just like the jump/hyperspace event is just a transition between game instances. Since there is nothing provided by the game (in-game signals) except for HUD displayed values as you fall from space to the ground, which don't seem to be included in the ships log, no event could be translated to a variable for programming purposes.

OP, I think your idea would be a great help to all commanders in the game.

o7....

Thanks, I talked to HCS a few hours ago, and they said more than less the same. It kinda sucks, but it really does look like it falls completely on the game devs to add this in.

I think the gravity warning is something they can easily add for the glide event if there is enough push for it. Like it's one of those things I have no doubt a dev can put it in over their break since 99% of the work is already done. But the rest, I just hope.

Thanks, I talked to HCS a few hours ago, and they said more than less the same. It kinda sucks, but it really does look like it falls completely on the game devs to add this in.

I think the gravity warning is something they can easily add for the glide event if there is enough push for it. Like it's one of those things I have no doubt a dev can put it in over their break since 99% of the work is already done. But the rest, I just hope.
In my conversation with the author of EDDI, this was his take on an attempt at providing something along the lines of what you suggest. As you state, 99% of the work is already there.

I add it here so that if FDev reads this post, they may have some better idea of how to code for it, or provide some "in-game signal" or "event" to program against in case EDDI or VA want's to add it in the future.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've played around with a terrain warning event, but I haven't come up with a solution that I've been very happy with yet.

Other comments:
  1. Glide mode is currently broken - FDev doesn't provide an official event for this and the detection method we used to use suddenly stopped working after a recent update. The jury's still out on whether we'll be able to restore glide mode in the future. Were the glide event working, however, it would already alert users of high gravity worlds.
  2. Neither the ship's speed nor the ship's orientation is available in the data FDev provides.
  3. Altitude is available as a property of the status object (so anyone with VoiceAttack can already react to it by polling it's value). That said, the status object is updated about once per second (which may not be enough if you are accelerating very quickly towards a surface!).
We don't receive any data from FDev corresponding to the in-ship signals so it'd have to be based entirely on changes in the ship's altitude over time.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FDev, I feel an event for a GPWS with audio/audible warnings by COVAS in the game would be of benefit to all commanders.

o7.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom