We need more distance on the FC

Yes, it would be ideal. Plot route as far as total fuel onboard will expire. Unability to manage tritium remotely is pinnacle of stupidity finally made remote access unusable. Now I have enough tritium to position my FC in final system an I'm forced to limp continuously with him only for copy-paste tritium from bay to depot. Even plan route for series jumps up to actual trit reserve will be nicer than actual design.

If they wanted carriers to roam like bots all over the galaxy they would have implemented like that (plot ranges of 20000 ly as for ships, no tritium depots - carrier using tritium directly from storage)

So its by design - to have the FC under at least some degree of overseeing from their owner, to have a limited jump range, jump timers and no plotting ability.
Carriers do bring a lot of advantages, but also some operational peculiarities

They are also optional / voluntary - if you decide to use a carrier, you have to take into account the good and the bad.
Taking the good as granted and complaining about the bad is bit weird.
Instead do a Pro/Con list and see if a carrier will do it for you.

If they wanted carriers to roam like bots all over the galaxy they would have implemented like that (plot ranges of 20000 ly as for ships, no tritium depots - carrier using tritium directly from storage)

So its by design - to have the FC under at least some degree of overseeing from their owner, to have a limited jump range, jump timers and no plotting ability.
Carriers do bring a lot of advantages, but also some operational peculiarities

They are also optional / voluntary - if you decide to use a carrier, you have to take into account the good and the bad.
Taking the good as granted and complaining about the bad is bit weird.
Instead do a Pro/Con list and see if a carrier will do it for you.
Exactly what I see FC - some pro's and some con's. I don't understand complaining about upkeep costs and maintenance requirements. Buying FC must be purposely - as personal luxury yaht if someone not know how spend tall pile of credits or working mule to multiplying income treated as investment. But always have plan what I will do after buy my new toy. My FC for example will be personal moving home somewhere in galaxy, I decided to pay for safety and convenience in my exploration role.

It's not the max jump range that annoys me, it's the lack of multiple jumps and the inability to use the stored Tritium without my presence.

A good compromise would indeed be if we could plot routes for one full tank. After that, manual transfer of new tritium into the tank being required. BUT, transfer directly from FC cargo, without requiring it to load onto a ship first.

It's halfway solution but somewhat any - someone must be docked or near FC constantly. I considered to buy second account and make them "maintenance unit" on FC only for buy and donate tritium for route, but last developers actions are not encouraging to invest more into ED.
Oh I totally get that. I already had these old console accounts just sitting around doing nothing (it's kinda hard going back to 20 fps EBL Elite on PS4 after playing on PC), so I thought of a way to put them to use. The only time I log into them is to refuel my carrier.

I will point out that sometimes Horizons can go as low as $5 (IIRC) on Steam, and that's all you need to get a Remote ReFuel Rat for your carrier. If you have a second PC lying around like I do, you can also use that second account to put a copilot in your multiseat ships!

Oh I totally get that. I already had these old console accounts just sitting around doing nothing (it's kinda hard going back to 20 fps EBL Elite on PS4 after playing on PC), so I thought of a way to put them to use. The only time I log into them is to refuel my carrier.

I will point out that sometimes Horizons can go as low as $5 (IIRC) on Steam, and that's all you need to get a Remote ReFuel Rat for your carrier. If you have a second PC lying around like I do, you can also use that second account to put a copilot in your multiseat ships!
One difference between us: You have assets ready to use, I haven't these and must buy it for this purpose. Anyway FC is not for chasing around galaxy, for some repositioning flight few times a year flying together is not a great handicap.

Anyway FC is not for chasing around galaxy,
Right now I'm using my FC for exploration, so it kinda is for chasing around the galaxy, at least in my case. That said, I tend to be on it when moving it, so the alts aren't necessary, just a nice backup.

Still, to the OP's point, Frontier encourages "strange gameplay" when I have to log in, set my carrier to jump, log out for 30 minutes and play another game while waiting for said jump, rinse and repeat until I finally arrive at my destination. Thankfully once I get to my targeted region, I tend to stay there a long time.

Right now I'm using my FC for exploration, so it kinda is for chasing around the galaxy, at least in my case. That said, I tend to be on it when moving it, so the alts aren't necessary, just a nice backup.

Still, to the OP's point, Frontier encourages "strange gameplay" when I have to log in, set my carrier to jump, log out for 30 minutes and play another game while waiting for said jump, rinse and repeat until I finally arrive at my destination. Thankfully once I get to my targeted region, I tend to stay there a long time.
Try my method: set FC jump and route in fast mode to same target system (for me is 8-9 jumps for 500Ly). Next undock and go to quick exploration: FSS only High Metal bodies/WW/ELW and DSS only terraformable. In my case I reach meeting point near same time as my FC (+/- few minutes sometimes), land on FC, make tritium magic if necessary, sell data (earning sometimes weekly upkeep) and repeat jump routine.

Last edited:
Try my method: set FC jump and route in fast mode to same target system (for me is 8-9 jumps for 500Ly). Next undock and go to quick exploration: FSS only High Metal bodies/WW/ELW and DSS only terraformable. In my case I reach meeting point near same time as my FC (+/- few minutes sometimes), land on FC, make tritium magic if necessary, sell data (earning sometimes weekly upkeep) and repeat jump routine.
I explore differently than most people - I have my own "private bubble" that I've set out to survey that's not too terribly far from the official bubble. More importantly, it's right off a "major highway" that's well traveled and explored, so the journey there and back (which I've made many times) does not offer much in the way of unexplored systems. And I have no interest in R2R tourism (scanning systems that have already been discovered), so I'd rather order my carrier's next jump and then go back to playing something else (or doing IRL chores) during that 20-30 minutes of wait time. 🤷‍♂️

Actually FDev encourages you to explore the system you just arrived while the carrier prepares for the next jump.
Or the surroundings.
What they dont encourage is racing the carrier around the galaxy. We have ships for that.

I'd say 2k Ly should be enough, I mean, it's easy to get that in NMS :D
temp.png

Top Bottom